PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big East recruiting Philly

Article in the Philly Inq talking about how the Big East is raiding the Philly talent.

Big East a big lure for top local recruits

From the article:

“Tabbed for No. 5 Pittsburgh are Life Center Academy 6-foot-1 point guard John Johnson, Plymouth-Whitemarsh 6-7 swingman Jaylen Bond, and Academy of the New Church 7-0 center Malcolm Gilbert. ANC 6-9 power forward Rakeem Christmas is scheduled to sign with 10th-ranked Syracuse. Penn Wood 6-5 swingman Aaron Brown will sign with West Virginia, while Abington Friends 6-6 swingman Jabril Trawick will sign with No. 20 Georgetown.”

I recognize a couple of these names from Lar’s recruiting matrix but was PSU serious in the discussion for any of these guys. I think Gilbert and Christmas visited last year during the football season but I’m not sure that necesarily means they were seriously considering PSU.

I can’t help but think about the impact these kids could have in the Big10. The article states these kids want to be on TV and be in the NBA. The Big10 certainly offers the chance for both of those to be a reality. If PSU could develop even a slight reputation as a basketball school (how about 2 NCAA trips and 2 NIT appearances in 5 seasons) I think they could possibily lure a couple decent recruits from Philly.

Big East recruiting Philly

And the sun rose in the East this morning…

I think I should just cut and paste this next paragraph whenever this discussion comes up.

Growing up and playing basketball in and around Philly, we never really batted an eye toward The Big Ten. It was always Big East, Big Five and Big Two (UNC/Duke), not necessarily in that order. Though that was before PSU was in The Big Ten, I don’t believe that things have changed all that much.

Say what you want about ED and his recruiting, but PSU seems to be caught in the middle of nowhere. At least most of PSU’s games are on “national” television. Problem for them, so are MSU’s, Purdue’s, OSU’s, Illinois’, Wisconsin’s, Minnesota’s, Indiana’s, Michigan’s games.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:2, topic:1480”]From the article:

“Tabbed for No. 5 Pittsburgh are Life Center Academy 6-foot-1 point guard John Johnson, Plymouth-Whitemarsh 6-7 swingman Jaylen Bond, and Academy of the New Church 7-0 center Malcolm Gilbert. ANC 6-9 power forward Rakeem Christmas is scheduled to sign with 10th-ranked Syracuse. Penn Wood 6-5 swingman Aaron Brown will sign with West Virginia, while Abington Friends 6-6 swingman Jabril Trawick will sign with No. 20 Georgetown.”

I recognize a couple of these names from Lar’s recruiting matrix but was PSU serious in the discussion for any of these guys. I think Gilbert and Christmas visited last year during the football season but I’m not sure that necesarily means they were seriously considering PSU.

I can’t help but think about the impact these kids could have in the Big10. The article states these kids want to be on TV and be in the NBA. The Big10 certainly offers the chance for both of those to be a reality. If PSU could develop even a slight reputation as a basketball school (how about 2 NCAA trips and 2 NIT appearances in 5 seasons) I think they could possibily lure a couple decent recruits from Philly.[/quote]

Chicken meet egg.

Christmas never actually visited us. He was going to go along for the ride with his teammates but cancelled out at the last minute. I don’t think that Gilbert ever seriously considered PSU but I think teammate Savon Goodman might be serious (either that or he really likes PSU football games since he’s made two trips here during football season). He’s a big time recruit and we continue to get mentioned when the recruiting services discuss him. He’s a long shot but it’s nice to see that he is interested in the school (albeit maybe just to watch football games). One reason the trip that the Academy of New Church kids made was so important was that it got our foot in the door there. There will be a lot of good players coming through there and if the kids at New Church start to hear good things about PSU, we just might eventually have one decide to go to school here (and hopefully Goodman is that one).

Big (L)east is COOL to an east coast hooper. Has been…for a long while. All the more reason PSU has to work harder to “break thru!!”

It CAN be done!

As pointed out here by several already, Philly kids just have no time for the Big 10. It’s not bad enough the league tends to have more of a slow-down grind-out style to it for the most part, but everything having to do with it is in the middle of the country - the big east is played up and down the east coast, with the tournament in MSG every year.

To Philly kids (and well frankly, most people), NYC is the mecca of basketball and just the guarantee of getting to play there every year is a huge draw. Playing road games in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Purdue doesn’t sound like a huge selling point for a Philadelphia kid, who you’re already asking to come live in State College.

Factor in the point that we just aren’t all that good for more than once every 5 years, and there’s little reason we should hope to ever land some of these high profile Philly kids.

My thoughts about recruiting Philly changed a little bit after reading that article. I know all the top recruits want to make the NBA, but personally I didn’t really think that the Big East would get you the most prepared for the NBA. So it looks like it’s the perception that the Big East is the best, so that’s where all the best recruits are. As far as getting on TV, any team can get on TV in college basketball. If a team has an outstanding player ESPN will find some way to get that player on TV. I believe that the Big 10 is a top conference, but because of distance the kids in the Northeast may be hesitant to play in the Midwest.

I always look at our recruiting from a geographic prospective and not the conference. The state of Pennsylvania produces some good basketball talent, but we never get the best talent for basketball. I always thought that we could recruit Philly or find some coach that can. From the article it sounds like the best Philly kids won’t want to come to Penn State unless perception changes or the kids have their own personal reason to play for Penn State. I hope in the future we can do a better job at recruiting in state.

[quote=“lynkpsu, post:7, topic:1480”]My thoughts about recruiting Philly changed a little bit after reading that article. I know all the top recruits want to make the NBA, but personally I didn’t really think that the Big East would get you the most prepared for the NBA. So it looks like it’s the perception that the Big East is the best, so that’s where all the best recruits are. As far as getting on TV, any team can get on TV in college basketball. If a team has an outstanding player ESPN will find some way to get that player on TV. I believe that the Big 10 is a top conference, but because of distance the kids in the Northeast may be hesitant to play in the Midwest.

I always look at our recruiting from a geographic prospective and not the conference. The state of Pennsylvania produces some good basketball talent, but we never get the best talent for basketball. I always thought that we could recruit Philly or find some coach that can. From the article it sounds like the best Philly kids won’t want to come to Penn State unless perception changes or the kids have their own personal reason to play for Penn State. I hope in the future we can do a better job at recruiting in state.[/quote]

They won’t be on EVERY game though. If you go to a Big Ten school, almost EVERY game will be televised.

[quote="lynkpsu, post:7, topic:1480"]My thoughts about recruiting Philly changed a little bit after reading that article. I know all the top recruits want to make the NBA, but personally I didn't really think that the Big East would get you the most prepared for the NBA. So it looks like it's the perception that the Big East is the best, so that's where all the best recruits are. [b]As far as getting on TV, any team can get on TV in college basketball. [/b] If a team has an outstanding player ESPN will find some way to get that player on TV. I believe that the Big 10 is a top conference, but because of distance the kids in the Northeast may be hesitant to play in the Midwest.

I always look at our recruiting from a geographic prospective and not the conference. The state of Pennsylvania produces some good basketball talent, but we never get the best talent for basketball. I always thought that we could recruit Philly or find some coach that can. From the article it sounds like the best Philly kids won’t want to come to Penn State unless perception changes or the kids have their own personal reason to play for Penn State. I hope in the future we can do a better job at recruiting in state.[/quote]

They won’t be on EVERY game though. If you go to a Big Ten school, almost EVERY game will be televised.

And with satellite TV, anyone can get all of those games. If parents want to see their kid play 90% of his games, they should send him to a Big Ten school, not a Big East school.

BIG EAST is inner city. NYC, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh. BIG TEN is country. State College, Bloomington, Iowa, Madison, East Lancing.

BIG EAST is flash and style. Iverson, Melo, Wade, etc. BIG TEN is fundamentals. Fundamentals sell like short-shorts.

BIG EAST plays on THE channel. ESPN and the networks. The inner city kids don’t care about an off-shoot netowrk. You HAVE TO understand the mentality of these kids. It’s all about name brands. A half dozen games on ESPN is worth an entire season on BTN.

Not arguing results, just image.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:1480”]BIG EAST is inner city. NYC, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh. BIG TEN is country. State College, Bloomington, Iowa, Madison, East Lancing.

BIG EAST is flash and style. Iverson, Melo, Wade, etc. BIG TEN is fundamentals. Fundamentals sell like short-shorts.

BIG EAST plays on THE channel. ESPN and the networks. The inner city kids don’t care about an off-shoot netowrk. You HAVE TO understand the mentality of these kids. It’s all about name brands. A half dozen games on ESPN is worth an entire season on BTN.

Not arguing results, just image.[/quote]

There’s virtually no difference in the prime game coversage.

The Big Ten has 66 games televised on on of the ESPN channels plus another 26 on CBS. That’s equivalent to the Big East’s 60 games on ESPN/ESPN2 plus 30 on ESPNU/ESPN3.

The difference is the rest of the games. For the Big East, if you aren’t fortunate enough to get them syndicated on a local channel, you will have to pay $100 a season to watch them on ESPN Full Court (Full Court carries 66 Big East games).

The Big Ten Network, on the other hand, carries about 140 basketball games and is carried by 19 of the 20 largest cable companies. If you are a huge fan of a school and want to watch all of their games the Big Ten deal provides you with a far better opportunity.

Take a look at noobd fave Seton Hall

Here’s their schedule:

What do I see?

Twelve games on “SNY”. Try to get those anywhere outside of New York City.

That’s a problem that ANY Big East team will have. There will be a fair number of game that you will not be able to get outside of their home town without paying $100 for Full Court.

For example, here’s Villanova’s local only free coverage.

vs Cincy (WPVI)
at Providence (WPVI-DT2)
at Rutgers (WPHL)
at Seton Hall (WPHL)
at DePaul (WPVI)

On the other hand, Penn State fans will get to see all of PSU’s games on the Big Ten Network (other than Mississippi which we won’t be able to see because the SEC doesn’t have as good a contract as the Big Ten does - Seton Hall (see at Temple or at UMass) and Villanova (see at Penn or at Monmouth) have the same problems when they venture out of conference - and all schools also have some games that are streamed only),