Big Ten to Expand!

From Pennlive.com

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/12/big_ten_to_make_announcement_o.html

Exploring the possibility of expansion, not “to Expand”. Still got a long ways to go, as we’ve seen before.

ESPN Story

so who do we guess it would be if they were to add another team?

I hear people say Notre Dame all the time, but I can’t really see them ever leaving their independent football contracts and/or the big east in basketball.

So who else is out there? I hear mention of lots of Big East schools, but those seem unlikely also. I would guess it would have to be some smaller conference team, like somebody from the MAC? I really don’t know though, haven’t given it enough thought I guess…

Kind of a strange announcement, given the timeframe.

I think you have to consider the Big Ten Conference when thinking about this. Obviously they want to expand their market share. Does ND, being in the same market as Purdue and NW, add anything? Certainly on a national level. But how much? Does Mizzou bring the St. Louis market? Does Rutgers bring New York City? Texas? Nebraska? I think it’s wide open.

Seeing that it is the Big Ten Conference that’s looking to expand, then, I agree :slight_smile:

Personally I don’t really buy the idea that Rutgers would magically given the BTN NY. NYC isn’t exactly a big college sports town, and PSU has lots of alums spread all across the east. ND would probably add more demand TV wise to the BTN than Rutgers in NY. ND would give the BTN a larger area to expand because ND has a national following. I would look at it more like Purdue and NW are in the market that ND is in. Plus Uncle Lar made a long post on FOS about the TV angle. The gist seemed to be that since we don’t really know what the deal is between the BTN and Conference, along with the BTN’s agreement with the cable providers, it’s tough to say if/what the money would increase and how the channel’s tier might be changed.

One man’s opinion:

Big Ten should add Cincinnati, Commentary By Cory Giger, altoonamirror.com

ND brings a national following that would dwarf what anyone else would bring to the conference. Dwarf.

I’ll put up a poll (or someone else can…) I have heard these names on boards and in sportswriter speculations: ND, Mizzou, Texas, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville. I am sure there are others.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:500”]so who do we guess it would be if they were to add another team?

I hear people say Notre Dame all the time, but I can’t really see them ever leaving their independent football contracts and/or the big east in basketball.

So who else is out there? I hear mention of lots of Big East schools, but those seem unlikely also. I would guess it would have to be some smaller conference team, like somebody from the MAC? I really don’t know though, haven’t given it enough thought I guess…[/quote]

The MAC? What in heaven’s name makes you think that? What school there would fit the profile of a Big Ten school? ???

My bet is Missouri.

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:500"]Does ND, being in the same market as Purdue and NW, add anything? Certainly on a national level. But how much?[/quote]

ND brings a national following that would dwarf what anyone else would bring to the conference. Dwarf.

I’ll put up a poll (or someone else can…) I have heard these names on boards and in sportswriter speculations: ND, Mizzou, Texas, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville. I am sure there are others.

If not ND, I’d love to see Texas or Nebraska join the BT.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:3, topic:500"]so who do we guess it would be if they were to add another team?

So who else is out there? I hear mention of lots of Big East schools, but those seem unlikely also. I would guess it would have to be some smaller conference team, like somebody from the MAC? I really don’t know though, haven’t given it enough thought I guess…[/quote]

The MAC? What in heaven’s name makes you think that? What school there would fit the profile of a Big Ten school? ???

My bet is Missouri.

Well everyone assumes that a major conference player is going to be their target, but I can’t see that being an easy sell for some of these schools that are rumored.

I’m just mentioning something I heard awhile back - I honestly don’t know what will happen, but I think everyone assuming it would be some major program with a lengthy history already established in another conference is probably dreaming.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:3, topic:500"]so who do we guess it would be if they were to add another team?

My bet is Missouri.

Well everyone assumes that a major conference player is going to be their target, but I can’t see that being an easy sell for some of these schools that are rumored.

I’m just mentioning something I heard awhile back - I honestly don’t know what will happen, but I think everyone assuming it would be some major program with a lengthy history already established in another conference is probably dreaming.

I think the only reason some of those teams would leave their conference is if they feel their academic standards are more in line with the Big 10, or if the Big 10 can somehow offer them more $$$ than their current situation. Mizzou has a crazy rivalry with Kansas. I guess they could still play every year, but it wouldn’t be the same without the conference implications. Heck, “beating Missouri” was high on Turner Gill’s “to-do” list during his acceptance speech. Seems like ISU would be a more realistic Big 12 team. To me, Cincy seems like too much of a “city school” for the Big 10.

I have no clue what considerations need to be made from the Big 10’s side, but it does seem unrealistic to me that some of these more “conference established” teams would leave where they are. Then again, I don’t know much about this stuff.

Guys, the Big 10 may have the biggest conference payout of any of the Big 6. The Big Ten Network has been groundbreaking.

The conference has some of the most prestigious public schools in the country (although certainly not far ahead of the ACC with UNC and Virginia and the PAC-10 with UCLA and Cal).

This is a poaching operation.

I think Pitt, Rutgers and Missouri are as low as they would go (whole package, academics and athletics - not necessarly casting aspersions on their academics), and I would not be surprised if Texas and at least another approach to ND weren’t the Big Ten’s first step. (I’m with JoePa on ND, but they just bring to many eyeballs to the tube to be ignored. They don’t fit in any other way than physical location.)

From a fan standpoint, these would be my choices in order:

1. Texas (great school, great football and basketball)
  2. Pitt (traditional rival)
  3. Rutgers (east coast partner)
  4. Missouri (sensible Big 10 profile)

I find Notre Dame folks as annoying as Ohio State fans, with only a slightly better vocabulary. Other than getting the chance to whack them around every once in a while, I don’t see that much positive other than $$$ they would bring to TV contracts.

One of the things I find really curious is that a news item stating that the Big Ten would be announcing that it was expanding was one of the major news items at 2 PM on WTIC radio in Hartford. It wasn’t a sports story - it was a news story. There is hardly ever mention of the Big Ten in the Hartford market given that UCONN is one of the pillars of the Big East. WTIC carries all UCONN basketball and football games.

So why the mention of the Big Ten expanding on WTIC radio and how did WTIC get the news? Maybe ESPN sent it to them. Lots of the WTIC sports guys moonlight over at ESPN in the evening and on weekends. Given the connection lots of ESPN guys have to Syracuse, maybe Syracuse is coming in. Or maybe UCONN will get a bid. Note that UCONN was just cited for graduating more than 90% of the football recruits who came in with the class of 2002.

Or maybe the Big Ten just has that kind of national interest on an otherwise slow news day.

News about the announcement was also carried by two California outlets, too.

UConn would be a tremendous candidate.

That would be awesome. How much do you guys thing geographic location plays a role. Not necessarily in the TV market, but in general?

I’d think in a time when many athletic departments are cutting costs at all costs…that expecting the Iowa women’s tennis team to go the whole way to UConn for a match wouldn’t exactly excite the accounting department.

Notre Dame won’t go for it.

So, Pitt or bust.