PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

BJC Customer Service

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/100511aaa.html

Looks like ticketing has been outsourced. Probably no effect on parking issues or surly ushers. :slight_smile:

Hopes it works!! That was some “hype” article. ::slight_smile:

Most outsourceing I’ve seen is usually cost driven. Less company employees who have benefits.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:2712”]Hopes it works!! That was some “hype” article. ::slight_smile:

Most outsourceing I’ve seen is usually cost driven. Less company employees who have benefits.[/quote]

I think that’s a common perception about outsourcing. While that is true in some cases, often outsourcing costs more and is in a desire to get better service in areas that are not core competencies. Not sure which this would be.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2712"]Hopes it works!! That was some "hype" article. ::)

Most outsourceing I’ve seen is usually cost driven. Less company employees who have benefits.[/quote]

I think that’s a common perception about outsourcing. While that is true in some cases, often outsourcing costs more and is in a desire to get better service in areas that are not core competencies. Not sure which this would be.

In situations like these, it probably has to do with money.

The article states that IMG is placing employees at Penn State. How much would you like to wager that the employees being placed at Penn state will be making less that the billets they are replacing?

How many times is it the exact same people? I would think that PSU will shrink by 5 ticket clerks, to be replaced by 5 IMG ticket clerks. I’m sure IMG offered their 5 jobs to the people who would be “outsourced”.

This happens a lot in local school districts with cafeteria and bus drivers. Many times, the contract states that the employees are just “transferred” and many times are grandfathered in with their current pay and benefits. The savings comes from the new hires, who don’t get the pay and benefit packages that the district employees receive.

I’m sure that there are also some synergies that will make the operation more customer responsive and efficient… their ability to forecast demand trends, manage acccounts, maintain an on-line presence, etc. will be more efficient than what PSU could do on its own.

Hmm, I read this as:

Penn State felt bad about taking the heat for charging outrageous and entirely made up fees on athletic tickets, but now that an independent company will be doing it, they'll have some cover to revel in the extra revenue while acting like their hands are tied behind their back and pretending there's nothing they can do about the convenience charge on top of the ticketing fee on top of the printing fee (or, you can choose the print at home fee because that makes sense that you'd have to pay extra to print the ticket yourself) on top of the days that end in y fee on top of the ticket agent fee (unless you buy online and never speak with an agent, in which case you'll be charged an extra online convenience fee). Open up those wallets, fans we're about to start gouging.
[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2712"]Hopes it works!! That was some "hype" article. ::)

Some incredibly cynical posts on this topic. As Tim is suggesting, not everything is cost related. In my business, we see customers coming to us as they grow. They can no longer efficiently manage their print and mail – and more recently, their SEC compliance web sites. So they come to the experts – us. I see this as a similar situation. We are adding two new varsity sports – at least one will charge admission. We are hoping to sell more basketball tickets. Plus, ticket fraud is real. Hiring some experts to manage all of this makes a lot of sense to me. But hey, why waste an opportunity to go off on another rant about the PSU money machine.

Some incredibly cynical posts on this topic. As Tim is suggesting, not everything is cost related. In my business, we see customers coming to us as they grow. They can no longer efficiently manage their print and mail – and more recently, their SEC compliance web sites. So they come to the experts – us. I see this as a similar situation. We are adding two new varsity sports – at least one will charge admission. We are hoping to sell more basketball tickets. Plus, ticket fraud is real. Hiring some experts to manage all of this makes a lot of sense to me. But hey, why waste an opportunity to go off on another rant about the PSU money machine.

Yeah, except the last thing I heard was that the Beaver stadium crowds were shrinking.

What percentage of ticket sales increase will come with the 2 new sports as compared to the entire athletic department?

How much larger is seating capacity for the BJC and the Beav now as complered to the last 15 years? …and NOW they can’t handle it? ::slight_smile:

If this has to do with a capacity increase, does that mean the AD’s office would have been completely unprepared for larger hoops crowds if the team would have had more success?

If you are hiring back the same employees to do the same job, only with better results because of different management, what does that say about current management?

It doesn’t pass the smell test.

Yeah, except the last thing I heard was that the Beaver stadium crowds were shrinking.

What percentage of ticket sales increase will come with the 2 new sports as compared to the entire athletic department?

How much larger is seating capacity for the BJC and the Beav now as complered to the last 15 years? …and NOW they can’t handle it? ::slight_smile:

If this has to do with a capacity increase, does that mean the AD’s office would have been completely unprepared for larger hoops crowds if the team would have had more success?
If you are hiring back the same employees to do the same job, only with better results because of different management, what does that say about current management?

They were unprepared. Just look at the games last year where there were still lines of people outside at tipoff, because they couldn’t turn them fast enough. I won’t say our ticketing in antiquated, but it’s not where it should be.

BTW… as per another thread, Lady Lion student admission is now free. That should decrease the ticket staff workload.

........  then again, nevermind.  I'm sure it has to do with capacity, customer service, responisveness, yada yada yada...    The one thing we know about the Athletic Department is that the do NOT make decisions based on finances.  It's all about customer service.  

STEP + parking passes + tix outsourcing = more money CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!

I can’t wait for the answer of “it may just happen that they make more money, but that’s not the purpose of …”

::slight_smile:

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:2712”]BTW… as per another thread, Lady Lion student admission is now free. That should decrease the ticket staff workload.

........  then again, nevermind.  I'm sure it has to do with capacity, customer service, responisveness, yada yada yada...    The one thing we know about the Athletic Department is that the do NOT make decisions based on finances.  It's all about customer service.[/quote]

Yea, not having to sell tickets to all 50 students will really decrease their workload.

[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:2712"]BTW.... as per another thread, Lady Lion student admission is now free. That should decrease the ticket staff workload.
........  then again, nevermind.  I'm sure it has to do with capacity, customer service, responisveness, yada yada yada...    The one thing we know about the Athletic Department is that the do NOT make decisions based on finances.  It's all about customer service.[/quote]

Yea, not having to sell tickets to all 50 students will really decrease their workload.

2 out of 3 games so far this year at Beaver stadium has been more than 10,000 BELOW CAPACITY, and almost 8,000 below the average attendance last year.

How’s that for a decreased workload? :-X

You conveniently skipped over the new venue added. But that doesn’t help support your theory, so why not ignore that. Could it just be that they felt it was time to try something new? Whatever, I’m not going to get all worked up over something like this. If you want to rant, go for it. It’s your blood pressure, not mine.

[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:2712"]BTW.... as per another thread, Lady Lion student admission is now free. That should decrease the ticket staff workload.

2 out of 3 games so far this year at Beaver stadium has been more than 10,000 BELOW CAPACITY, and almost 8,000 below the average attendance last year.

But the tickets were sold. Just because seats are empty doesn’t mean the ticket sales workload decreased. In fact, if less season tickets are sold, more individual game tickets will be sold – which means an INCREASED workload. You are a piece of work sometimes.

I just hope this doesn’t mean the end of the 4 for $40 deals!

That and not having to pay outrageous PSU benefits and pensions and never being able to fire them due to poor work quality.

But the tickets were sold. Just because seats are empty doesn’t mean the ticket sales workload decreased. In fact, if less season tickets are sold, more individual game tickets will be sold – which means an INCREASED workload. You are a piece of work sometimes.

hmmm… so if less season tickets are sold, then more poeple bought individual game tickets to these games and did not show up. ::slight_smile:

BTW… the discussion has already been beaten to death that announced game attendance is based on ticket sales, not actual fannies in the seats. As Lar has said on this topic, “that’s how it’s done industry wide, so why would Penn State be diffenent”?

I hope it doesn’t mean the end of senior citizen discounts. :frowning:

I wonder if the IMG deal presages the retirement of long-time PSU ticket director Bud Meredith.

I hope it doesn’t make it easier for opposing teams to get huge blocks of tickets in the lower bowl. But, if your business is selling tickets, why care about who buys them?