Bleacher Report

Pretty rough article I got from the news banner above. Something going on that I’ve mentioned before, which I don’t like. This writer looks at it differently, Battle looking to Ed for a play and not getting one. I don’t like plays called unless they’re after timeouts. This is just too much to do, too much think of, spots on the floor, etc., and doesn’t work. One player out of position and it screws the whole thing up. Bobby Knight talks about this. Have an offense, run it, and the kids will get used to their options, like Northwestern. That’s enough to learn. Start putting in plays during action runs counter to the flow of an offense. This could very well be a reason why the team looks confused. I remember one game with 3 guys on the weak side in a line looking like they were going to run a play. Battle with the ball dribbling, 20’+ away, double teamed, while 3 guys are lining up. He threw the ball away. You need proper spacing, proper screening, proper timing, and those are enough to accomplish. MAKE THINGS SIMPLE, and the team starts to operate like a well oiled machine. That’s why some teams get better over the course of a season, at least the ones with a good, sensible offense, like Wisky and NW. They don’t run plays. They run an offense with multiple options.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/344420-penn-states-disappointing-play-its-time-to-wake-up

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:831”]Pretty rough article I got from the news banner above. Something going on that I’ve mentioned before, which I don’t like. This writer looks at it differently, Battle looking to Ed for a play and not getting one. I don’t like plays called unless they’re after timeouts. This is just too much to do, too much think of, spots on the floor, etc., and doesn’t work. One player out of position and it screws the whole thing up. Bobby Knight talks about this. Have an offense, run it, and the kids will get used to their options, like Northwestern. That’s enough to learn. Start putting in plays during action runs counter to the flow of an offense. This could very well be a reason why the team looks confused. I remember one game with 3 guys on the weak side in a line looking like they were going to run a play. Battle with the ball dribbling, 20’+ away, double teamed, while 3 guys are lining up. He threw the ball away. You need proper spacing, proper screening, proper timing, and those are enough to accomplish. MAKE THINGS SIMPLE, and the team starts to operate like a well oiled machine. That’s why some teams get better over the course of a season, at least the ones with a good, sensible offense, like Wisky and NW. They don’t run plays. They run an offense with multiple options.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/344420-penn-states-disappointing-play-its-time-to-wake-up[/quote]

He has no credibility when he doesn’t even know Jamelle Cornley’s name. What he also doesn’t know is that when PSU does call a play it’s through hand and arm signals and folded arms could actually be a play call.

Wait, so are you saying that you like Northwestern’s offense? I never would have guessed it.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:831"]Have an offense, run it, and the kids will get used to their options, like Northwestern.[/quote]

Wait, so are you saying that you like Northwestern’s offense? I never would have guessed it.

I like most offenses that work, where the players aren’t bunched up or standing around looking confused, where the players not only shoot 3’s, but even do layups in the halfcourt, and sometimes get the ball inside for 3’ shots. So, there’s 3 ways to score in the halfcourt, not one.

Does the author know what he is talking about? Who knows? Who cares!
BUT when you are 0 - 11 this is the type of stuff that make the rounds.
Price of poker.

Seven years and 29 - 82 Do we really desire better??

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:831"]Have an offense, run it, and the kids will get used to their options, like Northwestern.[/quote]

I like most offenses that work, where the players aren’t bunched up or standing around looking confused, where the players not only shoot 3’s, but even do layups in the halfcourt, and sometimes get the ball inside for 3’ shots. So, there’s 3 ways to score in the halfcourt, not one.

Well, you keep talking about how we need to recruit like Northwestern, and how their offense is so much better. If all of these are the case, then why are we 5-1 against them since 2006, and why have they not finished ahead of us since 2004-2005. You’re way too high on them after one “fairly good” season (heck, we were better last season than they are this year).

Well, you keep talking about how we need to recruit like Northwestern, and how their offense is so much better. If all of these are the case, then why are we 5-1 against them since 2006, and why have they not finished ahead of us since 2004-2005. You’re way too high on them after one “fairly good” season (heck, we were better last season than they are this year).

They don’t have athletes. When you don’t have athletes, you have to play great in the halfcourt, and try to avoid a running game. This is one reason why MSU kills them. MSU is just too athletic, and NW can’t control the game, and MSU is just too much. Minny also tough for them. But NW can play with Wisky, Purdue, etc., teams which are not super athletic. The problem with PSU is that they can’t play in the halfcourt, and unlike MSU, is athletic but not super athletic, so they lose both in halfcourt games and in the transition games cause they’re not better at it than a Minny, OSU or MSU(though I feel good about today…we’re due). IMO, you should break if you can, but you absolutely have to have a great halfcourt game, because at least half the game is played this way. One reason why NW is so good at it is because that’s all they do. They almost never break. They also don’t call plays, which would only confuse the players, who already have enough to do running such a sophisticated offense. NW loses cause they get sort of beaten up, and they’re also poor at rebounding, 3rd from last (PSU is third). As good as Shurna is, he’s not very athletic. They have unathletic guys doing layups. How often do you see Chris Babb, Brooks, DJ or Frazier do a layup in the halfcourt? I’m not sure I’ve seen Babb or Frazier do it successfully the entire season. That’s the offense causing this. How come NW gets to do layups and we don’t? Does that make sense to you?

I think there’s a chance we beat NW at home as we rebound better and are more athletic, but they’re going to school us in the halfcourt. We’re supposed to be a 3 team? Well, they’ll beat us at that part too.

Bleacher Report is a joke. Any schmo with an internet connection can write something on there. BR should be treated like a message board.

There are certainly things that can be nitpicked about this article. But, the overall synopsis is what I have been watching all year, as well as most of Ed’s 7 years here. I want to believe that if Ed is given more time, he will turn things around. But, then reality strikes me in the face. Last year is about the best we can expect. That isn’t good enough for me. I hope that it isn’t with the administration either.