PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big Ten Plus Minus Standings

I got a late start this year so I’ll do both weeks together.

Week One:

Week Two:

Week Three: MSU alone on top

Week Four: Not much movement but Nebraska’s loss to OSU gets us out of the cellar tie and moves OSU into a first place tie. Wisconsin wins their conference leading third road game to compensate for their two home losses and Michigan is still searching for that elusive road win.

Week Five: Nebraska’s win at Iowa drops us back into a tie for last place. Northwestern’s loss to Purdue at home also drops them into the cellar and it’s once again starting to look like they won’t be doing any dancing come March.

Week Six: Ohio State sits alone at the top. PSU will meet Nebraska on Saturday for a likely must-win game to avoid dropping into sole possession of the basement.

Week Seven: MSU’s win at Columbus allows them to catch and pass Ohio State for sole possession of first place in the conference. Wisconsin’s five wins on the road (easily the most in the conference) make up for the early season losses at home and move them back up into contention for the conference title). Nebraska’s loss to Michigan at home and failure to win in State College lets PSU move past them in the race to stay out of the cellar.

Thanks, Lar
So, where would you draw the two lines for the top, middle and bottom groups?
I think you can easiy draw one line above PSU to define the cellar.
Looking at the road wins, you could argue the other line is below Wisky to seperate the top of the confernce, even though UM and Wisky have the same +/-

Illinois managed to keep from defending its home court tonight.

[quote=“MarkH, post:8, topic:2967”]Thanks, Lar
So, where would you draw the two lines for the top, middle and bottom groups?
I think you can easiy draw one line above PSU to define the cellar.
Looking at the road wins, you could argue the other line is below Wisky to seperate the top of the confernce, even though UM and Wisky have the same +/-[/quote]

I wouldn’t do that. Given that every road wins also creates a home loss, I don’t think you can favor one over the other. Drawing a line below Wisconsin denigrates Michigan’s ability to protect it’s home court. The beauty of the plus/minus really is it’s simplicity and I don’t think trying to parse it any further is worthwhile.

Week Seven Point Five Update:

As the season winds down, mid-week updates might be in order:

Ohio State’s win at Minnesota vaults them back into a tie for first while Illinois’ loss to Purdue actually gets them into range of PSU.

MSU Michigan remains the only team state that’s undefeated at home, while PSU Pennsylvania continues to be the only one who hasn’t won on the road.

UM?

[quote="UncleLar, post:11, topic:2967"]MSU remains the only team that's undefeated at home, while PSU continues to be the only one who hasn't won on the road.[/quote]

UM?

Oops.

[quote="UncleLar, post:11, topic:2967"]MSU remains the only team that's undefeated at home, while PSU continues to be the only one who hasn't won on the road.[/quote]

UM?

Oops.

Hey, I’m hanging on every word!

Week 8:

MSU’s win at Purdue is the only road victory/home loss this weekend. It once again gives MSU sole possession of first place and also gives Purdue the sole .500 record in the conference.

Minus 1 also becomes a magic number because it looks to be the cutoff for an NCAA bid (for teams not named Iowa).

Week Eight Point Five:

Michigan State separates themselves a bit from the pack with their win at Minnesota.
Northwestern’s home loss against Michigan drops them back into range of Penn State. If NW has any hopes of breaking their NCAA non-appearance streak this season, Saturday’s game against PSU become a MUST win (I think that term is used all too often in sports but in this case, it’s pretty true - lose and the best they can do is wind up with an 8-10 B10 record and they will have to beat Ohio State to reach that)

Week Nine:

Wisconsin’s win over OSU basically hands Michigan State the keys to the Big Ten trophy case. Illinois and Minnesota’s late season stumbles now have them on the outside looking in when it comes to dancing time. Northwestern’s win at PSU keeps their hopes for a first ever bid alive.