PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Board Pick 'Em contest(s)

The NW/MSM thread branched off into a pick 'em contest discussion, so I thought I’d start a new thread here.

There seems to be some interest in another contest similar to the Eyeballs vs Geeks one that we did last season. At the moment, there are two thoughts on how it might be structured.

One, a Big Ten conference only contest where board members would pick every Big Ten conference game.

Two, a select your own game vs Pomeroy contest, where board members could pick any games that they like that were different from Pomeroy’s picks.

If anyone has any other ideas that they’d like to propose or has any thoughts on the above please post them here. Maybe we can actually get something going before our game at 6:30 tomorrow which kicks off Big Ten conference play.

Link to Pomeroy’s current day picks (choose the dates at the top of the table to move forward or back one day).

I’m definitely up for the B10 game picks. Would it be every game, we submit our picks weekly? Or X number of games each week? Doesn’t matter to me either way, just curious.

As for KenPom, that would be interesting. I didn’t participate or observe the Eyeballs vs Geeks – so this is pretty new to me. I know a few times I have really doubted KenPom’s picks on certain games, and I was right. Other times his picks were eerily accurate. Would be fun to pick against his formula in any fashion. Doesn’t really matter to me.

The number of games would have to be a set number though. 5 per week, 10 per week, etc.

Thanks for the willingness to take this on Lar.

I’d be up for another Big Ten “Eyeballs vs Geeks” contest.

I don’t follow too much of the non-Big Ten games until March.

I’m game for whatever format

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:1688”]I’m definitely up for the B10 game picks. Would it be every game, we submit our picks weekly? Or X number of games each week? Doesn’t matter to me either way, just curious.

As for KenPom, that would be interesting. I didn’t participate or observe the Eyeballs vs Geeks – so this is pretty new to me. I know a few times I have really doubted KenPom’s picks on certain games, and I was right. Other times his picks were eerily accurate. Would be fun to pick against his formula in any fashion. Doesn’t really matter to me.

The number of games would have to be a set number though. 5 per week, 10 per week, etc.[/quote]

The way that we did the Big Ten season last year was to pick every game with the picks being submitted twice weekly, i.e. before the Tue-Wed games and before the Sat-Sun games).

The issue with setting a number like 5-10 a week is what Hewey pointed out, that you’d just have to be following too many teams to have any real knowledge of so many games. So I think the number has to be smaller. Plus if we pick a fixed number for each week somebody is going to bitch about not being able to find any game that they like and being forced to pick a game they don’t like. I’d rather leave it a small number like 25-30 for the season (that’s about two games a week). With all the games that the Pomeroy system picks, probably about 300 a week, it shouldn’t be that difficult to find a couple that you disagree with. Then if there’s a week where you really can’t find anything, you could just skip it and make it up in the future. The thing to remember is that you really aren’t going up against anyone other than Pomeroy. The objective would be to beat him, not necessarily beat all the others. Getting to pick your own games should, in theory, provide a tremendous advantage over Pomeroy (but I still think he’d stack up pretty well).

Thanks for summing it up Lar. 2-3 games a week seems about right for the average fan. Can they also be B10 games (coincide with the other contest)? I don’t think that would matter, and is likely since most people here probably know the B10 the best.

2-3 games a week is being familiar with less than 1 game a night, very very doable. But then again, I follow this sport too much. :-[

Yes.