PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Brian Oliver

@Ben_jones88
Penn State has contacted Georgia Tech basketball transfer Brian Oliver about his future.
TweetDeck • 6/27/11 9:34 PM

This would be a solid get if it happen

Certainly a solid get, along with Kenny Anderson and Dennis “3-D” Scott. ;D

Being from Delaware and wanting to stay closer to home, he’ll probably search out a Big East school or George Mason (to be with Paul Hewitt), before he sniffs PSU. But maybe, just maybe, Chambers has the goods to get a talent like Brian.

Would he have to sit out this year?

Yes.

Taking an official visit to Seton Hall on Tuesday.

http://twitter.com/OliverGT11/status/87574218056802304

[quote=“noobd, post:5, topic:2517”]Taking an official visit to Seton Hall on Tuesday.

http://twitter.com/OliverGT11/status/87574218056802304[/quote]

In July?

I’m assuming the NCAA has different rules for transfers as opposed to high school recruits.

Somewhat.

I think a recruit gets 5 official visits in a collegiate playing career.

If he takes 3 in high school, he has 2 more for transfer.

Would like to hear from Lar on this. I think I saw that Oliver has four visits, I could have made that up, though.

I'm assuming the NCAA has different rules for transfers as opposed to high school recruits.

Somewhat.

I think a recruit gets 5 official visits in a collegiate playing career.

If he takes 3 in high school, he has 2 more for transfer.

I don’t think that’s the context that he is talking about. I’m sure his comment is in reference to Oliver taking a July visit. Since it has been previously pointed out that no visits are allowed in July, the poster is wondering how Oliver can visit then and speculating that perhaps visits for transfers aren’t included in the ban. Actually, it appears the full July ban on visits only applies to unofficial visits. July official visits are covered by dead periods bans. During July, dead periods run through July 5th, then July 16th through the 21st. So Oliver could go on an official visit from the 6th to the 15th or the 22nd though the 31st.

Also, you’re comment about a kid only being allowed five visits in total is off. Kids are allowed five official visits while in high school, then five more beginning October 15th following their senior year of school (whether they graduate or not, they still get five more officials).

Your wish is my command. See above.

Oliver to Seton Hall.

Congrats…NOW, can ya beat ~itt sometime!! :wink:

[quote="noobd, post:9, topic:2517"]Would like to hear from Lar on this. I think I saw that Oliver has four visits, I could have made that up, though.[/quote]

Your wish is my command. See above.

Thanks Lar. I was pretty sure about the 5 & 5 visit rule and was only assuming about the visiting during July for transfers. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

This is pretty recent, no? http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300252550

:smiley:

Congrats.................................NOW, can ya beat ~itt sometime!! ;)

This is pretty recent, no? http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300252550

:smiley:

OK…got me…NOW do it again :wink: and again :wink:

Penn State was actually one of five teams interested in Oliver and one of three (Seton Hall, Missouri) that were talking directly to Oliver. Georgetown and Syracuse were going through his AAU coach. That info is from Oliver.

Closer than we thought?

Look, this is not to be negative or a downer. I predicted an increase in “second places.” We’ve got to reach a bit to hope we can get lucky, but eventually will settle into our niche and try to improve from there.

Sounds familiar to another school I follow. Its a multiple step process, you don’t just go from mediocre to NCAA every 2 or 3 seasons in a couple years (unless you’re committing significant recruiting violations).

Start getting Chambers & Penn State’s name out to the Philly kids, land one or two big names and hopefully you have a ripple effect. Land a Rondae Jefferson in 2013 and Philly / Metro recruiting could take off.

Getting serious looks from big names is the first step. Anything other than that right now is gravy.

Does anybody know where PSU stands with Jefferson?