PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

BIG TEN considers paying athletes

This coming out of BIG TEN meeting…

Big Ten considers pay proposal

CHICAGO -- Big Ten officials discussed a proposal that would pay athletes to help cover living expenses on top of their scholarships during the league's spring meetings this week.

The idea, which is backed by current NCAA president Mark Emmert and was favored by late NCAA president Myles Brand, is to bridge the gap between what athletic scholarships pay and other expenses like transportation and clothing. That difference has been estimated at between $2,000 to $5,000 per player.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said league athletic directors and officials have seriously discussed whether they should use some of their growing TV revenue to pay athletes more.

Slowly, the vail is being taken off. The farce of college athletics being an amatuer non-profit organization is the biggest charade since professional wrestling trying to sell themselves as being real.

I see the comparison!! :wink:
My favorite wrestler is a BigTen1112 grad!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Steele

It’s always been a matter of how cheap they can get off, not whether they were paid.

A little OT BUT linked is an article by Jay Pa talking about the nature of the NCAA:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/someone-exploits-a-loophole-and-the-ncaa-adds-new-rules-753284/

It think it is very naive of the BigTen1112 to think paying the athletes 2-5 grand will help or stop future problems.

Couple of more points before everybody wakes up!
I think I called the BigTen1112 naive in this issue…Change that to “foolish.” If everybody payed 5 grand the cheaters would still pay more to get an “advantage.” It just “UPs” the pay scale.

Also, does anybody think the timing of the BigTen1112 announcement “smells” a little bit??
Could it be tO$u may be in the news even more in the near future and the league wants to be “proactive” in the defense of it’s top program? ???

Remember …some say …“what’s good for the Big 2 is good for the BigTen1112.”…Maybe now it is a " Big 1."

Sure, pay them, I’m all for it.

Just…where is that money going to come from to pay every single student athlete? You can’t just pay the profitable sports’ athletes.

Jay’s column uses some pretty poor examples to make his point (if he had one)

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:2392”]A little OT BUT linked is an article by Jay Pa talking about the nature of the NCAA:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/someone-exploits-a-loophole-and-the-ncaa-adds-new-rules-753284/

I think it is very naive of the BigTen1112 to think paying the athletes 2-5 grand will help or stop future problems. [/quote]

It won’t stop anything, but it will be easier to disguise other things. When an athlete is rolling around with a lot of cash in his pocket, now they have something to point to.

This is also another step in seperating the BCS schools from the others. ALtely, the non-BCS schools seem to be making up ground. They are getting the athletes who may be sitting for a few years at the big schools and exploiting that lack of PT to bring them to the BSU, TCU, and Fresno State type of schools.

Now the BCS schools can waive the possibility of earning a legit $20K-$25K to these same athletes.

It may not be the only deciding factor, but it’s one more tool they can use.

A little OT BUT linked is an article by Jay Pa talking about the nature of the NCAA:

I think it is very naive of the BigTen1112 to think paying the athletes 2-5 grand will help or stop future problems.

It won’t stop anything, but it will be easier to disguise other things. When an athlete is rolling around with a lot of cash in his pocket, now they have something to point to.

This is also another step in seperating the BCS schools from the others. ALtely, the non-BCS schools seem to be making up ground. They are getting the athletes who may be sitting for a few years at the big schools and exploiting that lack of PT to bring them to the BSU, TCU, and Fresno State type of schools.

Now the BCS schools can waive the possibility of earning a legit $20K-$25K to these same athletes.

It may not be the only deciding factor, but it’s one more tool they can use.

This just smells like an attempt to further separate the BCS conferences from the others. And even the provide some separation among the BCS conferences.

[quote=“Tom, post:6, topic:2392”]Sure, pay them, I’m all for it.

Just…where is that money going to come from to pay every single student athlete? You can’t just pay the profitable sports’ athletes.

Jay’s column uses some pretty poor examples to make his point (if he had one)[/quote]

I think Jay’s point(s) are fine. I think he is talking about the nature of governing bodies (see: NCAA.) They (governing bodies) make rules THEN members circumvent the rules…so, they make more rules…THEN more circumventing…more rules…You get the point??

Which is how it works in every single governing body out there. See the Constitution for one.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:2392”]This coming out of BIG TEN meeting…

Big Ten considers pay proposal

Slowly, the vail is being taken off. The farce of college athletics being an amatuer non-profit organization is the biggest charade since professional wrestling trying to sell themselves as being real.[/quote]

Just pay them already and charge them tuition like the rest of us. Then they can stop you-know-whating and can experience what the rest of have to, paying the bills.

[quote=“Tom, post:6, topic:2392”]Sure, pay them, I’m all for it.

Just…where is that money going to come from to pay every single student athlete? You can’t just pay the profitable sports’ athletes.[/quote]

The price structure of STEP is bound to go up. Where else would the $ come from? Football supporters will be asked to provide the funds to “pay” all student athletes.

Sure, pay them, I'm all for it.

The price structure of STEP is bound to go up. Where else would the $ come from? Football supporters will be asked to provide the funds to “pay” all student athletes.

Well, STEP already quadrupled the revenue the AD makes off tickets. But nah, they can’t just use that extra money when you can just charge even more, it wouldn’t make sense.

Someone once told me…“Greed has no boundaries!”

STEP has nothing to do with ticket prices. It has everything to do with your NLC contribution to get those tickets.

Sure, pay them, I'm all for it.

It’s not PSU I’d even be a much worried about (which would be 1.5-3.5 million based on about 700 athletes. A single home game would cover that). It’s the large majority that are in the red every year that couldn’t pull it off.

What’s the cost of Tuition, room and board these days? $5k on top of that number really isn’t that much more. JoePa said YEARS ago that we should give the kids a stripend. Many come from disadvantaged neighborhoods and don’t even have money to buy pizza on a friday night. I don’t have a problem with that. I think the NCAA would have to put a cap on it, and keep it small. Maybe let the school pay for flights home once a year or something to cover travel. Some of these schools try to recruit kids from far away, and then there’s no $$ for a flight home at christmas time?

I actually like the idea of giving them cash, except that then Uncle Sam would step in and tax it like income, so you’d have to give the kids an extra 30% (give or take) so that the net bill would be zero.

[quote=“MarkH, post:17, topic:2392”]What’s the cost of Tuition, room and board these days? $5k on top of that number really isn’t that much more. JoePa said YEARS ago that we should give the kids a stripend. Many come from disadvantaged neighborhoods and don’t even have money to buy pizza on a friday night. I don’t have a problem with that. I think the NCAA would have to put a cap on it, and keep it small. Maybe let the school pay for flights home once a year or something to cover travel. Some of these schools try to recruit kids from far away, and then there’s no $$ for a flight home at christmas time?

I actually like the idea of giving them cash, except that then Uncle Sam would step in and tax it like income, so you’d have to give the kids an extra 30% (give or take) so that the net bill would be zero.[/quote]

I think if it falls below a certain threshold, then it won’t be taxed. Each person gets around a $7K personal deduction if they do an EZ.

BTW… I thought the kids already got a stipend, but it was a few hundred dollars and earmarked as something else.

@schadjoe: NCAA, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, CUSA, MAC all interested in exploring more $ for student-athletes

Next we just have to get rid of grades and classes and the rest of the extraneous junk! And, the athletes should get time and a half for overtime games.