Boeheim blasts Penn State's decision to join the Big Ten

From a 1990 article in The Daily Collegian.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1990/11/11-08-90tdc/11-08-90dsports-04.asp

Seems like Boeheim was wrong about Paterno and the fate of Penn State Football, but so far we’ve been unable to disprove his supposition about the fate of Penn State Basketball (ninth paragraph).

When the topic of Pitt joining the Big Ten was recently broached to Jamie Dixon, he expressed essentially the same doubts about Pitt Basketball’s viability in the Big Ten. Can’t recruit East Coast blue-chippers to conference that plays in the Midwest.

I don’t resurrect this article to suggest joining the Big Ten was a mistake, rather, just to illustrate how difficult the basketball proposition is at Penn State and how unattractive it might be to a “big name” coach.

Boeheim said Penn State's football program, which has gone 226-59-3 and won two national championships in 25 seasons under Joe Paterno, will not be able to win in the Big Ten.

“I think Joe pulled off a move that will allow him to go down as the winningest Penn State coach,” Boeheim said in published reports. "Because they won’t win anymore, Joe will be sitting in retirement saying, ‘They can’t do it without me.’ "

I don’t think the article has it right. Sounds to me like he was saying after Joe retires they won’t win anymore. And obviously that is yet to be seen. As far as hoops, sounds like he’s been right so far also.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:854”]From a 1990 article in The Daily Collegian.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1990/11/11-08-90tdc/11-08-90dsports-04.asp

Seems like Boeheim was wrong about Paterno and the fate of Penn State Football, but so far we’ve been unable to disprove his supposition about the fate of Penn State Basketball (ninth paragraph).

When the topic of Pitt joining the Big Ten was recently broached to Jamie Dixon, he expressed essentially the same doubts about Pitt Basketball’s viability in the Big Ten. Can’t recruit East Coast blue-chippers to conference that plays in the Midwest.

I don’t resurrect this article out to suggest joining the Big Ten was a mistake, rather, just to illustrate how difficult the basketball proposition is at Penn State and how unattractive it might be to a “big name” coach. [/quote]

Baloney. PSU is a super attraction to a coach. PSU is a sleeping giant!

whoops, wrong post. ;D

Boeheim could have summed it up very easily

“Penn State will never become a player in hoops because they won’t cheat nor will they take questionable kids who should not be anywhere near a college campus”

BTW, I love what JoePa said about JimBo. Sure, he’s won one since then, but it was with a Rent-A-Player for a year in Carmelo. Boeheim has always been overrated in my mind. With the recruiting base and the amount of talent he has had. To win only one time, with a rented stud no less, is not my idea of a good coach.

dude- Boheim is a good coach, come on now. You upset if he accepts the Penn State job?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:854”][quote]Boeheim said Penn State’s football program, which has gone 226-59-3 and won two national championships in 25 seasons under Joe Paterno, will not be able to win in the Big Ten.

“I think Joe pulled off a move that will allow him to go down as the winningest Penn State coach,” Boeheim said in published reports. "Because they won’t win anymore, Joe will be sitting in retirement saying, ‘They can’t do it without me.’ "[/quote]

I don’t think the article has it right. Sounds to me like he was saying after Joe retires they won’t win anymore. And obviously that is yet to be seen. As far as hoops, sounds like he’s been right so far also. [/quote]

Are you suggesting that if PSU’s next football coach (or any after) doesn’t win 394+ career games that JimBo is right?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:854"][quote]Boeheim said Penn State's football program, which has gone 226-59-3 and won two national championships in 25 seasons under Joe Paterno, will not be able to win in the Big Ten.

“I think Joe pulled off a move that will allow him to go down as the winningest Penn State coach,” Boeheim said in published reports. "Because they won’t win anymore, Joe will be sitting in retirement saying, ‘They can’t do it without me.’ "[/quote]

I don’t think the article has it right. Sounds to me like he was saying after Joe retires they won’t win anymore. And obviously that is yet to be seen. As far as hoops, sounds like he’s been right so far also.[/quote]

Are you suggesting that if PSU’s next football coach (or any after) doesn’t win 394+ career games that JimBo is right?

No. Just saying that he was saying PSU won’t win after Joe is gone, not that we wouldn’t win in the Big 10 while Joe is still here. So it’s still up in the air since the old man won’t just quit already.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:854"][quote]Boeheim said Penn State's football program, which has gone 226-59-3 and won two national championships in 25 seasons under Joe Paterno, will not be able to win in the Big Ten.

I don’t think the article has it right. Sounds to me like he was saying after Joe retires they won’t win anymore. And obviously that is yet to be seen. As far as hoops, sounds like he’s been right so far also.[/quote]

No. Just saying that he was saying PSU won’t win after Joe is gone, not that we wouldn’t win in the Big 10 while Joe is still here. So it’s still up in the air since the old man won’t just quit already.

By the time Joe is done, he might have coached as many seasons in the Big Ten as he did before we joined. Comparing anyone to Joe is going to be unfair. JimBo says that Joe set himself up as PSUs all-time winningest coach by joining the Big Ten? HA! Try the NCAAs (Div 1) all-time winningest coach.

He takes academically questionable kids. What do you think Devendorf’s SAT’s were? I know two players on his current team that not only PSU was aware of, but knew they couldn’t get in to PSU, and they would have liked both of them.

This statement from the article is still true…

The last time Boeheim faced a Penn State team was Jan. 25, 1982 at Rec Hall. The Orange beat former Coach Dick Harter's Lions, 69-68. The two teams have played 104 times since 1917 with Syracuse holding a 61-43 advantage.

28 years without a game… while there were 104 games in the previous 65 years. What a shame.

[quote=“MarkH, post:11, topic:854”]This statement from the article is still true…

28 years without a game… while there were 104 games in the previous 65 years. What a shame.[/quote]

That is a shame. But Syracuse joined the Big East and voted against PSU joining them. Who do you blame?

I respect him as a coach. Just never been impressed with him as so many have. I do like the fact that he’s been at the Cuse for the long haul. That I guess speaks to his character as a man.

[quote="hoops19, post:6, topic:854"]dude- Boheim is a good coach, come on now. You upset if he accepts the Penn State job?[/quote]

I respect him as a coach. Just never been impressed with him as so many have. I do like the fact that he’s been at the Cuse for the long haul. That I guess speaks to his character as a man.

He a 'Cuse Alum.

[quote="hoops19, post:6, topic:854"]dude- Boheim is a good coach, come on now. You upset if he accepts the Penn State job?[/quote]

He a 'Cuse Alum.

Yeah, but people want to raise d-bags like Calipari and Pitino up high, yet all they are looking for is the next big pay day from X school or X team.

I love the fact that JoePa has stayed the course for 60 years at PSU. I should at least give the same props to JimBo, who has been at Cuse for a shade over 40.

"I guarantee, and you can write a story, Penn State basketball will never be successful in the Big Ten," he said. "I will give you my heart if they are. I'm talking ever. Just not going to happen."

Gotta admit, he made this comment over 20 years ago. How profetic was he?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:16, topic:854”][quote=Boeheim blasts PSU’s decision to join Big Ten ]“I guarantee, and you can write a story, Penn State basketball will never be successful in the Big Ten,” he said. “I will give you my heart if they are. I’m talking ever. Just not going to happen.”
[/quote]

Gotta admit, he made this comment over 20 years ago. How profetic was he?[/quote]

I don’t think it takes a brain surgeon to say what he said, just a guy with big kahunas to make a statement as such. To do anything, he really felt that PSU had to recruit in the hotbeds of NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC. By going to the Big Ten, the Lions were basically moving away from their target areas.

Ohio State, Michigan/MSU, Indiana/Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin all have their states pretty much covered when it comes to the very best talent. PSU needed to build up their recruiting base, but those kids in those areas grow up wanting to play in the Big East and ACC or even the Big 5 (Temple/St Joe’s/LaSalle), not the Big Ten. Add to that, the fact that Central PA and Western PA are not hoop hotbeds, like those of the aforementioned East Coast areas.

So then I ask, where is the talent coming from? Albany (Battle/Buie), Texas (Babb/Frazier), Louisville (Brooks), Western PA (Jackson), Cincinnati (Edwards - wow a Big Ten locale) and previously from Connecticut (Clax) and Columbus (Corn). Not one from NYC, Philly (does Jones or Ott count as top talent?), Baltimore or DC.

We’ve been challenged and we’ll continue to be challenged…though I feel ED has done a decent job in getting some talent to come to PSU. Just not any top ones over 6’6" (Brooks/DJ?), and that is truly where we have a void.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:16, topic:854”][quote=Boeheim blasts PSU’s decision to join Big Ten ]“I guarantee, and you can write a story, Penn State basketball will never be successful in the Big Ten,” he said. “I will give you my heart if they are. I’m talking ever. Just not going to happen.”
[/quote]

Gotta admit, he made this comment over 20 years ago. How profetic was he?[/quote]

Boeheim isn’t prescient - this was an educated guess based on the lack of history in hoops at PSU. Personally, I think he was jealous of Penn State when he made all of these comments about them failing in the Big Ten. If Penn State ever did build a successful basketball program - Syracuse would be hurt by the extra recruiting competition. Will it ever happen? Don’t know but I think it could with the right staff. I doubt Boeheim has any heart to give to anyone.