Big Ten stumbles out of the gate

Minnesota loses to Portland
Illinois loses to Utah
Michigan State loses to unranked Florida
Michigan loses to unranked Marquette
Indiana is swept in Puerto Rico
Penn State loses twice to UNCW and Tulane
Iowa just plain stinks (losses at home to UTSA and Duquesne)

Few positives have been Northwestern over ND tonight, Wisconsin grabbing a few nice wins in Maui and Purdue holding off Tennessee.

Anyone wanna wager on the Big Ten/ACC challenge again?

Talk to any ACC fan. All they’re talking about is how far they’re going to fall this year.

Big East was suppose to be down, but so far they have impressed me… Cincy went to the Maui finals beating two ranked teams. Marquette is in the finals of their tourney beating two ranked teams, and WVU also.

Seems like teams in the BigTen start slowly a lot of years. Thus, even though I think the BigTen will be better than the ACC this year, I still wouldn’t place a wager on the BigTen/ACC Challenge. But I really hope this is the year the streak gets broken.

B10 was hyped up this year, so far they have been pretty poor as a whole.

Still think this is a really good conference top to bottom. In basketball like no other sport the games at the beginning of the season mean less to what the true outcome of a season is going to be. You can see the process the whole way through and see whether individuals grow/stay the same/ or decline. That is the only way to judge a basketball team.

The talent is here in this conference right now. Some of the top coaches in the nation are in this conference. I think by the end of the year people will be saying the same things they were at the beginning of it. These games are mostly a tune-up for what is to come. It’s not to say that these early games don’t matter because they do in the moment but we are not seeing teams now as we will later on.

I think Izzo just might gets his second National Championship this year. The talent is there and he will keep molding till the end result is scary good. Right now he is mixing and matching young talent with old talent but he will get that team to gel eventually. Same thing for a few other teams in this conference. Hopefully us included.

Stumbling out of the gate doesn’t look good I guess but stumbling to the finish line won’t happen and that is really what matters.

Illinois losses to 2 loss Bradley.

Frankly, I think this might be the most exciting college hoops season in quite some time. The past few seasons there have been 1, 2, maybe as many as 4 teams that were clearly head and shoulders above the field (last year UNC pretty much sleepwalked through the season, then stepped on the gas in the tourney and won going away). This year, there are some good teams. But so many surprises already (UCLA getting humbled by Portland???). Tighten your seat belts, this might be a wild ride.

Michigan loses to Alabama.
Minnesota loses to Texas A&M.

When does it stop?

[quote=“noobd, post:9, topic:366”]Michigan loses to Alabama.
Minnesota loses to Texas A&M.

When does it stop?[/quote]

Both games were close at least.

Michigan loses to Alabama. Minnesota loses to Texas A&M.

When does it stop?

Exactly. Besides, tomorrow is a good chance for some teams to get some big wins

[quote="noobd, post:9, topic:366"]Michigan loses to Alabama. Minnesota loses to Texas A&M.

When does it stop?[/quote]

Exactly. Besides, tomorrow is a good chance for some teams to get some big wins

Which “teams”?

The only game tomorrow is PSU vs. Virginia.

This conference right now is bad…

Bad?? Hardly.

A few teams have some bad losses but I wouldn’t call the B10 a bad conference.

PSUSoccer is correct. RIGHT NOW, the conference is nothing special at all.

Only “resume” wins:
Minnesota over #12 Butler
Wisconsin over #21 Maryland
NW over #22 ND
OSU over #13 Cal (clearly overrated though)
MSU over Zaga? (top 5 team over a non-ranked at the time is worthy I suppose)
Purdue over #10 Tennessee

Don’t forget that only Purdue is undefeated, Iowa is awful and there has been a handful of bad losses already posted in this thread. The B10 has fell way short of its hype so far in the OOC.