PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big Ten divisions also to be used in basketball

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832

PSU is going to be in a division with OSU, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Wisconsin and will play each of its divisional opponents twice every basketball season. That seems to make things even tougher than usual, but I haven’t gone back and looked at how often they have played those teams home and home in recent seasons.

I saw this on the news and was just about to post it, too…beat me to it Psu96 ;D :wink:

I was hoping the league was only going to use the divisions for football. I like the way the split works out for football…not so happy with the way it plays out for basketball.

…also, not sure I like the fact that the Big Ten appears to be going back to a 16 game league schedule with the split. I think it will put even more pressure on the staff to develop a challenging OOC schedule.

Ouch…

As is stands now, four of the top five teams would be in PSU’s division.

Michigan State (other division)
PURDUE
ILLINOIS
OHIO STATE
WISCONSIN

With Nebraska, Iowa, NW and Michigan all in the the other division.

Makes for exciting opponents but an unfair balance.

The press release from the Big Ten makes NO MENTION of basketball divisions.

The Big Ten Network will air the official live announcement of the Big Ten football divisions with Commissioner Jim Delany at 7 p.m. ET tonight. The show will also be streamed live at BigTenNetwork.com

ESPN is purely speculating. And, frankly, I think their divisions are wrong. The would-be cross-divisional rivarlies do not match up or make any sense after the first couple.

Perhaps this can be used as a recruiting pitch - especially against teams in the other division? It will not make it an easy road for us, at all, but enough with excuses of why it can’t be done at PSU

ESPN may have this all wrong. Check out this image from the BTN studios for tonight’s show.

http://media.bigtennetwork.com//photo/2010/08/30/BigTen-Divisions-512-by-355_20100830164628_640_480.JPG

[quote=“Psu96, post:1, topic:1328”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832

PSU is going to be in a division with OSU, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Wisconsin and will play each of its divisional opponents twice every basketball season. That seems to make things even tougher than usual, but I haven’t gone back and looked at how often they have played those teams home and home in recent seasons.[/quote]

That’s not what the article says.

It says two divisions are a POSSIBILITY and that one division is also still a possibility. I’m betting they stick with one.

From the FWIW category…here’s a blog post from ESPN, following Katz’s announcement, that focuses on the hoops side of things:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/14815/examining-the-big-tens-new-divisions

It doesn’t say one way or the other if divisions will remain for hoops, but I have to be skeptical that it will remain that way because the divisions were created based on the strength of each school’s football team.

so i didn’t follow this at all, is there any supposed rhyme or reason for how they will divide the teams?

[quote=“Psu96, post:6, topic:1328”]ESPN may have this all wrong. Check out this image from the BTN studios for tonight’s show.

http://media.bigtennetwork.com//photo/2010/08/30/BigTen-Divisions-512-by-355_20100830164628_640_480.JPG[/quote]

I’d like to think the BTN would want to attract as many viewers as possible at 7pm, and that graphic is just randomly ordered.

@BigTenNetwork tweeted that the image was just a random graphic.

Nope, it will be just like watching the Pennsylvania Lottery.

Primary objective was to create a competitive balance between the divisions. Secondary objective was to preserve as many traditional rivalries as possible.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:9, topic:1328"]so i didn't follow this at all, is there any supposed rhyme or reason for how they will divide the teams?[/quote]

Primary objective was to create a competitive balance between the divisions. Secondary objective was to preserve as many traditional rivalries as possible.

If ESPN is correct about the divisions, and PSU gets Nebraska every year, I guess the Land Grant Trophy will not be awarded annually. Or do we end up screwed and have MSU as our “rivalry” game? That would suck.

my only wish for the land Grant Trophy is that we would do what any self respecting farmer would do, plow it under.

Back to football. A question. What is reasoning to have tO$U and SCum in different divisions? Would they not still play each year in a crossover game at the end of the year? If so, then they could play AGAIN in the conference championship game.

Yes they would still play a cross over game. But not necessarily at the end of the season. By putting them in separate divisions you have the possibility of a rematch in the championship game. Don’t you think if the Big Ten had a choice of which two teams would meet for the championship they would prefer that it be Ohio State/Michigan? The only way that could happen is if they are in separate divisions.

[quote="tundra, post:16, topic:1328"]Back to football. A question. What is reasoning to have tO$U and SCum in different divisions? Would they not still play each year in a crossover game at the end of the year? If so, then they could play AGAIN in the conference championship game.[/quote]

Yes they would still play a cross over game. But not necessarily at the end of the season. By putting them in separate divisions you have the possibility of a rematch in the championship game. Don’t you think if the Big Ten had a choice of which two teams would meet for the championship they would prefer that it be Ohio State/Michigan? The only way that could happen is if they are in separate divisions.

YES, I do. I was just assumeing the “cross over” would be the last game of the conference. We should know in a couple of hours.

The divisions have been announced for football :

X Division : Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana
O Division : Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan St, Northwestern, Minnesota

Looks like the football rivalry that PSU has had with Iowa over the past few years is getting cut down. Too bad. And now that Michigan sucks, PSU doesn’t get to beat up on Michigan every year in football to get them back for all those consecutive losses from 1997-2007. Oh well, at least PSU is playing Wisconsin every year.

They said that basketball divisions have not been decided, and will be a result of coaches input among other things. So it’s still possible there could be no divisions in basketball.

PSU plays Nebraska home in football in November next year, and travels to Nebraska late in the season as well in 2012.

The X division looks to be a tougher division for basketball then for football. I don’t think divisions are needed for basketball.