PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Bill O'Brien Opens Up on Idea of Oversigning

This issue is raising it’s head again, this time on the football side of the house.

Bill O’Brien Opens Up on Idea of Oversigning

We’re in the process of evaluating our roster right now,. We’re trying to get a real hold on what exactly our needs are for next year. And then, at that point, we’ll make a decision on whether we’ll do what you’re talking about (oversigning). There’s some definite advantages in doing that. Right now, we haven’t made a decision on whether we’re headed in that direction.

It’s not your same old Penn State anymore.

I look forward to hearing Duff and NI’s opinion of the AJC. We don’t even know the question he was asked. No need to get panties in a bunch.

Read the original AJC article. I highly suspect the author of the article used a little poetic license in attributing OB’s quote to “what are your opinions of oversigning.”

This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I’m sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

Hopefully it’s just the intoxication from signing three pretty good recruits to kick off this recruiting season. Probably a corollary of Greed Isn’t Good: Wealth Could Make People Unethical

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:3149”]This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I’m sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

Hopefully it’s just the intoxication from signing three pretty good recruits to kick off this recruiting season. Probably a corollary of Greed Isn’t Good: Wealth Could Make People Unethical[/quote]

Until I see it, I’m thinking this is out of context to a degree. It’s one thing to oversign and tell an underclassman he is no longer on the team. It’s another to tell a graduate that his 5th year of service won’t be needed.

This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I'm sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

Hopefully it’s just the intoxication from signing three pretty good recruits to kick off this recruiting season. Probably a corollary of Greed Isn’t Good: Wealth Could Make People Unethical

Until I see it, I’m thinking this is out of context to a degree. It’s one thing to oversign and tell an underclassman he is no longer on the team. It’s another to tell a graduate that his 5th year of service won’t be needed.

+1

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:3149"]This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I'm sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

Hopefully it’s just the intoxication from signing three pretty good recruits to kick off this recruiting season. Probably a corollary of Greed Isn’t Good: Wealth Could Make People Unethical[/quote]

That’s true and has been going on at Penn State forever.

As long as the kid has graduated, that seems like no problem.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:3149"]This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I'm sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

That’s true and has been going on at Penn State forever.

As long as the kid has graduated, that seems like no problem.

We’ve also greyshirted kids in the past (Jordan Norwood for example), which is another way to oversign.

It all goes away anyway next year since you’re only allowed to sign 25 (down from 28) during the signing period, anyway. The exception still being early enrollees though.

Oversigning is still an issue. If you have 15 seniors and get 20 LOI’s, you are oversigned.

Greyshirting doesn’t bother me that much, either.

Whoever suggested allowing for some benefit of the doubt was on to something. :slight_smile:

/premature disgust

[quote="Tom, post:9, topic:3149"]It all goes away anyway next year since you're only allowed to sign 25 (down from 28) during the signing period, anyway. The exception still being early enrollees though.[/quote]

Oversigning is still an issue. If you have 15 seniors and get 20 LOI’s, you are oversigned.

Which just about every school does innocently every year as there are always post-LOI day departures.

Innocence and big-time college sports do not belong in the same sentence.

[quote="Tom, post:12, topic:3149"]Which just about every school does innocently every year as there are always post-LOI day departures.[/quote]

Innocence and big-time college sports do not belong in the same sentence.

Not everywhere, but it does belong.

we need an emoticon for that

What I love is a lot of people blast the BOT for their overreaction when the media and entire country exploded over the Sandusky issue.

These same people then overreact and assume the worse when stories come out about Alexis leaving or O’Brien oversigning without even knowing any facts.

Over one quote we have become a football factory.

There has been a change in coach and I’m sure the new way of doing things at Penn State won’t be for every player. Some guys might want to transer.

What if there are players out there who are being recruited by lesser schools who want the opportunity to compete for a scholarship at a bigger school and understand they may have their scholarship taken away?

Some of you forget it’s a two way street. You think these players are completely in the dark? You think these players blindly pick a school without understanding what they are getting involved w/?

There are only so many “big time” programs and there is a “big time” within the “big time.” Some of these players would like chance to compete at the biggest of the programs and can’t because of scholarship restrictions? I’m not saying the system isn’t abused, but this system also affords more invidviduals the ability to seek dream of playing w/ the elite of the elite.

Every message board has lit up over this. I think O’Brien deserves the benefit of the doubt here. You guys are all commenting on something that you have no understanding of.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:16, topic:3149”]What I love is a lot of people blast the BOT for their overreaction when the media and entire country exploded over the Sandusky issue.

These same people then overreact and assume the worse when stories come out about Alexis leaving or O’Brien oversigning without even knowing any facts.

There has been a change in coach and I’m sure the new way of doing things at Penn State won’t be for every player. Some guys might want to transer.

What if there are players out there who are being recruited by lesser schools who want the opportunity to compete for a scholarship at a bigger school and understand they may have their scholarship taken away?

Some of you forget it’s a two way street. You think these players are completely in the dark? You think these players blindly pick a school without understanding what they are getting involved w/?

There are only so many “big time” programs and there is a “big time” within the “big time.” Some of these players would like chance to compete at the biggest of the programs and can’t because of scholarship restrictions? I’m not saying the system isn’t abused, but this system also affords more invidviduals the ability to seek dream of playing w/ the elite of the elite.

Every message board has lit up over this. I think O’Brien deserves the benefit of the doubt here. You guys are all commenting on something that you have no understanding of.[/quote]

Apologist.

[quote="ChambersEra, post:16, topic:3149"]What I love is a lot of people blast the BOT for their overreaction when the media and entire country exploded over the Sandusky issue.

Every message board has lit up over this. I think O’Brien deserves the benefit of the doubt here. You guys are all commenting on something that you have no understanding of.[/quote]

Apologist.

Another thing I find hilarious is the people who spend every day of their life on message boards praising the Penn State/Joe Paterno way of doing things while denouncing other schools and the people that represent them.

There are people on the BWI board that have 20,000 posts to their credit. Are they a shining of example of making the most out of your life? Living on the bwi board?

The Joe Paterno way of doing things is not spending a second of your life on Internet message boards commenting on what others are doing w/ their life.

We are all guilty of doing the things that Joe Paterno believed were a complete waste of one’s timetime, things he would never want his own players to be associated w/.

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:3149”]This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I’m sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

I think you are on to something, tbj.

Most people are saying, “let’s wait to judge”. A lot of times, that just means, "wait until it’s official, THEN I will find an angle in which to rationalize it.

What I DO NOT see much of, with these comments, is “whether true or not, this should NOT be happening at Penn State”.

Nodoby wants to say that it’s wrong, just in case it’s true. :-[

This is unbelievable to me. I associate the schools that do this with football factories and outlaws. I'm sure I will be rationalizing it, like all good fans, the second we start doing it.

I think you are on to something, tbj.

Most people are saying, “let’s wait to judge”. A lot of times, that just means, "wait until it’s official, THEN I will find an angle in which to rationalize it.

What I DO NOT see much of, with these comments, is “whether true or not, this should NOT be happening at Penn State”.

Nodoby wants to say that it’s wrong, just in case it’s true. :-[

I just don’t believe it’s true in the sense of how SEC schools oversign. For one thing, the B1G has tighter restrictions, so we can’t be as bad as Alabama, etc. just for that reason alone. Plus, I don’t know the question, or how the response was framed. So it’s hard to judge. Maybe his comment about evaluating players was related to those graduating and those he believed would leave early for the next level. If that is the case, I have no issue.

However, I will say that I think it’s wrong to run off players before they graduate for the sake of bringing in a better player. This is especially true in football where with 85 scholarships to work with, the staff can afford a few mistakes. If this happens, I will lose respect for the new coach.