PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Billy Oliver played his last game at PSU

per the ESPNU announcer during the Nebrasksa game.

It was mentioned in the IGT but I thought it deserved it’s own thread.

Billy just announced it on Steve’s post game show.

He got to play b1g basketball, go to the ncaas, get his degree in 4 years. Not a bad gig

Both the last staff and this staff saw something good in Billy’s game (everyone can see something good in Billy, obviously), but he never really got his sea legs. We saw what they were talking about in flashes this year - particularly against Purdue. But neither he, nor we, got a chance to see the whole package.

Best of luck, Billy.

Good luck Billy - and thank you!!

Great kid with a great future. He will continue to make us proud.

Sad to see him be done but it seemed inevitable. I thought he was criminally underrated defensively for us and a model student athlete. Plus one of the prettiest looking jumpers, although amazingly it never went in as much as it looked like it should have.

Have to believe all his health problems kept him from ever getting in much rhythm from game to game and season to season, which is a shame… but I’ll always remember his role during these last few years, which I think we might all be looking back on fondly for many years to come (hopefully as the start of when PSU basketball really got off the ground and rolling).

Best wishes to him, he seems like a very bright kid who could do a lot of great things with his life. I won’t be surprised when he does.

When I heard the ESPNU announcers say he was done playing I thought maybe it was just for the year. This is a sad way for Billy to end his career. Like many of you have said it was hard for him to get things going because of his injuries. It’s really a shame because we could use his scoring. Best of luck to Billy and I hope he puts his degree to good use.

Kid should hang his head high after everything he fought through.

I remember when he committed here and few people had any clue who he was. He went from being a relative unknown to a starting player on an NCAA tournament team, and he did it in spite of the all the medical problems he had to struggle with during his first few years. He certainly exceeded my expectations. He was tenacious on defense and played with as much heart as anyone I’ve watched since I started following PSU. Glad he had his moment to shine in the Purdue game, and even happier that he’ll leave with a degree. He’s a smart kid by all accounts, and I’m sure he’ll do well for himself.

I wish Billy the best and I applaud the tough decision he had to make. But it isn’t worth you health. Put your degree to good use. Watching Billy fight through all this made him one of my favorite Lions.

+35! Best wishes Billy!

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-basketball-billy-oliver-to-end-penn-state-career-1002690/

I wish Billy the best. I am glad he will still be helping the program next year and remain on scholarship.

+35, I like that Cappy.

I’m hoping he can dress one more time for Senior Night. He’ll be announced in the starting lineup and be in for the opening tip. Then have the team call a quick time out when Billy will take to the bench to a standing ovation.

You gave it your all Billy, and we thank you.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:13, topic:3065”]+35, I like that Cappy.

I’m hoping he can dress one more time for Senior Night. He’ll be announced in the starting lineup and be in for the opening tip. Then have the team call a quick time out when Billy will take to the bench to a standing ovation.

You gave it your all Billy, and we thank you.[/quote]

Great Idea. Hope it happens that way

I’m pretty sure that happened before, I think it was for Ben Luber on his Senior Day when he was injured. I hope it happens again for Billy, he deserves that!

Oliver will be a student assistant next fall:

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1157833.html

Sports Info:

Oliver Ends Penn State Playing Career
Four-year member of squad will earn degree in May, remain with team through 2012-13 season

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA.; FEB. 11, 2012 – Penn State sophomore forward Billy Oliver (Chatham, N.J.) has elected to end his Penn State playing career due to re-occurring symptoms related to his history of concussions and migraine headaches.

“I have put a lot of thought into this, and I have decided not to continue my basketball career,” Oliver said. “I am still going to stay with the program, going to games, and next year I’ll be hanging around with a medical scholarship – more of an office job. It’s a decision I have put a ton of thought into. I’ve got these guys (teammates) supporting me, and my parents talked to coach countless times. It seems right for me, and more importantly, for the team.

“It’s selfish for me if I am not going to be able to go out there and give 100 percent with the history of my head, and I am worried about problems with that. I don’t want to do that to the team, because I know they give 100 percent. So, I am not continuing basketball, but I will be around.”

In his fourth year with the Nittany Lion program, Oliver redshirted his freshman season of 2008-09 after suffering a pair of concussions during early season workouts and sat out all but fivegames of the 2009-10 season due to exercise induced migraine headaches. An Academic All-Big Ten honoree, Oliver has applied to earn his degree in finance this May and plans to return to Penn State next fall to finish a second degree in economics. He plans to remain with the team in a non-playing capacity through the remainder of this season and next and will remain on scholarship as an NCAA medical non-counter. Oliver will not count for Penn State toward the NCAA’s 13-scholarship limit for men’s basketball beginning next season.

Oliver played in 21 games in the 2011-12 season, starting 20, and was playing an average of 24 minutes per game. Prior to the Nebraska game on Feb. 11, he led the team with 35 three-pointers on the year and ranked fourth on the team posting 6.8 points per game whilepulling down 3.3 rebounds per contest. Oliver had a break-out game in Penn State’s 65-45 victory over Purdue on Jan. 5 in the Jordan Center as he posted a career-high 21 points on a career-best 7-of-10 from the three-point line, tying the second-best single game three-point total in Penn State history. It marked one of three double-digit scoring games on the year for the 6-8 forward.

Oliver began to experience symptoms after getting sick at halftime of the Lions’ home contest vs. Minnesota on Jan. 15. He sat out the following four games as the team doctor and athletic trainer put him through a battery of tests to evaluate his condition. He was cleared to return to the floor on Feb. 4 in the Lions’ game at Iowa and played 16 minutes in that contest. He also played 11 minutes in Penn State’s following game at Michigan State on Feb. 8 before determining not to continue his playing career.

The all-time leading scorer at Chatham High School, Oliver ends his Penn State career having played in 58 career games (32 last season) with 20 career starts. He scored a total of 220 points and collected 146 rebounds while downing 46 career threes. Oliver helped the Lions reach their first ever Big Ten Tournament Championship game last year and the 2011 NCAA Tournament, Penn State’s first appearance in a decade.

It’s too bad for Billy. Best wishes as he finishes out his time here at Penn State. I do believe that the PSU medical staff has been spooked, and rightfully so, ever since Stacey Hrivnak back in the late 90s.

Or Aaron Jack who PSU wouldn’t clear to play, transferred to Texas A&M, ended up having more concussion problems there.

It's too bad for Billy. Best wishes as he finishes out his time here at Penn State. I do believe that the PSU medical staff has been spooked, and rightfully so, ever since Stacey Hrivnak back in the late 90s.

Or Aaron Jack who PSU wouldn’t clear to play, transferred to Texas A&M, ended up having more concussion problems there.

It was because of Hrivnak that PSU wouldn’t clear Jack. Stacey didn’t even remember her parents, boyfriend, or dog for quite awhile. Supposedly she had to be re-taught a lot of simple things like brushing her teeth, tieing her shoes, etc. She was the worst case in a string of concussions on the Lady Lions for a few years. I think it was Missy Masley who got a concussion when she fainted in a Bio lab.