Big Ten - #1 Basketball Conference

Jay Bilas wrote an insider article yesterday ranking the top 10 conferences for next year. He ranked the Big Ten as #1.

With Andy Katz’ new respect for Battle and Jay Bilas’ respect for the Big Ten, looks like we should get plenty of exposure both as a team and a squad next year on ESPN.

I like Bilas! Can’t hurt.

I’m pretty sure “ESPN Exposure” is a priority category for The Selection Committee! :stuck_out_tongue:
Just kiddin…I think. :smiley:

Eric, I like your Avatar! :smiley:

I can’t remember if you used that one previously or not.

[quote=“eric17, post:1, topic:18”]Jay Bilas wrote an insider article yesterday ranking the top 10 conferences for next year. He ranked the Big Ten as #1.

With Andy Katz’ new respect for Battle and Jay Bilas’ respect for the Big Ten, looks like we should get plenty of exposure both as a team and a squad next year on ESPN.[/quote]

For those who are not Insiders, here’s a columnist from “ChicagoNow” commenting on Bilas’s article.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-college-basketball/2009/09/jay-bilas-says-big-ten-will-be-best-conference-in-2009-10.html

[quote="eric17, post:1, topic:18"]Jay Bilas wrote an [url=http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4454414&name=bilas_jay&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index%3fentryID%3d4454414%26name%3dbilas_jay]insider article[/url] yesterday ranking the top 10 conferences for next year. He ranked the Big Ten as #1.

With Andy Katz’ new respect for Battle and Jay Bilas’ respect for the Big Ten, looks like we should get plenty of exposure both as a team and a squad next year on ESPN.[/quote]

For those who are not Insiders, here’s a columnist from “ChicagoNow” commenting on Bilas’s article.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-college-basketball/2009/09/jay-bilas-says-big-ten-will-be-best-conference-in-2009-10.html

Thanks for the link. The writer certainly has a different viewpoint than Bilas. While Bilas says Iowa is much improved, this writer calls them gutted(I agree). And Bilas doesn’t even mention Iowa. How do IL and Minny get mentions by Bilas and not PSU?

With these speeds posted by T & T (or is it TNT?), PSU could drive other teams crazy if they’re both on the floor. Add in Babb draining those bombs, and this team could be give coverage headaches to Big 10 opponents. I see lots of penetration and kickouts, and lots of fast break points. One of the benefits of breaking not often mentioned, but necessary, is it cuts down on opponents crashing the boards, as they can’t effectively get back to play D. IMO, this is going to be competitive, fun season.

Stanley was faster than Battle, so even if Frazer and Battle are on the floor together, we’re slower in the back court than we were last year.

And don’t forget that Pringle led the Big Ten in 3 pt shooting last year, so I don’t see a three guard set of Battle, Frazer, and Babb being more threatening from beyond the arc than Battle, Pringle, and Morrissey were last year.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:5, topic:18"]With these speeds posted by T & T (or is it TNT?), PSU could drive other teams crazy if they're both on the floor. Add in Babb draining those bombs, and this team could be give coverage headaches to Big 10 opponents. I see lots of penetration and kickouts, and lots of fast break points. One of the benefits of breaking not often mentioned, but necessary, is it cuts down on opponents crashing the boards, as they can't effectively get back to play D. IMO, this is going to be competitive, fun season.[/quote]

Stanley was faster than Battle, so even if Frazer and Battle are on the floor together, we’re slower in the back court than we were last year.

And don’t forget that Pringle led the Big Ten in 3 pt shooting last year, so I don’t see a three guard set of Battle, Frazer, and Babb being more threatening from beyond the arc than Battle, Pringle, and Morrissey were last year.

While Stanley might have been faster than Battle, with the ball, only in straight lines. Stanley had a tendency to dribble with his head down. Great on the break, not so great in traffic. Battle much better with the ball in traffic. In the halfcourt game, Stanley rarely penetrated deeply. He usually pulled up from 15’, which was good, but rarely penetrated deep enough for kickouts. Tim looks able to penetrate deeper, finishing stronger, maybe moreso then even Battle. Solid evidence of Battle penetrating more than Stanley are the amount of FTA’s. Stanley kind of avoided contact and traffic. Talor doesn’t. On 3’s, I’m comparing Babb with Danny. He’s bigger, quicker, probably better range shooting. Not sure he’ll shoot as well. Better behind the arc overall? Probably not, but penetration better, and Battle will be the recipient of some kickouts, more than last year. Battle, Frazier and Babb will be overall quicker than last year’s three, IMO.