PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

BIG TEN women's schedule

Something I just noticed…

The women only play 16 conference games, yet the guys play 18 conference games. Both seem to play the same total amount of games.

Why do the ladies play less conference games?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:1778”]Something I just noticed…

The women only play 16 conference games, yet the guys play 18 conference games. Both seem to play the same total amount of games.

Why do the ladies play less conference games?[/quote]

Total games are set by the NCAA. Conference games are determined by the conference coaches/ADs. It’s evidently what the coaches prefer.

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:1778"]Something I just noticed....

Why do the ladies play less conference games?[/quote]

Total games are set by the NCAA. Conference games are determined by the conference coaches/ADs. It’s evidently what the coaches prefer.

Yes, I know that Lar.

I was questioning why they prefer to play 16, as compared to why the MEN’s programs would choose to play 18.

They switched back to 16 conf games this year after three years of 18.

Why?

I’m, guessing it had to do with the fact that the BigTen continues to hold the womens conf tourney a week before the mens. No coach wants to start conf play before finals & Christmas, so that meant they had one less week to cram in 18 conf games.

I didn’t realize that.

So, the same year that the men switch from 16 to 18, is the same year the women switch from 18 back to 16.

I believe that the men went to 18 in 07-08, when the women did.

I don’t know the official reason the women went back to 16, but I do know some of the coaches didn’t like trying to squeeze two extra conference games in a smaller window than the men have.