PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big Ten Plus Minus Standings

Week One Standings:

Thanks, Lar, for your annual efforts to track this valuable metric. There might be better ones out there, but you can’t beat the “bang for the buck” with this one. Sometimes the best metrics are the easiest ones to understand and relate to.

Week Two Standings:

Week Three Standings:

Ain’t it funny how descriptive these numbers are? If I had to rank the teams in the big10 at this moment they would look awfully similar to that list you’ve most recent put up - with maybe some shuffling of the teams that are even. Crazy how well this seems to sum it up, even this early in the season.

Great stuff… Interesting that we’re still at zero, yet we have a home loss. No team with a positive +/- has a home loss yet, and the only other -0- school with a home loss is NW. It kind of argues that we’re closer to the bottom of the zeros than the top. How close are Wisky and MSU from fliping with eachother on this list? I’d argue we’re at the top of the bottom half than “even up” with Wisky and Minny.

Thanks again, Lar.

[quote=“MarkH, post:6, topic:1720”]Great stuff… Interesting that we’re still at zero, yet we have a home loss. No team with a positive +/- has a home loss yet, and the only other -0- school with a home loss is NW. It kind of argues that we’re closer to the bottom of the zeros than the top. How close are Wisky and MSU from fliping with eachother on this list? I’d argue we’re at the top of the bottom half than “even up” with Wisky and Minny.

Thanks again, Lar.[/quote]

How do you figure a home loss makes us closer to the bottom of the teams that are even? That means we’ve gone on the road and won a game, something the two even teams you think are ahead of us have not done.

I love and appreciate the +/- standings as much as the next guy, but it’s early in the conference season. This is nearly the exact same order as the real rankings (only difference is Lar’s subjectivity in teams with 0). I don’t see how week 3 +/- really tells us anything descriptive, especially since there hasn’t been any heavy-hitters so far in-conference. No Purdue/OSU…OSU/MSU…Ill/MSU…Purdue/Ill, etc.

Week Four:

Week Five (mid-week):

Week Five:

Thanks, Lar!! Boy, how this looks different if we could count the “W” we got at Purdue :wink:

Plus Minus heading into the weekend:

Week Six Standings:

Look at MSU… Their free fall doesn’t look so bad when viewed this way. It would still be a major scalp for us on Thursday.

I think OSU is also skewing the numbers a bit. I don’t remember it ever being so top heavy with one school before. How many of those home losses are to OSU? 6 road wins is just blowing the doors off what anyone else has been able to do.

Week Seven Midweek Standings:

Stealing from the other thread, going 4-2 the rest of the way puts at -0- for the year, but it would most likely be with 2 road W’s at teams with -1 and -2, and a home loss to OSU (Everyone’s got one of those). Looking at this list, it seems doable with where we are right now in the standings.

… and a -0- in this ranking I think is enough to get us in (assuming 1st rd win in BTT)

Week Seven Standings:

[quote=“MarkH, post:17, topic:1720”]Stealing from the other thread, going 4-2 the rest of the way puts at -0- for the year, but it would most likely be with 2 road W’s at teams with -1 and -2, and a home loss to OSU (Everyone’s got one of those). Looking at this list, it seems doable with where we are right now in the standings.

… and a -0- in this ranking I think is enough to get us in (assuming 1st rd win in BTT)[/quote]

At 0 in this ranking puts us at 9-9 and that is very very suspect when it comes to getting a bid.

[quote="MarkH, post:17, topic:1720"]Stealing from the other thread, going 4-2 the rest of the way puts at -0- for the year, but it would most likely be with 2 road W's at teams with -1 and -2, and a home loss to OSU (Everyone's got one of those). Looking at this list, it seems doable with where we are right now in the standings.

… and a -0- in this ranking I think is enough to get us in (assuming 1st rd win in BTT)[/quote]

At 0 in this ranking puts us at 9-9 and that is very very suspect when it comes to getting a bid.

Fair enough… but at -0- and we make it to Sat in the BTT we’re going to be really close, and I still say the committee will cut us about 1.5oz of slack on the Michigan loss w/o Brooks if we get close enough.