Bill Edwards partially tears MCL; out 4-6 weeks

… according to Brian Siegrist’s Twitter. :-[

Get well soon, Bill!

What a tough break for Bill and the Team.

I was excited to see Edwards play. All the early pub looked promising. Here’s to a healthy and quick recovery…

Does this pretty much burn the idea of Marshall redshirting?

That could have him back by the UVa game.

Ain’t that the truth! I know that this is tougher on Bill and the team but man I was looking forward to seeing him play this year. What are the chances that they shut him down this year?

Looks like Ed hopes to have him back by mid December according to the link below.

Team doctors expect Edwards to miss 4-6 weeks with the injury making his scheduled return to the line-up sometime in mid-December.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102909aab.html

Happy Healing Bill!

This.

He should be ready for the B10 schedule though.

Bill, hope you have a quick recovery.

I think this most directly impacts Cam. I envisioned he and Bill splitting time backing up the 2 and 3 positions. Let’s hope Cam can make the most of this opportunity.

This stinks for Bill and the team. The non-con would have been perfect for him to cut his teeth at the college level. I don’t know how things will play out with redshirting Marshall or not. Bill will definitely be missing time that I think was vital to him being any sort of contributor this season.

Get well, Bill!

Collegian: Edwards staying positive

Good article Cap.

This doesn’t sound like a 2 to me.

[i]Bill Edwards moved in to collect a rebound when Andrew Jones and Steve Kirkpatrick got tangled up under the net…

The 6-foot-6 forward has started rehabbing the injury…

Edwards is a versatile player, and it will be up to the rest of the Lions front court to provide the needed production…

“Bill can score, he can help us offensively,” Battle said. “He knows the game, so he can help us when he gets back. He’s a bigger body, he can get some rebounds, he can do a lot of things for us, so we’re excited. Hopefully we can get him back soon and see what he can do for us.”[/i]

I also hate the term “wing.” Why? It’s kind of indecisive. It’s like when you’re a wing, you have no responsibilities. To me, a wing stands at the, er, wing, and waits for the ball. The term “forward” implies getting rebounds, boxing out, scoring inside. Much more of a role to play. IMO, if anyone is a wing on this team, it’s Chris Babb, and maybe Woodyard, as I don’t expect them to take the ball upcourt vs. pressure, so they’re not really backcourt players, and they’re not called to rebound, box out, etc., so for them the term might fit. To characterize Edwards, Oliver, Brooks and DJ as wings, is just, IMO, wrong. I know, everybody will say, but Brooks and DJ are 4’s. Huh? I mean, weren’t DJ and Brooks characterized as “wings” or “perimeter players” last year and/or the year before? And now they’re something else?
IMO, being described as a “wing” implies limited skills. Not good enough to bring up the ball, and not strong(or willing) enough to get beaten up inside.

Disagree entirely. Wing forwards are the most athletic players on most teams. They are equally adept at shooting from beyond the arc, driving to the bucket, or posting up to take advantage of size mismatches. They are often, ala Geary Claxton, your best rebounders also.

Thanks, now I don’t have to say anything. Agree with this 100%.

I agree. That’s the ideal wing and why a lot of us were high on Jeff as being a great one. He could create some serious mismatches because of his combination of length, athleticism and skills. Unfortunately, he can’t seem to get it rolling in that position. Maybe playing more of a traditional power forward will help him loosen up.

The wing is typically a 3/4 combo, not a 2/3 combo. That’s why we were calling last year’s offense (Battle, Stan, Morrissey) a 3 guard offense, there were no true wings in that lineup.

In a perfect world, yes, but often not good at either, or they don’t fit in. Geary is a good example. IMO, a fabulous rebounder and inside scorer. His handle was very poor. Check his offensive fouls in the first half of games(which often sat him down) caused by his dribbling with his head down. His attempt to make pros had him try to become something he wasn’t. Due to his small size, he became as you say, a wing. But it didn’t work. Think about it. Could he make pros as an inside player? How about a backcourt player? So, since he couldn’t do either at the pro level, he was something in between. Doesn’t really work. There are guys on the current team who have similar issues. Not as good as Geary, but sort of in between. You’ve been describing DJ and Brooks as wing players for 2 years, and now?

On last year’s team, the leading “wing” player was a guard, Danny Morrisey, so he doesn’t fit your description at all. It could be said that the best team PSU put on the floor last year was “wingless”. And that’s my point. Danny was a guard, pure and simple, and he could shoot and handle, though limited by speed. But that really describes a 2. On this year’s team, I expect that role to be played, at least with Edwards out, by Babb, another guard, not a “wing forward”. With Edwards back, I bet while he plays that role sometimes in place of Babb(with either Babb out or playing the 2), you will often see lineup of Drew, Babb, Frazier, Battle, Edwards, another “wingless” team. And I think that will be the best lineup. Fast, ability to score outside, ability to penetrate, and while not huge, bigger than last year’s best 5, so some inside scoring, though not up to Cornley’s numbers.

[quote="UncleLar, post:13, topic:160"]Disagree entirely. Wing forwards are the most athletic players on most teams. They are equally adept at shooting from beyond the arc, driving to the bucket, or posting up to take advantage of size mismatches. They are often, ala Geary Claxton, your best rebounders also.[/quote]

I agree. That’s the ideal wing and why a lot of us were high on Jeff as being a great one. He could create some serious mismatches because of his combination of length, athleticism and skills. Unfortunately, he can’t seem to get it rolling in that position. Maybe playing more of a traditional power forward will help him loosen up.

The wing is typically a 3/4 combo, not a 2/3 combo. That’s why we were calling last year’s offense (Battle, Stan, Morrissey) a 3 guard offense, there were no true wings in that lineup.

While I think you hit the nail on the head on the second part, the first part I think somewhat avoids the issue. Yeah, I guess the ideal wing is a guy who can do everything. Problem is getting a player like that. Short of that, the ideal wing is a great shooter. Seems to me a limited handle or inability to beat opponents off the dribble makes the player a wing rather than a guard, and not being good inside makes the player a wing rather than a traditional forward. In the latter case, i.e., forward vs. wing, Edwards will probably the best on the team at that, shooting and dribbling as a wing forward, but I’d just call that a forward with skills, like Kevin Coble. I mean, was Larry Bird a wing?

According to Twitter, “Edwards still not real close to 100%. Has had hand and wrist injuries on top of the knee injury.”

I’d say he’s playing pretty great for not being near 100% yet.

I can say that when ED offered Edwards with the scholarship situation being what it is, I had very high hopes. Fair or not to Bill I figured he was a too good to pass prospect in the eyes of the staff. So far so good.

I haven’t seen him play all that much, but from what I have seen (in this coach’s eyes at least) I have been impressed with his knowledge of the way the game is meant to be played. He will be a bigger version of Titus Ivory, and be able to do more things than Titus, especially down low on the block, when all is said and done