Bob Huggins

I imagine that most of you saw the game tonight, but incase you missed it, you missed IMO one of the top moments in the Tournament. Huggins’ compasion and love for his players was something that you can’t help but respect. He acted like Butler was his own son,and his players treat him with the same sort of respect.

Keep this topic clean, I’ve seen other boards bring it up and it’s gone way down to the deep end. What he did was the sort of thing you would want from every coach, and would love Ed for. Huggins changed how people look at him in a matter of a few minutes and I’ve got respect for that. IMO this video is what College basketball is about…

[center]Da’Sean Butler Goes Down w/ Knee Injury (West Virginia vs Duke)[/center]

What a shame. Butler had a promising pro career IMO. To go down like that in your last collegiate game really bites the big one. Huggins really showed how much he cares about his players. And to think this is only his second year there. I agree 100% NGameday.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:1087”]I imagine that most of you saw the game tonight, but incase you missed it, you missed IMO one of the top moments in the Tournament. Huggins’ compasion and love for his players was something that you can’t help but respect. He acted like Butler was his own son,and his players treat him with the same sort of respect.

Keep this topic clean, I’ve seen other boards bring it up and it’s gone way down to the deep end. What he did was the sort of thing you would want from every coach, and would love Ed for. Huggins changed how people look at him in a matter of a few minutes and I’ve got respect for that. IMO this video is what College basketball is about…

[center]Da’Sean Butler Goes Down w/ Knee Injury (West Virginia vs Duke)[/center][/quote]Agree 100% that was a great moment last night,but I think saying it changed everyones views of him in a few mins is going a little overboard. Again it was a nice moment .

Maybe so,I just know that Huggins isn’t seen as the most get on his knees and hug you coachhis players knew it,but we hadn’t seen it until then

[quote=“NGameday, post:4, topic:1087”]Maybe so,I just know that Huggins isn’t seen as the most get on his knees and hug you coachhis players knew it,but we hadn’t seen it until then[/quote]I agree with you 100%, I was def shocked last night when he did that. Same if Coach Cal did it, I would be shocked but wouldn’t change my opinion of him one bit. Still it was great to see Bob do that.

I’m just impressed Butler didn’t have a serious injury

The Pitt fans are being horrible jerks about the whole thing. Not surprising considering they made fun and were glad, when Joe had to go to the hospital for dehydration. Cheering for an injury, especially for a kid who just won that award for staying in school and being a good kid.

Hopefully he recovers and he can play again. If not he’s got or he’ll get a degree and put it to good use.

[quote=“psuphiman80, post:7, topic:1087”]The Pitt fans are being horrible jerks about the whole thing. Not surprising considering they made fun and were glad, when Joe had to go to the hospital for dehydration. Cheering for an injury, especially for a kid who just won that award for staying in school and being a good kid.

Hopefully he recovers and he can play again. If not he’s got or he’ll get a degree and put it to good use.[/quote]I think they are saying its a sprain

[quote="psuphiman80, post:7, topic:1087"]The Pitt fans are being horrible jerks about the whole thing. Not surprising considering they made fun and were glad, when Joe had to go to the hospital for dehydration. Cheering for an injury, especially for a kid who just won that award for staying in school and being a good kid.

Hopefully he recovers and he can play again. If not he’s got or he’ll get a degree and put it to good use.[/quote]I think they are saying its a sprain

Well that’s good to hear.

Classy.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:7, topic:1087"]The Pitt fans are being horrible jerks about the whole thing. Not surprising considering they made fun and were glad, when Joe had to go to the hospital for dehydration. Cheering for an injury, especially for a kid who just won that award for staying in school and being a good kid.

Mountaineers F Butler has ACL tear

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5054764

Mountaineers F Butler has ACL tear

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5054764

That’s a bummer.

INDIANAPOLIS -- West Virginia star Da'Sean Butler said doctors have told him he has a sprained left knee and didn't expect to find more serious damage once they re-examine him in a few days.

Ouch…going from “oh it’s just a sprain” to an ACL…

[quote=“Tom, post:13, topic:1087”][quote]
INDIANAPOLIS – West Virginia star Da’Sean Butler said doctors have told him he has a sprained left knee and didn’t expect to find more serious damage once they re-examine him in a few days.
[/quote]

Ouch…going from “oh it’s just a sprain” to an ACL…[/quote]

The way he went down Idk how people thought it wasn’t a major thing

The Good: Coach Huggins and his compassion. Butler was also not one of “his” recruits. That tells you something.
The Bad: All the booing from those who thought it was somehow the Duke player’s fault. I guess when you pay $1,000 for a seat you think you an see everything, even if you’re 100 yds from the court. I even heard the West Virginia NPR news person call it a “hard foul”. Ugh, can we let the Duke hating go now??
The Ugly: The cameras stayed on Butler for too long, as he was withering in pain. That’s a tough call sometimes as to when you stay with a shot and when to turn away.

[quote=“MarkH, post:15, topic:1087”]The Good: Coach Huggins and his compassion. Butler was also not one of “his” recruits. That tells you something.
The Bad: All the booing from those who thought it was somehow the Duke player’s fault. I guess when you pay $1,000 for a seat you think you an see everything, even if you’re 100 yds from the court. I even heard the West Virginia NPR news person call it a “hard foul”. Ugh, can we let the Duke hating go now??
The Ugly: The cameras stayed on Butler for too long, as he was withering in pain. That’s a tough call sometimes as to when you stay with a shot and when to turn away.[/quote]

Did you anyone else pick up the audio at that point from Huggins talking to the refs?

Something along the lines of, “That’s an All-American down on the floor, but yea, I guess they don’t foul.”

I’m not going to pretend to like Huggins or the way he operates his program(s). But, I did think it was a really great show of compassion. The same could be said about him hugging those kids as they came off the floor in the closing seconds. I think he cares a great deal about those kids, so I suppose there’s something to be said for that.

[quote="Tom, post:13, topic:1087"][quote] INDIANAPOLIS -- West Virginia star Da'Sean Butler said doctors have told him he has a sprained left knee and didn't expect to find more serious damage once they re-examine him in a few days. [/quote]

Ouch…going from “oh it’s just a sprain” to an ACL…[/quote]

The way he went down Idk how people thought it wasn’t a major thing

In high school, I broke my left ankle and sprained my right ankle (one of those now famous high ankle sprains). I can tell you without a doubt, the sprain was far more painful than the break. A lot of times a less severe injury can be more painful. I suppose it depends on the injury.

Indeed.

I sprained my ankles pretty badly twice in high school, I also heard a slight pop when I sprained it. The pain was so bad I thought I had broke it for sure, turned out to be a sprain both times.

There is some type of rationale behind why the sprain is more painful than a break, but I can’t recall it.

In high school, I broke my left ankle and sprained my right ankle (one of those now famous high ankle sprains). I can tell you without a doubt, the sprain was far more painful than the break. A lot of times a less severe injury can be more painful. I suppose it depends on the injury.

Indeed.

I sprained my ankles pretty badly twice in high school, I also heard a slight pop when I sprained it. The pain was so bad I thought I had broke it for sure, turned out to be a sprain both times.

There is some type of rationale behind why the sprain is more painful than a break, but I can’t recall it.

I believe it has to do with the number of nerves in the area of the injury.