PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Billy Oliver Appreciation Thread

Since the board has gone “appreciation thread” happy. I offer up Oliver. He brought the attitude tonight against the Illini. Blocked a few shots. Knocked down a big bouncing 3. And plain just wouldn’t back down to the bigger, more experienced front court players from the Illini. I like his style.

Good job, Billy.

And in the immortal words of a famous Oliver, well sort of…

“Please sir, (the Penn State fans) want some more”.

Someone please tell me they are good at photoshopping. ;D

Absolutely. Billy Oliver plays with incredible heart and desire. He imposes his will down low and was not intimidated by Tisdale. He’s a mismatch for opposing defenses because you must respect his perimeter shooting.

Agree! Great job. Billy is an ultimate hustle guy who fits in well.

Granted, he is in his 3rd year in the system, he has qualities you usually don’t see in a player seeing his first year of BIG TEN action.

A huge benefit to the Penn State program is that this kid will be here for another 3 years.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:5, topic:1763”]Granted, he is in his 3rd year in the system, he has qualities you usually don’t see in a player seeing his first year of BIG TEN action.

A huge benefit to the Penn State program is that this kid will be here for another 3 years.[/quote]

Just 2 I think. 4 in 5 right?

[quote="Skeeza, post:5, topic:1763"]Granted, [b]he is in his 3rd year in the system[/b], he has qualities you usually don't see in a player seeing his first year of BIG TEN action.

A huge benefit to the Penn State program is that this kid will be here for another 3 years.[/quote]

Although this is his 3rd year. Most of year 2 was lost due to the headache issues. If I remember correctly, he just started riding a stationary bike at the end of last season after the headaches went away.

He will probably qualify for a medical redshirt giving him the opportunity of a 6th school year. It all depends upon whether or not he wants it. It would be a great opportunity to get a grad degree. We have had one other situation like this and it was Danny Earl, so Coach Earl could tell him the benefits of the extra year. Billy may or may not want to come back for a 6th year. That’s a ways down the road.

[quote="Skeeza, post:5, topic:1763"]Granted, [b]he is in his 3rd year in the system[/b], he has qualities you usually don't see in a player seeing his first year of BIG TEN action.

Although this is his 3rd year. Most of year 2 was lost due to the headache issues. If I remember correctly, he just started riding a stationary bike at the end of last season after the headaches went away.

He will probably qualify for a medical redshirt giving him the opportunity of a 6th school year. It all depends upon whether or not he wants it. It would be a great opportunity to get a grad degree. We have had one other situation like this and it was Danny Earl, so Coach Earl could tell him the benefits of the extra year. Billy may or may not want to come back for a 6th year. That’s a ways down the road.

I’ve always found this curious. The PSU website lists Billy as a RS FR although I think most of us agree he’s a RS SO. It’s as if PSU is stating that he’s already been given his 6th year of eligibility. I don’t think they can assume that yet (Maybe the NCAA won’t grant it or maybe he won’t want it).

Can a big bouncing 3 be a knocked down shot? :wink:

I’ve always found this curious. The PSU website lists Billy as a RS FR although I think most of us agree he’s a RS SO. It’s as if PSU is stating that he’s already been given his 6th year of eligibility. I don’t think they can assume that yet (Maybe the NCAA won’t grant it or maybe he won’t want it).

He’s a lock for a sixth year if he wants it. He meets the textbook definition of meeting the requirements for getting a sixth year, i.e. missing two seasons due to illness or injury, which is undoubtedly why he’s listed as a RS FR.

I thought Oliver played well last night. He is OK guarding big men down low, as long as those big men don’t have elite quickness. He obviously has some good BBall instincts and knows the game.

I will say I am disappointed in his shooting. He has a nice looking shot, but it doesn’t go in very often. I think they said yesterday he was shooting 27% from the field. ANd the games I have seen, he usually only takes wide open jumpers, so it is not like he is taking tough shots. He really has to be able to knock down open 3 pointers at a 35% clip in order to take it to the next level.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:11, topic:1763”]I thought Oliver played well last night. He is OK guarding big men down low, as long as those big men don’t have elite quickness. He obviously has some good BBall instincts and knows the game.

I will say I am disappointed in his shooting. He has a nice looking shot, but it doesn’t go in very often. I think they said yesterday he was shooting 27% from the field. ANd the games I have seen, he usually only takes wide open jumpers, so it is not like he is taking tough shots. He really has to be able to knock down open 3 pointers at a 35% clip in order to take it to the next level.[/quote]

Yeah, it has to be an issue with confidence because his stroke looks good. Hopefully a couple will drop for him and that will start to get things turned around.

Lock or not, it still drives me nuts that they list him incorrectly.

[quote="UncleLar, post:10, topic:1763"]He's a lock for a sixth year if he wants it. He meets the textbook definition of meeting the requirements for getting a sixth year, i.e. missing two seasons due to illness or injury, which is undoubtedly why he's listed as a RS FR.[/quote]

Lock or not, it still drives me nuts that they list him incorrectly.

Perhaps technically incorrect but I’d say it more accurately reflects his situation (which has also reminded me to fix him in the scholarship matrix so now it can drive you nuts there too ;D )

The kid has beautiful basketball instincts. I think his shot will start falling.

He missed pretty much two full seasons. He couldn’t even practice with the team much of the time. I think his shooting will come around next year when he is a senior academically and becomes one of the team leaders.

Agree. Looks to me like he is rushing his shot ever so slightly. I think as he gets more game time he’ll settle down and the shots will start going in.

I agree. With Billy it appears to be confidence and experience. His shot looks good. I watched him warming up before MSU and he was hitting 3’s very consistently from the right side foul line extended. He gets into the game and almost immediately has the exact same shot uncontested and it bounces off the rim. He just needs a little more time for the game to slow down in his head.

He’s getting pretty good on D as well playing against small centers and strong PF’s. He’s not going to be able to cover JJ for Purdue (who is?) or Shurna for NW 1-on-1. He’s doing a good job taking charges and now he’s blocking a few shots. The B1G refs are going to get on board soon and he’ll start getting more calls to go his way.

I’m glad we’ll be seeing him for 3 more years.