Brooks interview

Did anyone catch the weekly radio show last night? Steve Jones had a great interview with Jeff Brooks. Obviously, Jeff has completely turned things around on the court this year, but it sounds like he has just had a complete attitude adjustment overall. Among the things he said:

• He is enjoying his classes more this year (Communications major)

• He HATED the weight room in his first two years, but has really enjoyed it this year, and is looking forward to adding more strength and bulk in the future.

• He was putting a lot of pressure on himself the first two years to do everything perfectly, but when he made a mistake or something, he would let it get to him and affect him for the rest of the game.

• Steve noted that he is more pleasant to be around this year, and seems to be having a lot more fun. Jeff said he has learned to let things go more this year, rather than focusing on the negatives, and he is having more fun as a result.

ED also noted Jeff’s improvement in attitude this year, and said he has matured a lot. He also said he thinks sometimes about how great it would have been if he could have redshirted Jeff his freshman year (something I’ve thought about myself), but he didn’t have that luxury. He and Jeff both noted that Jeff arrived at PSU with very little knowlege about how to play defense - basically, in high school Jeff played in the middle of a 2-3 zone and his only responsibility was to roam the middle and try to block shots.

ED also mentioned the teams lack of leadership this year - at least vocal leadership. He said DJ has been by far the most vocal person on the court, especially on the defensive end, trying to align everyone properly, etc…

Anyway, just want to point out some of the topics for those that didn’t catch it. Most of us have noticed Jeff’s improvement on the court this year, but it was cool to hear how well things are going off the court as well.

Great to hear. From the moment I first saw him on the floor, I thought Jeff had the moves and ability of a big time player. Hopefully, that stuff will ignite his season.

When I was at college I remember thinking the biggest growth in maturity seemed to happen between freshman year and sophmore year. For Jeff maybe it has happened b/t his sophmore and junior years. Again, this is a good reminder to me that these are boys becoming men in every area of their lives. Great to hear about Jeff’s growth in areas beyond the court (school, personality, etc). I feel like he’s been around for a while now but he’s only a little over half way through his college career (maybe 5/8 of the way there), so here’s to hoping the best is yet to come for Jeff.

I’ve always hoped he could follow a similar path of Gyasi Cline-Heard. Obviously Gyasi was more physical and emotional, but both were two of the most athletic fowards PSU ever recruited but struggled with consistency/skill development the first 2-3 years of their career.

His game is night-and-day compared to last year.

[quote=“vslice02, post:4, topic:468”]I’ve always hoped he could follow a similar path of Gyasi Cline-Heard. Obviously Gyasi was more physical and emotional, but both were two of the most athletic fowards PSU ever recruited but struggled with consistency/skill development the first 2-3 years of their career.

His game is night-and-day compared to last year.[/quote]

If Brooks can improve in the same proportion Gyasi did from junior to senior, Jeff will be one heck of a player next year. He just might be anyway if he continues to gain confidence this year.