PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big east football

This may be a bit far fetched, but it is possible…

If Pitt, UConn, and WV all lost today, there would be a 5-way tie for first place in the BIG EAST.

The usual tie-breaker for other conferences with more than 2 teams tied for first is that the team ranked highest in teh BCS is the CHamp.

In the case of the BIG EAST, NONE of the teams would be ranked in the BCS. It would be fun watching them try to sort it out.

Personally, I’m rooting for all 3 to lose.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:1601”]This may be a bit far fetched, but it is possible…

If Pitt, UConn, and WV all lost today, there would be a 5-way tie for first place in the BIG EAST.

The usual tie-breaker for other conferences with more than 2 teams tied for first is that the team ranked highest in teh BCS is the CHamp.

In the case of the BIG EAST, NONE of the teams would be ranked in the BCS. It would be fun watching them try to sort it out.

Personally, I’m rooting for all 3 to lose.[/quote]
That’d be awesome. I only wish the resulting solution is to take away the auto-bid and give it to a more deserving team (aka MSU, Wisky, Bama, etc). That won’t be the solution used, but the BE should have lost their auto-bid awhile ago.

It just further illustrates how bad the bowl/BCS system is.

Back in 1984 for my freshman English class at PSU we had to come up with a persuasive speech and present it to the class. At the time, BYU was headed to the “national title” where all they had to do was beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl to do so. (supposedly because Paterno had turned down the Holiday Bowl and every other bowl invitation that year because he felt the team didn’t deserve one after their 6-5 season).

Anyway, my argument was to show how Penn State, even with their 6-5 record deserved to win the “national title” that season if Michigan did in fact go on to beat BYU (which they did not) by way of the transitive property (If Team A beat Team B, Team B beat Team C and so on). I think after going through five or six games, I got to PSU “beating” BYU.

Bottom line of my speech…unless you have a playoff for college football, you will not have a true national champion. Short term gain (got an A on my speech :)) still equals long term pain (no good system to decide a college football championship 26 years later >:()

There is little meaning to post-regular season college football beyond the “national title” game. And who’s to know if Oregon/Auburn is better than TCU/Wisconsin/Ohio State/Stanford or even Boise when they don’t meet each other on the playing field (outside of Ore/Stan).

College football has the most anti-climactic ending of any sport or league in the history of sports. And unfortunately that will never change.

So bring on Oregon and Auburn losing today and the Big East ending in a 5 way tie. Oh, not to mention Ohio State and Wisconsin finishing in a mathematical deadlock in the BCS standing. I’d love to see how the BCS will weasel its way out of this latest debacle.

Let me complete the title of this thread…

“Big East Football… IS AWFUL”

I love watching Rutgers FAIL. Shuts up all the front runners who came out of nowhere during the Ray Rice era and kept flaunting the relevance of Rutgers football. Funny thing is, they were relevant for a month or two in the past few decades. Won the biggest game in their recent history, and lost the game after it. :smiley:

I’ve gone back and forth and every other direction on college football’s championship system and I think I’ve finally arrived at the one outcome I want to stick with…

You make up the 8 best conferences you can, each has two divisions and a championship game. Then each conference champion goes to the national title tournament - a 3 week event in january to crown a champion.

It’s simple and it ensures that all teams earn their way there - if you can’t win your conference you don’t deserve to play in a title game or tournament - period.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1601”]I’ve gone back and forth and every other direction on college football’s championship system and I think I’ve finally arrived at the one outcome I want to stick with…

You make up the 8 best conferences you can, each has two divisions and a championship game. Then each conference champion goes to the national title tournament - a 3 week event in january to crown a champion.

It’s simple and it ensures that all teams earn their way there - if you can’t win your conference you don’t deserve to play in a title game or tournament - period.[/quote]
The only problem is conferences are much more than just football conferences (and much more than just sports even). You can’t just change/realign every conference like that and force other teams into a conference.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1601"]I've gone back and forth and every other direction on college football's championship system and I think I've finally arrived at the one outcome I want to stick with...

It’s simple and it ensures that all teams earn their way there - if you can’t win your conference you don’t deserve to play in a title game or tournament - period.[/quote]
The only problem is conferences are much more than just football conferences (and much more than just sports even). You can’t just change/realign every conference like that and force other teams into a conference.

understood, but you’re not really changing all that much as it stands right now even. Big 10, Big East, Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Pac-10 give you six. let the other smaller conferences figure out what they’re doing to put together 2 more conferences for football.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1601"]I've gone back and forth and every other direction on college football's championship system and I think I've finally arrived at the one outcome I want to stick with...

understood, but you’re not really changing all that much as it stands right now even. Big 10, Big East, Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Pac-10 give you six. let the other smaller conferences figure out what they’re doing to put together 2 more conferences for football.

And then you have independents and conferences with different numbers of teams, the two new conferences will be overloaded with teams, and the strength of each conferance and division will not be equal without readjustment. As you can see this season, the BE does not equal the SEC or B10. So, how do you handle all of that mess without a complete overhaul of conference alignment?

And then you have independents and conferences with different numbers of teams, the two new conferences will be overloaded with teams, and the strength of each conferance and division will not be equal without readjustment. As you can see this season, the BE does not equal the SEC or B10. So, how do you handle all of that mess without a complete overhaul of conference alignment?

You don’t align your conferences based on today, you align them for the long term. If you have 8 conferences that all have an equal shot at getting to the championship, you finally have some kind of competitive balance that smaller schools can use to recruit with. Kids going to Boise and TCU and Utah all these years had to tell their recruits that even if they never lost a game in 4 years there’s probably little chance they’d ever play in a title game.

It might take some time for all the conferences to begin equaling out, and surely the traditional powers are still going to be stronger than some of the smaller schools in the system - but it’s a ridiculous notion to have 40 or so schools in a division of football that stand almost no chance of EVER playing in a national title game.

The big schools will never go for this unless forced to, I’ll grant you that much. But it’s the perfect system and it takes the least change as far as I can tell. Anything based just purely on computers and human rankings is ridiculous though - if you can’t win your conference, you should be out of the discussion. Then put conference winners against each other and we’ll have a true champion crowned for the first time ever.

All that being said - I think you’d have trouble getting some of the majors to add more teams, but it’s not a huge deal. Keep the big 4 as they will be:

Big10 with their 12 teams, SEC with their 12, Pac12, and ACC. (48 teams)

Then let the Big East keep gathering teams for football anyways (12), BigXII needs some teams again (12) - that’s up to 72 teams.

You need two more conferences - I’d ask for them to be 16 team conferences just picking up all the other guys left at that point. Assuming you could organize those (again, probably just for football purposes) - you’d cover 96 teams out of the current 120. Tell the rest to drop down to 1-a or find a conference that wants them. But chances are they won’t be any worse off forming their own league or dropping to 1-aa than they are currently, where they just live to collect paychecks from big schools.

Like I said - it’ll never happen. But it needs to.

You don’t align your conferences based on today, you align them for the long term. If you have 8 conferences that all have an equal shot at getting to the championship, you finally have some kind of competitive balance that smaller schools can use to recruit with. Kids going to Boise and TCU and Utah all these years had to tell their recruits that even if they never lost a game in 4 years there’s probably little chance they’d ever play in a title game.

It might take some time for all the conferences to begin equaling out, and surely the traditional powers are still going to be stronger than some of the smaller schools in the system - but it’s a ridiculous notion to have 40 or so schools in a division of football that stand almost no chance of EVER playing in a national title game.

The big schools will never go for this unless forced to, I’ll grant you that much. But it’s the perfect system and it takes the least change as far as I can tell. Anything based just purely on computers and human rankings is ridiculous though - if you can’t win your conference, you should be out of the discussion. Then put conference winners against each other and we’ll have a true champion crowned for the first time ever.

I never said aligning conferences based on today - the history of the teams in the Big East still does not equal that of the B10 or SEC (Uconn, Louisville, Cincy being powers in that conference? Come on, they have no history).

Your scenario WOULD call for some major changes if it was ever implemented. I once had a three-part speech on the BCS vs. a playoff system in CFB. My third speech offered a possible solution that called for very little, if any change. I’ll look in my notes and try to find it, because I can’t remember it exactly.