Borovnjak and Oliver

Given the struggles of our frontcourt, I’m a little surprised we haven’t seen more appearances by Sasa Borovnjak and Billy Oliver in recent games. Anyone have any insight on how they’re progressing?

Is Borovnjak challenged to play defense at this level, as is the case with most freshmen? Is Oliver still dealing with health problems (effects of two concussions last season)?

Maybe that in the 7 months or so this year they have been playing together with the team they have not shown to be as good as the other frontline players.

Billy Oliver is still having problems with headaches and his practice time is limited and sporadic. I understand it’s a day to day situation…sometimes actually hour to hour. Unfortunately, the team won’t be able to count on much of a contribution from him.

It’s a real shame, because given our current situation, I think he may have been a real help to the team this year.

Have to believe they’d be seeing time if they were showing they could handle this level of play in practice. I mean, they were given brief looks early in the season and I don’t think either looked anywhere near as far along as even Ott - who would still be seen as pretty raw and underdeveloped in a lot of ways.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:701"]Maybe that in the 7 months or so this year they have been playing together with the team they have not shown to be as good as the other frontline players.[/quote]

Have to believe they’d be seeing time if they were showing they could handle this level of play in practice. I mean, they were given brief looks early in the season and I don’t think either looked anywhere near as far along as even Ott - who would still be seen as pretty raw and underdeveloped in a lot of ways.

Agree. Sounds like Oliver isn’t healthy, and Sasa must not be showing much in practice. If a player can’t get it done in practice, why would a coach have confidence putting them in a real game?

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:701"]Maybe that in the 7 months or so this year they have been playing together with the team they have not shown to be as good as the other frontline players.[/quote]

Agree. Sounds like Oliver isn’t healthy, and Sasa must not be showing much in practice. If a player can’t get it done in practice, why would a coach have confidence putting them in a real game?

Sad, but most likely true.

aNSWER: 2 more recruiting mistakes and inability to evaluate talent by the coaching staff.

How is Oliver a recruiting mistake? The kid got injured.

And Sasa really hasn’t gotten a chance.

aNSWER: 2 more recruiting mistakes and inability to evaluate talent by the coaching staff.

If he isn’t getting a chance with as bad as things are going do you ever think he will??

That to me =s a mistake

[quote="hoopla, post:7, topic:701"]aNSWER: 2 more recruiting mistakes and inability to evaluate talent by the coaching staff.[/quote]

If he isn’t getting a chance with as bad as things are going do you ever think he will??

That to me =s a mistake

agreed

If you can’t get a chance when Andrew Ott is your only bigman giving you anything then you just must not be that good. I’m hoping I’m wrong but it looks like Ed might have taken another hack and missed yet again.

Calling Sasa a recruiting mistake right now in his career blows my mind.

[quote=“State4Life, post:12, topic:701”]Calling Sasa a recruiting mistake right now in his career blows my mind.[/quote]I’m not…key word being “might”…don’t know what other conclusion you can draw with him getting 0 playing mins on this current team

Calling Sasa a recruiting mistake right now in his career blows my mind.
I'm not...key word being "might"..don't know what other conclusion you can draw with him getting 0 playing mins on this current team

my concern is that ED isn’t even throwing him out there for a few spot minutes as a message to the older guys. makes me think he’s light years away from contributing. you know that in this dire situation ED’s not going to ignore potential contributors.

[quote="State4Life, post:12, topic:701"]Calling Sasa a recruiting mistake right now in his career blows my mind.[/quote]I'm not...key word being "might"..don't know what other conclusion you can draw with him getting 0 playing mins on this current team

my concern is that ED isn’t even throwing him out there for a few spot minutes as a message to the older guys. makes me think he’s light years away from contributing. you know that in this dire situation ED’s not going to ignore potential contributors.

Play him in a 1-3-1. NW plays that, and they’re terrific.

He’s not getting off the bench…

This isn’t like we’ve got a frontcourt that’s lighting it up here.

[quote=“TJM78, post:16, topic:701”]He’s not getting off the bench…

This isn’t like we’ve got a frontcourt that’s lighting it up here.[/quote]
True, but one can also interpret it this way:
PSU has 5 forwards (maybe 6) that are in front of Sasa. Brooks, Jones, Jackson, Edwards and Ott. The 6th could be Oliver. 4 of those 5 are a “higher” class than Sasa. 3 of those 4 also have played significant minutes, Ott has played significant minutes this year. They may not be producing, but there are plenty of veteran bodies ahead of Sasa. This can explain why he hasn’t seen the floor much. Don’t forget there is a handful more games to play, with the way PSU is playing, we could very well see Sasa in the near future. He also brings a more offensive presence to the floor, one that PSU seems to be lacking.

[quote="State4Life, post:12, topic:701"]Calling Sasa a recruiting mistake right now in his career blows my mind.[/quote]

I agree. These conversations about these 2 guys sound an awful like what we used to hear about Joonas and his lack of PT.

[quote="State4Life, post:12, topic:701"]Calling Sasa a recruiting mistake right now in his career blows my mind.[/quote]

I agree. These conversations about these 2 guys sound an awful like what we used to hear about Joonas and his lack of PT.

agreed. ED is on his last legs. If those guys could contribute, they would be playing.

Agreed, but there was a poster, sugarjoz, a student, who used to post here about playing with the team. He said Joonas was better than Ott, and he was playing against them, so you never know. This was before Ott was eligible to play.

In the little we saw Sasa play, while there were clear weaknesses, at least he posted up, made some inside points and got fouled a bit. When was the last time AJ played with his back to the basket? I don’t think I’ve seen it the entire year. That’s a problem, IMO. I’m also scratching my head about what Lewis Preston is doing, because if anything, AJ’s inside play has gone backwards. How about a drop step once in awhile.

It’s been a strange season. Vs. Sacred Heart, DJ posted up the whole game, dominated, had something like 23 points on lights out shooting, and since, he’s now a perimeter player. It’s not like we have a small front line. VT’s and Temple’s best big men, both named Allen, were both 6’7" and killed us. Sims is 6’8", and UM’s only inside threat, yet vs. them, he killed us, and we get into a 3 point shooting contest. Think about what might have happened if we got it into Ott, Jones, Brooks every time and Sims had to defend vs. all 3, as they were rotated in. Think that might have gotten him into foul trouble? No, we avoid that, and he keeps his energy to light us up for 25 points at the other end.