PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Brace Yourself

Have always loved PSU basketball, but we all better get realistic as a new season kicks off. This is a team which will win 3-6 Big Ten games, with four seniors in the starting lineup. I wouldn’t worry too much about how the loss to Mississipp affects the RPI! Furman and Central Connecticut (at home) are not at all indicative of what is in store in the Big Ten.

The program is at a very low point right now, and it would take some time to correct that fact. Time, good recruiting, and good coaching will all be required. I’m still always rooting, but not optimistic regarding the short-term future at all.

So wait a second - you’re suggesting that Furman and Central Connecticut are not of the same caliber as teams in the Big 10? Are you an insider or something? How else could you come to such conclusions, and why hasn’t anyone let the rest of the country know this yet?

It’s refreshing finally hearing this - I had no clue

Very clever responses. May I direct you to the multiple posts where there is considerable discussion about how the Mississippi game may have adversely affected the team RPI, and how we need to do well in the out of conference in the event we are a “bubble team”.

If you two know this already, help your buddies on this board so that they can reduce their expectations a little bit, and not find themselves quite so deflated in a month or so.

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:4, topic:1567”]Very clever responses. May I direct you to the multiple posts where there is considerable discussion about how the Mississippi game may have adversely affected the team RPI, and how we need to do well in the out of conference in the event we are a “bubble team”.

If you two know this already, help your buddies on this board so that they can reduce their expectations a little bit, and not find themselves quite so deflated in a month or so.[/quote]

Then may I direct you to the post that shows that it didn’t adversely affect our RPI?

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:4, topic:1567”]Very clever responses. May I direct you to the multiple posts where there is considerable discussion about how the Mississippi game may have adversely affected the team RPI, and how we need to do well in the out of conference in the event we are a “bubble team”.

If you two know this already, help your buddies on this board so that they can reduce their expectations a little bit, and not find themselves quite so deflated in a month or so.[/quote]
You know, it is possible to have high expectations while not being emotionally attached to a team.

Secondly,

“the Mississippi game may have adversely affected the team RPI, and how we need to do well in the out of conference in the event we are a ‘bubble team’.”
What about that quote is incorrect? You may not think that we have a shot at being a bubble team, but that statement is still accurate. Some people have a different opinion than you when it comes to the team’s success this season. Big deal - isn’t that what message boards are for?

What is it you think you have figured out that nobody else does? Of course it’s a long shot that this season goes much of anywhere, especially considering how strong the big10 is this year… does that mean we should all be like you and just sit around pouting about all our losses before they even happen? No thanks.

I happen to think we look pretty solid early this season, a lot better than I expected even. We’re still long shots, but I give us a puncher’s chance against nearly anybody when you got a guy like Talor Battle on your squad - we lost a lot of close games last year, no reason we shouldn’t compete almost every night this season also. How about waiting until some bad stuff actually happens this year before you come raining on everyone’s parade - we’re not collectively stupid here (although individually i wonder at times about some), we certainly understand the situation better than you by the sounds of it. We just choose not to harp on it while we’re still very much alive this season. Maybe try it yourself once in awhile you sad sap.

[quote="LarryJoe, post:4, topic:1567"]Very clever responses. May I direct you to the multiple posts where there is considerable discussion about how the Mississippi game may have adversely affected the team RPI, and how we need to do well in the out of conference in the event we are a "bubble team".

What is it you think you have figured out that nobody else does? Of course it’s a long shot that this season goes much of anywhere, especially considering how strong the big10 is this year… does that mean we should all be like you and just sit around pouting about all our losses before they even happen? No thanks.

I happen to think we look pretty solid early this season, a lot better than I expected even. We’re still long shots, but I give us a puncher’s chance against nearly anybody when you got a guy like Talor Battle on your squad - we lost a lot of close games last year, no reason we shouldn’t compete almost every night this season also. How about waiting until some bad stuff actually happens this year before you come raining on everyone’s parade - we’re not collectively stupid here (although individually i wonder at times about some), we certainly understand the situation better than you by the sounds of it. We just choose not to harp on it while we’re still very much alive this season. Maybe try it yourself once in awhile you sad sap.

Maybe the originator of this thread was simply trying to get people to be a bit more realistic. Any team that fails to press PSU and pressure them is foolish. If teams wear us down, we will have trouble going to our bench. Yes, the first five will create some competitive games, but the B10 could be a very LONG journey. I think this thread was an attempt to ease people into enjoying the games and stop the talk about Bubble situations. It is a huge leap from where we are to an NCAA bubble-maybe an NIT bubble is more realistic.

Finally, some fodder for Deadwood. It’s been way to quiet there.

I don’t think it’s deadwood discussion. Just silly discussion. Why would you continually argue on how the season will play out?? ??? Why not just wait a little while and WATCH the season play out.

I still think 6-6.5 Big Ten wins is the O/U – not that radical of a thread.

That would be me … ha ha. ;D ;D I can’t believe I spawned THIS. ::slight_smile:

perhaps this will help…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2vGUXhNSY#

I would actually take the over on this. I think we’ll get 7 wins.

[quote="noobd, post:11, topic:1567"]I still think 6-6.5 Big Ten wins is the O/U -- not that radical of a thread.[/quote]

I would actually take the over on this. I think we’ll get 7 wins.

6 or 7 seems to be the objective consensus, thats why 6.5 seems like a solid number. 6 or 7 is reasonable.

Thanks Craftsy21 for the “support”. My purpose was really to avoid the annual disparagement of the team in late January. The current optimists with high expectations will, to some extent, be the first to blast the team when it doesn’t deliver the expected product. Players will be criticized. Ed will be criticized. Lower expectations now might help kindle a more positive attitude later.

I’ve watched the team play. I think I know what we have. I’ve given my opinion as to what we will be able to do in the Big Ten. Although I would agree that an NIT bid is possible, I would say it is not probable. I guess that all officially qualifes me as a “sad sap”.

To be sure, I’ll be hoping from square 1 that I am completely wrong and all of the more knowledgeable basketball minds are correct. Just don’t be throwing the team and the coaches under the bus in January-February.

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:16, topic:1567”]Thanks Craftsy21 for the “support”. My purpose was really to avoid the annual disparagement of the team in late January. The current optimists with high expectations will, to some extent, be the first to blast the team when it doesn’t deliver the expected product. Players will be criticized. Ed will be criticized. Lower expectations now might help kindle a more positive attitude later.

I’ve watched the team play. I think I know what we have. I’ve given my opinion as to what we will be able to do in the Big Ten. Although I would agree that an NIT bid is possible, I would say it is not probable. I guess that all officially qualifes me as a “sad sap”.

To be sure, I’ll be hoping from square 1 that I am completely wrong and all of the more knowledgeable basketball minds are correct. Just don’t be throwing the team and the coaches under the bus in January-February.[/quote]

I see. Somehow it’s better to throw them under the bus in November-December.

I know that there could be a time when the team starts to lose this season. Why not enjoy what is happening now, we don’t always get to enjoy winning so why not enjoy it. The team seems improved from last year and we should do better than last year. We can take each game as it comes and see what happens. I’m just really concerned about our bench. Maybe someone will find a way to be a solid contributor from the bench.

My purpose was really to avoid the annual disparagement of the team in late January.

By doing it in November. Got you. Makes sense now. ::slight_smile:

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:1, topic:1567”]Have always loved PSU basketball, but we all better get realistic as a new season kicks off. This is a team which will win 3-6 Big Ten games, with four seniors in the starting lineup. I wouldn’t worry too much about how the loss to Mississipp affects the RPI! Furman and Central Connecticut (at home) are not at all indicative of what is in store in the Big Ten.

The program is at a very low point right now, and it would take some time to correct that fact. Time, good recruiting, and good coaching will all be required. I’m still always rooting, but not optimistic regarding the short-term future at all.[/quote]

It’s way too early to say any of this with certainty. I was as negative as anybody after last year’s big ten start and the transfers. but we don’t have any idea what this team’s going to do yet. had they lost to Furman or CCSU, we’d be in trouble, but basically nothing has happened and we hardly know anything about the team right now. after Wed we’ll know a little more, but I think you have to wait until about mid January to make an assessment. having 4 seniors starting might count for more than you think