Big Ten Network Basketball Preview

It’s more like a pre-preview but I think there are a lot of good points in this:
http://www.bigtennetwork.com/blogs/index.asp?post_id=3206

I agree with Talor on 2nd team. Talent alone doesn’t give you the 1st team nod, I think he has just as much Lucas and Harris, but the supporting cast isn’t known. I think he CAN be on the 1st team if the cast is there, but for the most part we can only speculate. I also think that the Big Ten will win the B10 ACC challenge, but yet again I can only speculate so much.

This could be the year the Big Ten wins the challenge. Our conference is better and I think the ACC is down from last year. Will be exciting. Can’t wait.

Looks like Talor and Drew are set to represent PSU at BigTen Media day (October 29).

With that coming up and practice starting in a couple days, we should start to see some articles about the team and the Big Ten. Our information drought will be over!!!

[quote=“blue2blue, post:3, topic:101”]Looks like Talor and Drew are set to represent PSU at BigTen Media day (October 29).

With that coming up and practice starting in a couple days, we should start to see some articles about the team and the Big Ten. Our information drought will be over!!![/quote]

Looking forward to some new info. Kid needs something new to sink his teeth into :wink: and I’m looking forward to his analysis on anything that hasn’t already been discussed to death. Seriously, I can’t wait to get this season underway. For such a short offseason, it sure has seemed longer than usual.

When’s our own media day? Is that soon or not for a while?

They hold it a couple of days after the Big Ten media day event.

[quote="blue2blue, post:3, topic:101"]Looks like Talor and Drew are set to represent PSU at BigTen Media day (October 29).

With that coming up and practice starting in a couple days, we should start to see some articles about the team and the Big Ten. Our information drought will be over!!![/quote]

Looking forward to some new info. Kid needs something new to sink his teeth into :wink: and I’m looking forward to his analysis on anything that hasn’t already been discussed to death. Seriously, I can’t wait to get this season underway. For such a short offseason, it sure has seemed longer than usual.

Not sure I can offer anything new, and it’s hard to argue with 1st team. I think Harris is the best player, and thought that last year. Last year’s team had 3 guards make it, and the frosh team in '07 had no pg’s, so I don’t think it’s necessary to pick 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center, but I do think that’s more appropriate. IMO, Talor beats out Lucas. 1st, no more Walton to shut Battle down(or try to), so Kalin will most likely get the job, unless it’s given to a freshman(not looking it up, but they have 5’11" frosh). So, he’ll get into foul trouble and it will hurt his game. Now, of course this will be evident vs. PSU, but will it be throughout the whole sked? Maybe not. Lucas is good, and it will be hard to beat him out, but we’ll see. If Talor is leading scorer in conference, which is certainly a possibility, might be tough to keep him off. I do expect Talor’s scoring to go up a little, maybe 18ppg, but if we don’t get the front line scoring to replace Cornley(14ppg), and Babb and Frazier can’t add up to equal Danny and Stanley (around 17ppg), IMO, he will score more, like 20-21ppg. He had a lot of confidence in the three graduating players, in their ability to shoot/score. If he doesn’t have the outlets this year, he’ll shoot more.

Re the team, I agree with the writer. Lots of questions. Without knocking anyone in particular, I believe the team will be good if the newbies are good. I am very optimistic on the guard play, with Babb and Frazier. The front line is loaded with question marks. I think it probable that a new front line player will be second and maybe first in front line scoring. If they’re in double digits(a tall order) the team will be very good. Shurna averaged 7.3ppg as a frosh on NU. Something like that coming from Oliver or somebody else would be awesome.

Hey at least we’re now up to “mystery” status, instead of “sucks” status.

The Big Ten will be a bear this year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see eight teams make the tourney, with PSU being amongst those.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:8, topic:101”]Hey at least we’re now up to “mystery” status, instead of “sucks” status.

The Big Ten will be a bear this year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see eight teams make the tourney, with PSU being amongst those.[/quote]

If we hold our own against the ACC this year, it will (hopefully) send a message that we deserve more teams in the tourney. We are looked at as “bad” basketball (or whatever they called it last year), so we need to show we are better than the rest even if it’s ugly.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:8, topic:101"]Hey at least we're now up to "mystery" status, instead of "sucks" status.

The Big Ten will be a bear this year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see eight teams make the tourney, with PSU being amongst those.[/quote]

If we hold our own against the ACC this year, it will (hopefully) send a message that we deserve more teams in the tourney. We are looked at as “bad” basketball (or whatever they called it last year), so we need to show we are better than the rest even if it’s ugly.

The league did have seven last year. It would have been eight had a certain team replaced a few 300+ RPI teams with a few 100-150 RPI teams. ::slight_smile:

Or beat Iowa (I knew you were waiting for it). :wink:

The league did have seven last year. It would have been eight had a certain team [b]replaced a few 300+ RPI teams with a few 100-150 RPI teams[/b]. ::)

Or beat Iowa (I knew you were waiting for it). :wink:

Damn you Jake Kelly…I’d transfer too if I was him…visiting the BJC wouldn’t have been fun.lol

Yeah that’s all true. But the media beat up the Big Ten last year. The best way to counter that punch is to beat up on the media darlings from the ACC.

I agree. This year’s B10/ACC challenge will be huge from a “national respect” perspective. We need all of the B10 teams to clean up during the OOC season.