Brent Musberger

Brent is living proof that you don’t need to know much about sports to be a big time broadcaster. My friends and I have been saying the same thing about Brent for the last 30 years.

Speaking of commentators, I thought Knight did a pretty great job tonight on the Badgers/Blue Devils game.

He’s an absolute joy as an analyst.

[quote="bstanf, post:2, topic:403"]Speaking of commentators, I thought Knight did a pretty great job tonight on the Badgers/Blue Devils game.[/quote]

I agree. Knight was really good tonight. Both he and Brent were great to listen to, though Brent got a little rah-rah Big Ten. I guess that balances out Vitale’s ACC slobberings all over the ESPN air waves.

BTW, I’ve always liked Musberger. He’ll get a bad rap at times, but he brings a genuine excitement and entertainment to the telecast.

No Brent Musberger thread is complete without a link to the Brent Musberger Drinking Game ;D

^^^ This is the correct answer.

I just watched the game on tape. Knight was “on his game” last night. Many great game insights. BUT, in the past I have see Booby K. broadcast games that he did not seem to “want to be there” and thus his broadcasting was very dark.
I just don’t like Brent. I will admit he is a broadcasting “talent.” But I don’t like his “all hype” style. I was surprised how little play-by-play he actually did. He basically just “summarizes big pictures” instead of broadcaster the actual playing of the game. The “big pictures” he keep summarizing were…Bobby Knight’s great prior coaching career, College football, basketball conference prestige, etc, etc. I don’t mind his talking about about these topics. In the “dead time.” He hyped during playing of a very entertaining game.

[quote=“tundra, post:7, topic:403”]I just watched the game on tape. Knight was “on his game” last night. Many great game insights. BUT, in the past I have see Booby K. broadcast games that he did not seem to “want to be there” and thus his broadcasting was very dark.
I just don’t like Brent. I will admit he is a broadcasting “talent.” But I don’t like his “all hype” style. I was surprised how little play-by-play he actually did. He basically just “summarizes big pictures” instead of broadcaster the actual playing of the game. The “big pictures” he keep summarizing were…Bobby Knight’s great prior coaching career, College football, basketball conference prestige, etc, etc. I don’t mind his talking about about these topics. In the “dead time.” He hyped during playing of a very entertaining game. [/quote]

Let me be a contrarian for a bit (how unusual of me ;D )

When it comes to radio, I think it’s important for the announcer to broadcast the “actual playing of the game”. But when you are on TV, you can see it for your own eyes. The “big picture” summary is more important than what’s actually happening in front of you. However, I do think that Musberger does carry it a bit too far. What he should do is inform the viewer who’s responsible for an action that’s going to make it into the box score - you can see that there was a bucket, but maybe you can’t tell exactly who shot it. Or clarify, if the shot was a three or a two if it’s close to the line. Or who got the rebound that started the break, etc. Or when a substitution takes place. What he doesn’t need to do is describe the motion of the ball, which is a lot of what you heard when you listened to the PSU kids do the ESPNU broadcasts. Unfortunately, Musberger does too often get caught up in his interchanges with his color guy and he misses key actions on the floor.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:8, topic:403”]Let me be a contrarian for a bit (how unusual of me ;D )

When it comes to radio, I think it’s important for the announcer to broadcast the “actual playing of the game”. But when you are on TV, you can see it for your own eyes. The “big picture” summary is more important than what’s actually happening in front of you. However, I do think that Musberger does carry it a bit too far. What he should do is inform the viewer who’s responsible for an action that’s going to make it into the box score - you can see that there was a bucket, but maybe you can’t tell exactly who shot it. Or clarify, if the shot was a three or a two if it’s close to the line. Or who got the rebound that started the break, etc. Or when a substitution takes place. What he doesn’t need to do is describe the motion of the ball, which is a lot of what you heard when you listened to the PSU kids do the ESPNU broadcasts. Unfortunately, Musberger does too often get caught up in his interchanges with his color guy and he misses key actions on the floor. [/quote]

It is funny you say that because my wife who loves watching sports really prefers radio over TV annoucers for just that reason. She like to have every picture drawn. She feels that it enhances her understanding of what is happening.

I hate hearing PA annoucers that think they are play by play guys. I really feel that this is a dying art.

[quote="bstanf, post:2, topic:403"]Speaking of commentators, I thought Knight did a pretty great job tonight on the Badgers/Blue Devils game.[/quote]

In fariness to Brent, from what I was able to tune in for, I thought he brought out good commentary from Knight. I understood the brain that was sitting next to him, and tried very hard to get his perspective into the broadcast.

My favorite bit of color commentary was during the Illinois game, they were talking about how Tisdale’s a big fisherman, and with his height and long arms, he’d make a kick ass noodler.

I have no problem with Brent, but I didn’t like how quickly he declared the big ten winners last night. Wisconsin goes up by 3 with a few seconds left and he proclaimed the big ten victors while the OSU FSU game is still being played. Yes that was the likely outcome, but he should have at least waited till his game was over.

Yeah, I heard the comment also. It is interesting ( a little, anyway) that Noodling is only legal in the following states: Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas, Illinois, Arkansas, and Missouri.

Personally, the only law that should apply to an activity that involves people sticking their hands into dark, underwater nooks and crannies that can’t be seen is natural selection.

That’s another of his foibles! It’s like he has to set the scene in this grand way and he has to call the outcome first. I like him, though.

At the risk of getting a little Larry on you guys, nobody, not even Larry himself, has spelled the guy’s name right yet. It’s Musburger. I’ve spelled it wrong enough while slamming him to finally learn it.

[quote="cramx3, post:12, topic:403"]I have no problem with Brent, but I didn't like how quickly he declared the big ten winners last night. Wisconsin goes up by 3 with a few seconds left and he proclaimed the big ten victors while the OSU FSU game is still being played. Yes that was the likely outcome, but he should have at least waited till his game was over.[/quote]

That’s another of his foibles! It’s like he has to set the scene in this grand way and he has to call the outcome first. I like him, though.

Though, if he doesn’t call it a little prematurely, he doesn’t get to call it at all, because he’ll be off the air.