Big Ten-ACC Challenge slate:

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/05/12/full_acc-big_ten_challenge_slate

Mon. Nov. 29 –

Virginia at Minnesota

Tues., Nov. 30 –

North Carolina at Illinois
Ohio State at Florida State
Michigan at Clemson
Georgia Tech at Northwestern
Iowa at Wake Forest

Wed., Dec. 1

Michigan State at Duke
Purdue at Virginia Tech
N.C. State at Wisconsin
Indiana at Boston College
Maryland at Penn State

this callangeis going to get complicated when the BIG TEN expands to 16.

Bottom 4 teams don’t play?

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:1158"]this callangeis going to get complicated when the BIG TEN expands to 16.[/quote]

Bottom 5 teams don’t play?

That lead me to anther question (COMPLETELY unrelated)…

When they expand to 16 teams, they will HAVE TO change the name of the conference, right? They will need to change the name of the TV Network, right?

What will they change it to? Sweet Sixteen? The Driver’s Liscence Conference? BIG EAST + Football?

I hope it doesn’t expand to 16. I guess we’ll get to that question if it occurs. Lets not turn this into another B10 expansion thread. ::slight_smile:

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:1158"]this callangeis going to get complicated when the BIG TEN expands to 16.[/quote]

Well, bottom 4 teams don’t play (the ACC has 12 teams, after all).

Still, wouldn’t want that to be the setup. Given the general quality of our hoops team, we’d be left out of the challenge more times than not.

[quote=“SideshowBob, post:6, topic:1158”]Well, bottom 4 teams don’t play (the ACC has 12 teams, after all).

Still, wouldn’t want that to be the setup. Given the general quality of our hoops team, we’d be left out of the challenge more times than not.[/quote]

Math fail. But yes, I agree. 4 teams that likely wouldn’t play every year: Iowa, Rutgers, Nebraska?, Penn State, some other B12 cellar teams that would join (Iowa State?). PSU would be on the ACC/B10 challenge bubble!

When they expand to 16 teams, they will HAVE TO change the name of the conference, right? They will need to change the name of the TV Network, right?

What will they change it to? Sweet Sixteen? The Driver’s Liscence Conference? BIG EAST + Football?

I’m pretty sure the name will NOT change. No reason to change it. It’s just a name. The numbers don’t have to match. Heck, right now it does match – for baseball. Maybe then it will match for Hockey.

No they don’t have to change the name of the conference (see Atlantic Ten) and they would be foolish if they did. The name Big Ten has way too much brand equity to toss it aside.

Well, bottom 4 teams don’t play (the ACC has 12 teams, after all).

Still, wouldn’t want that to be the setup. Given the general quality of our hoops team, we’d be left out of the challenge more times than not.

That wasn’t always the case when the ACC only had 9 teams. I remember a lot of BIG TEN’s better teams did not play when the ACC had 9 teams.

I’m pretty sure the name will NOT change. No reason to change it. It’s just a name. The numbers don’t have to match. Heck, right now it does match – for baseball. Maybe then it will match for Hockey.

PAC TEN changed their name. BIG 8 changed their name.

…just sayin…

It also depends on what colleges accept to become the final 5 of the conferences. If the teams that have been reported accept it would make 11 states… :slight_smile:

…just sayin…

Neither of which had the brand equity that the Big Ten does.

The Pac 8 had a history of changing its name. It’s also been known as the PCC (Pacific Coast Conference), the Big Five, the Big Six, and the Pacific 8. The Pac 8 name was officially around for ten years (1968-78) and unofficially for less than 20 (1962-78).

The Big 8 also had a history of changing its name. It was known as the Big Six, Big Seven, and Big Eight before changing to Big Twelve. The conference held the Big 8 name for about 40 years.

The Big Ten, on the other hand, has had the name for over 90 years (first reference to Big Ten was in 1917) other than a brief three year period from (1945-1947) when it was unofficially called the Big Nine (Chicago dropped out in 1945, then Michigan State joined in 1947). The other conferences just haven’t built up the brand equity of the Big Ten name.

…just sayin…

Neither of which had the brand equity that the Big Ten does.

The Pac 8 had a history of changing its name. It’s also been known as the PCC (Pacific Coast Conference), the Big Five, the Big Six, and the Pacific 8. The Pac 8 name was officially around for ten years (1968-78) and unofficially for less than 20 (1962-78).

The Big 8 also had a history of changing its name. It was known as the Big Six, Big Seven, and Big Eight before changing to Big Twelve. The conference held the Big 8 name for about 40 years.

The Big Ten, on the other hand, has had the name for over 90 years (first reference to Big Ten was in 1917) other than a brief three year period from (1945-1947) when it was unofficially called the Big Nine (Chicago dropped out in 1945, then Michigan State joined in 1947). The other conferences just haven’t built up the brand equity of the Big Ten name.

Plus, they didn’t change the name when PSU joined. And that was before the internet, HDTV, satellite radio, the BTN, and all the other things that make branding soooo much more important now than it was back then. So I really don’t see any reason to change the name now.