PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Brennan's take on Bon Jovi

Similar to Dave’s but with DeChellis and team (most of whom never heard of Bon Jovi) quotes.

[size=12pt]Bon Jovi Rocks Penn State’s World[/size]

Do people really not know who Bon Jovi is? Wow I feel old :slight_smile:

Heck I remember when I didn’t know who Bon Jovi was because I was old. It can work two ways.

This team will be better off in the long run for all these hurdles. Sometimes I think distractions are good for a program, keeps them from relaxing.

I think this is why PSU has always played well on the road. They don’t really have a home.

Gotta remember that basketbal is more of a hip-hop culture.

…BTW, a few years ago during the Super Bowl halftime show, the Rolling Stones were playing. My niece and nephew looked totally puzzled when they asked “who is that?” I responded " WHAAAAAT ??!!?!?? :o "

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:1886"]Do people really not know who Bon Jovi is? Wow I feel old :)[/quote]

Gotta remember that basketbal is more of a hip-hop culture.

Sure, but I’m more than aware of artists in other genres that have been on the charts for 25+ years, even if I don’t know much about their actual music. Then again I’ve lived through those 25+ years of music where as those guys haven’t.

Well, it could be worse. They could have to play in Michigan like what happened to the Florida Marlins series vs the Seattle Mariners. Even though there was 3 days between the U2 concert and the end of the Mariners series that still wasn’t enough time for U2 to set up their stage and practice. So now the Marlins have to fly cross country and have a home series in Seattle, and I don’t get to see Ichiro. At least the Marlins are getting their baseball stadium next year where they won’t have these scheduling conflicts, but shouldn’t Penn State not have these in season? Seems someone’s really dropping the ball here.

What do people know about the existing management contract of the BJC. What is the length of the existing contract??
Is a better contract or a new management company possible?? Do we really need a management company??
Any good options?? ???

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:1886”]What do people know about the existing management contract of the BJC. What is the length of the existing contract??
Is a better contract or a new management company possible?? Do we really need a management company??
Any good options?? ???[/quote]

I think Jay Paterno would do a great job :slight_smile:

Really happy with all of this attention being paid to our guys and the crap they’ve put up with for years. From an alumni perspective who has had first hand knowledge of dealing with the BJC, their staff and ops personnel…this is NOTHING new. It’s about time everyone found out just how incompetent Bob Howard really is.

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:1886”]What do people know about the existing management contract of the BJC. What is the length of the existing contract??
Any good options?? ???[/quote]Find a booster so they can have a nice basketball arena built for them . Call the hockey guy maybe he has some leftover $

Come to think of it, when some of these new hip-hop artists hit the airwaves/screen, I have to ask “who is this?” Where’s Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and Doug E. Fresh?

I know all these departments within the U have their own budgets but at the end of the day isn’t Housing/Food Services just a different pocket in the same pair of pants? Let them run their events and let the AD run theirs. The AD knows better than the sheets and pillowcases people how many people are going to show up at a mid-weeker against Fairfield and how many fans are due at a Saturday matinee against ranked opposition. Staff the venues accordingly and it might not even cost the AD $20,000 for a lightly attended game and they average it out against the big games. I guess though, when the BJC opened the BB team was good so the AD was probably getting a good deal at the time. Nobody complained then because nobody knew any better. BTW, who got the parking gate back when that was charged, the AD or the HFS, or somebody else?

…and Whoodini?

BTW… How much does the AD have to pay for to PRACTICE at the BJC? If the team is utilizing the arena, I’m sure there is a cost involved.

I think the same people can run the operations of the BJC whether it be a basketball game or a monster truck rally (and it would be very inefficient to have two different groups do the different events). But it seems like there should be some collaboration - i.e. the AD should have staff that participates in the BJC planning/scheduling meetings (at least for events that will occur during hoops season), to represent the interests of the basketball teams.

When Tom Bradley was said to be going for the Pitt job, I wondered how Scrap would adapt to an environment where someone else decided where you played, practiced and what uniforms you wear. Not sure that that isn’t the way it should be, but most successful programs have ceded total control of all aspects of the program to the head coach/CEO.

ED starts getting them to the NCAAs or the bubble regularly and he will get that.

Maybe we should start pooling for MegaMillions tickets and agree to build a basketball arena if we win.

It could happen and it would make a hell of a movie ala “It Could Happen To You”. People say I look like Tobey Maguire so he could play byake. :wink:

[quote=“byake, post:18, topic:1886”]Maybe we should start pooling for MegaMillions tickets and agree to build a basketball arena if we win.

It could happen and it would make a hell of a movie ala “It Could Happen To You”. People say I look like Tobey Maguire so he could play byake. ;)[/quote]

I love PSU but I’m not quite that philanthropic.

I bought 5 plays last night and didn’t hit. Sorry.

I’d certainly donate the money to cover Jordan Center demolition costs.