PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big Ten Media Day

Preseason pick - Michigan State (OSU 2nd, Purdue 3rd)

Preseason POY - Kalin Lucas

Preseason All Big Ten team
-Kalin Lucas
-E’Twaun Moore
-JuJuan Johnson
-Demetri McCamey
-Jon Leuer

We were the only team that didn’t make it today to media day. Haven’t heard why.

two guesses…

1. Payday isn’t until Friday and ED couldn’t afford to fill up the mini van from Fleet Services.

2. The team is too busy working on their dance steps for Saturday.

weather too turbulent for charter team why such negativity

weather too turbulent for charter team why such negativity

because… threaltruth …unfortunately, some on this board thrive on negativity… ??? :frowning:

because… threaltruth …unfortunately, some on this board thrive on negativity… ??? :([/quote]

True, but Manatree just has a funny sense of humor. It was a joke. :wink:

because… threaltruth …unfortunately, some on this board thrive on negativity… ??? :([/quote]

Well I’d rather thrive on the success of the hoops team but in the absense of that…

NOBODY like a smart ass. If the shoe fits, wear it.

It’s absolutely unacceptable that Penn State did not attend media day today.

So the flight couldn’t leave yesterday due to the weather… couldn’t they have left last night or early this morning? It’s not like this storm front was a surprise. All 10 other schools were able to attend.

I bet if it were football media day, Penn State would’ve found a way to get there.

Wow, Cap… ???

Ya need to chill out…It’s a long year…“Ed bashing” hasn’t even started yet.
Put me down for a Size 13WW.

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:8, topic:1427”]It’s absolutely unacceptable that Penn State did not attend media day today.

So the flight couldn’t leave yesterday due to the weather… couldn’t they have left last night or early this morning? It’s not like this storm front was a surprise. All 10 other schools were able to attend.

I bet if it were football media day, Penn State would’ve found a way to get there.[/quote]

I don’t really care too much about media day. Frankly, I’d rather the players and the coaches stayed home and practiced some more. We weren’t going to learn anything interesting from the prepared soundbites, anyway.

While I see your point, the biggest benefit is the exposure. Whether it’s at the national level or even the conference level, getting your face (and your star player’s face) out there in goes a long way to more exposure, making sure you aren’t overlooked for awards, etc. Yes, they don’t help with wins and losses, but exposure is something that this team has sorely lacked forever and we need all we can get to help being in recruits. Obviously, a recruit isn’t going to choose PSU simply because he saw Ed on TV at Big Ten Media Day, but every little bit helps.

[quote="bstanf, post:10, topic:1427"]I don't really care too much about media day. Frankly, I'd rather the players and the coaches stayed home and practiced some more. We weren't going to learn anything interesting from the prepared soundbites, anyway.[/quote]

While I see your point, the biggest benefit is the exposure. Whether it’s at the national level or even the conference level, getting your face (and your star player’s face) out there in goes a long way to more exposure, making sure you aren’t overlooked for awards, etc. Yes, they don’t help with wins and losses, but exposure is something that this team has sorely lacked forever and we need all we can get to help being in recruits. Obviously, a recruit isn’t going to choose PSU simply because he saw Ed on TV at Big Ten Media Day, but every little bit helps.

If this were 1970 i might understand what you’re saying… you really think of the Big ten basketball media day as a necessary photo-op for awards in 2010 though? I think everyone around the country knows well of Talor Battle at this point, and he’s the only guy that needs to be concerned with any of the types of awards you’re mentioning.

Besides that - anybody else that plays great will not be some secret to the rest of the league, all the games are televised these days save for a handful against minor opponents. It’s really not the big deal you and nittanynation are making it out to be… at all.

well that’s fine, but then we better not complain about the lack of media coverage.

my shoe’s a 13E or 13EE…my ass is at least a double D

The people that are voting for individual awards are the guys sitting in that room today. Of course they all know who Talor Battle is, but you’re kidding yourself if you think that these guys are actually watching every Big Ten team every night. Talor presents himself very well, and it’s the type of thing that these guys could certainly remember when it comes time to vote. They’re human after all, and the more that they know a player (and the more they like him), the better chance that they vote for him.

Heck, I was watching ESPNU this afternoon and they were covering the Big Ten and Pac 10 Media Days. They went from team to team and talked with each coach. They did get Ed by phone, but was about 5 minutes shorter than the time spent on everyone else.

It isn’t a huge deal, and if the weather is bad then it’s quite possible that nothing could have been done about it. OK. But at the end of the day, I’ll stand by what I said in that we need any and all of the exposure for this program that we can get.

Just not sure what kind of exposure you think this really equates to. There are no promising high school athletes out there skipping school and watching ESPNU during the afternoon to catch all the Big Ten media day “action”. Nobody will know anything about this event except for the preseason picks, and those have nothing to do with actually physically being there in person as a team. If anything, we’ll get MORE coverage for not being there because of the weather - it will be newsworthy that we did not make it. But even that is barely worth a mention anywhere because this day means nothing to anybody that matters.

It’s nitpicking to worry about this on any level. We have much bigger issues to concern ourselves with as a program.

[quote="bstanf, post:10, topic:1427"]I don't really care too much about media day. Frankly, I'd rather the players and the coaches stayed home and practiced some more. We weren't going to learn anything interesting from the prepared soundbites, anyway.[/quote]

If this were 1970 i might understand what you’re saying… you really think of the Big ten basketball media day as a necessary photo-op for awards in 2010 though? I think everyone around the country knows well of Talor Battle at this point, and he’s the only guy that needs to be concerned with any of the types of awards you’re mentioning.

Besides that - anybody else that plays great will not be some secret to the rest of the league, all the games are televised these days save for a handful against minor opponents. It’s really not the big deal you and nittanynation are making it out to be… at all.

What about the all freshman team? I think we might have a candidate or two.

What about the all freshman team? I think we might have a candidate or two.

I’d say 1, possibly.

Funny enough that we all go crazy over a player who isn’t even one of the top 20 recruits coming into the big 10 this year according to several scouting sites. Now the big difference will be that Taran is almost surely going to get more minutes than 99 percent of the freshmen in this class because of the situation he comes into, whereas some of those schools regularly recruit 4 and 5 star guys that have to sit on the bench early in their collegiate careers.

While Taran is big news to us, I’m not sure he’s going to impress a lot of these other schools who regularly recruit players as good as him or better. And somehow I doubt just being at the big 10 media day is going to get him on their radar, when they’re going to meet several dozen new players they know just as little about as him. Big fish… welcome to the big pond.

My hope is that he earns their attention through play on the court rather than big 10 media day introductions.

It’s also about giving the reporters for the other programs to meet & get some insight on some of our people. It’s not the biggest thing in the world, but you can bet that if it were football, they would have found a way to get our guys there, even if it meant someone from the SID office driving a Winny non-stop while our guys slept in the back.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:15, topic:1427”]Just not sure what kind of exposure you think this really equates to. There are no promising high school athletes out there skipping school and watching ESPNU during the afternoon to catch all the Big Ten media day “action”. Nobody will know anything about this event except for the preseason picks, and those have nothing to do with actually physically being there in person as a team. If anything, we’ll get MORE coverage for not being there because of the weather - it will be newsworthy that we did not make it. But even that is barely worth a mention anywhere because this day means nothing to anybody that matters.

It’s nitpicking to worry about this on any level. We have much bigger issues to concern ourselves with as a program. [/quote]

Period.

Given the tragic weather related circumstances that happened in South Bend yesterday, I can find little fault with the administration for erring on the side of caution when it comes to dealing with Mother Nature. If travel was at all risky, they made the right decision.