PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big Ten Division names and logo

Annoucement at noon.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/about_us/Big-Ten-Conference-Divisions-2010

I bet there will NOT be a P, a S or an U in new logo. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Gunmen

Wow, did they get that logo from a kindergarten class. Where is the subliminal 12? No fancy type face and using a 1 for the I in BIG, WTF! ???

http://twitpic.com/3fme91

is that a 1 for the I? I don’t get it. Am I missing a hidden 2 somewhere?

I approve. They’re not perfect, but they show a lot of deference to the past logos of the Big Ten, and still manage to not feel like they’re stuck in the past.

I also think that B1G could become good shorthand for referring to the conference, and a good hashtag for social networking sites.

Legends and Leaders as the two divisions is kind of lame.

is the G supposed to be a zero or a foreshadowed six?

I sure hope they didn’t spend a lot of money on the logo and division names!

Legends and Leaders? Those are ridiculous names. LOL I’d love to see how much they paid some marketing firm to come up with that crap.

It’s supposed to be a connection to the zero in B10.

At first I thought the conference names were a little weak, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. My preference was Stagg and Berwanger but I like the thought process that says they are honoring the Legends of the past and building the Leaders of the future.

I thought naming the championship trophy for Stagg and Paterno was a great move too.

don’t know what to think about the div names…always thought that the ACC was silly with Atlantic & Coastal…what were our other choices? rust & corn?

I don’t know what they were suppose to come up with that would’ve 'wow’ed anybody. Who honestly cares?

Just something simple would have done. Not everything has to be “meaningful”. How about American and National? Works for other leagues.

How about instead of Leaders - Craftsy21? Instead of Legends - Rokk? :wink:

[quote="manatree, post:5, topic:1639"]is the G supposed to be a zero or a foreshadowed six?[/quote]

Lar is right about the B10.

Here is better pic showing that

Now if your a conspiracy theorist you can definitely see the G can be modified to look like 6 in the future. Can’t say that B1G will become the B16 but the conference chess game can’t be over yet.

I think the new logo is OK, and I’m not really liking the division names. I’ll just have to memorize what division each team is in.

[quote="manatree, post:5, topic:1639"]is the G supposed to be a zero or a foreshadowed six?[/quote]

At first I thought the conference names were a little weak, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. My preference was Stagg and Berwanger but I like the thought process that says they are honoring the Legends of the past and building the Leaders of the future.

I thought naming the championship trophy for Stagg and Paterno was a great move too.

Yeah, we get that from the word “ten” under it. Where is the connection to 12 teams? Why are they making a double reference to “10”?

I also thought the division names were lame. The “leaders” part is corny. I completely agree with not making the names connected to geography or numbers.

My vote was for “Crafty” and “Skeeza”.

How about Realists and Apologists

In the APOLOGISTS Division put
SCum
tO$U
Wisc. (because of their coach)
Iowa (check the current news)
Most BiG Ten10 football refs
One BiG Ten10 basketball ref

Crybabies and Adults would work also.

The division names just sound too boardgame-ish. Chutes and Ladders. Dungeons and Dragons.

A poster on the Nebraska board had a good idea…Heritage and Tradition

[quote=“Tom, post:19, topic:1639”]The division names just sound too boardgame-ish. Chutes and Ladders. Dungeons and Dragons.

A poster on the Nebraska board had a good idea…Heritage and Tradition[/quote]

I like this suggestion. But I don’t mind Leaders and Legends. I wish Hockey had never gone geographic. I like the Campbell and Wales conferences. And the Patrick, Smythe, Norris and Adams divisions.