PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big Basketball Recruiting Weekend

I don’t if it would be even remotely possible, but it would be cool if we could have some alums here this weekend like Meech and Booth.

One name I haven’t seen in this thread is LEWIS PRESTON. No doubt his hiring by ED has raised eyebrows around the BFG community, and we are beginning to see the dividends with blue-chip BFGs seriously considering us and visiting campus.

I can’t believe I missed this thread…This is the weekend we’ve all been waiting for! A weekend where our basketball recruits are just as impressive (if not more impressive) than the football recruits…

This is the biggest sign of our program on the rise, to date, in my opinion…

Here’s hoping for a great weekend!

Has nothing to do with Preston. Rather some hard work by Dan Earl and the success of Battle & Co.

[quote=“Slash, post:23, topic:181”]I can’t believe I missed this thread…This is the weekend we’ve all been waiting for! A weekend where our basketball recruits are just as impressive (if not more impressive) than the football recruits…

This is the biggest sign of our program on the rise, to date, in my opinion…

Here’s hoping for a great weekend![/quote]

Success helps in the recruiting field. I wonder if we would have gotten looks from these types of kids if we went 1 and done in the tourney. If we land one of these guys, you can officially say ED has completely turned psu hoops around.

Can anybody say tipping point?

[quote="Mrm170, post:16, topic:181"]I'm flying in for the game this weekend and the tickets I will be using are only a few rows from where ED and staff sit with their recruits....I'll try to sneak some pics of the recruits, if possible.[/quote]

It’s GM seating on Friday so I guess you’ll just have to get to the BJC early to claim those seats, unless you were talking about your seats in the Beav. :slight_smile:

Cappy, yes meant Beaver Stadium…not getting in to State College until late Friday night

[quote="NationBuilder, post:22, topic:181"]One name I haven't seen in this thread is LEWIS PRESTON. No doubt his hiring by ED has raised eyebrows around the BFG community, and we are beginning to see the dividends with blue-chip BFGs seriously considering us and visiting campus.[/quote]

Has nothing to do with Preston. Rather some hard work by Dan Earl and the success of Battle & Co.

I don’t doubt all the coaches had a role, but you don’t think Preston, who has a nice history of recruiting/developing BFGs, had a hand in this process?

[quote="NationBuilder, post:22, topic:181"]One name I haven't seen in this thread is LEWIS PRESTON. No doubt his hiring by ED has raised eyebrows around the BFG community, and we are beginning to see the dividends with blue-chip BFGs seriously considering us and visiting campus.[/quote]

I don’t doubt all the coaches had a role, but you don’t think Preston, who has a nice history of recruiting/developing BFGs, had a hand in this process?

Perhaps indirectly, as in big men are interested in PSU because he is their position coach. But if someone else is lead recruiter, I doubt he played much of a direct roll. Although maybe he had a conversation or two with some of them well after initial contact was made and mutual interest was determined. Who knows, at this point I’m just making stuff up.

Just a few thoughts:

I dont think anybody has brought this up but Malcolm Gilbert,Rakeem Christmas, and Savon Goodman all go to the same High School and play for the same team already.

Gilbert shows interest in more academic based schools. Delaware, Rutgers, GT, and now us. If he feels that he blends well here and can get the education he wants he might find Penn State to be pretty much what he is looking for. After he folds, then that puts pressure on Christmas to make up his mind. Similar to King and Williams with football. I’m not saying this will happen, but I think the combination of Gilberts focus on his schooling as well as basketball could help us grab Christmas as well as maybe push somebody like Hubert our way as well.

[quote=“NGameday, post:30, topic:181”]Just a few thoughts:

I dont think anybody has brought this up but Malcolm Gilbert,Rakeem Christmas, and Savon Goodman all go to the same High School and play for the same team already.

Gilbert shows interest in more academic based schools. Delaware, Rutgers, GT, and now us. If he feels that he blends well here and can get the education he wants he might find Penn State to be pretty much what he is looking for. After he folds, then that puts pressure on Christmas to make up his mind. Similar to King and Williams with football. I’m not saying this will happen, but I think the combination of Gilberts focus on his schooling as well as basketball could help us grab Christmas as well as maybe push somebody like Hubert our way as well.[/quote]

Christmas is just coming along for the ride (although he certainly could like what he sees and decides to add us to his list of schools). There are also two other Academy kids who we are also recruiting that are making the trip - Goodman’s brother Marcus, a 6’2" sophomore shooting guard, and Miles Overton, a 6’3" freshman shooting guard who is the son of former NBAer and current Nets assistant Doug Overton (played at LaSalle, coached at St Joe’s under Martelli).

Very good article on BWI by Nate Bauer

DeChellis welcomes host of top recruits this weekend.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:32, topic:181”]Very good article on BWI by Nate Bauer

DeChellis welcomes host of top recruits this weekend.[/quote]

May be very good, if you pay the $$$$$ to subscribe to BWI. :slight_smile:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:32, topic:181”]Very good article on BWI by Nate Bauer

DeChellis welcomes host of top recruits this weekend.[/quote]

Darn, wish it wasn’t a pay article. I’m hoping that after the weekend there will be some good articles written with comments from the recruits themselves (and hopefully for free).

Another recruit coming this weekend from South Fayette (per Scout): Mike Lamberti

Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not… my buddy on another board just told me this:

craftsy, alex murphy will be at psu this weekend

one of, if not the best, player in new england for 2012

Sorry if shared already, i skimmed and didn’t see the name mentioned in here.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:36, topic:181”]Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not… my buddy on another board just told me this:

[quote]craftsy, alex murphy will be at psu this weekend

one of, if not the best, player in new england for 2012[/quote]

Sorry if shared already, i skimmed and didn’t see the name mentioned in here.[/quote]

Good news! 6’8" 3-star SF on Scout and a not-rated PF on Rivals

Another recruit coming according to Rivals: Jabrille Williams

Is this the entire guest list?:

[ul][li]Taran Buie - 2010 - G - State College[/li][li]Jabrille Williams - 2010 - G/F - Stamford, CT, King Low Heywood Thomas[/li][li]Trey Burke - 2011 - PG 5-11, 160 - Columbus Northland[/li][li]Desmond Hubert - 2011 - F/C - 6-8, 195 - Cream Ridge, NJ, New Egypt[/li][li]Rakeem Christmas - 2011 - F - 6-8, 200 - Philadelphia, Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Malcolm Gilbert - 2011 - C - 6-10, 210 - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Amile Jefferson - 2012 - F - 6-6, 170 - Philadelphia Friends Central School[/li][li]Mike Lamberti - 2012 - SG - McDonald, PA, South Fayette HS[/li] [li]Savon Goodman - 2012 - G/F - 6-5, 190 - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Alex Murphy - 2012 - PF 6-8 - South Kingston, RI, St. Mark’s[/li][li]Marcus Gilbert - 2012 - G 6-2 - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Miles Overton - 2013 - SG 6’3" - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][/ul]

Missing anyone?

[quote=“tjb, post:39, topic:181”]Is this the entire guest list?:

[ul][li]Taran Buie - 2010 - G - State College[/li][li]Jabrille Williams - 2010 - G/F - Stamford, CT, King Low Heywood Thomas[/li][li]Trey Burke - 2011 - PG 5-11, 160 - Columbus Northland[/li][li]Desmond Hubert - 2011 - F/C - 6-8, 195 - Cream Ridge, NJ, New Egypt[/li][li]Rakeem Christmas - 2011 - F - 6-8, 200 - Philadelphia, Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Malcolm Gilbert - 2011 - C - 6-10, 210 - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Amile Jefferson - 2012 - F - 6-6, 170 - Philadelphia Friends Central School[/li][li]Mike Lamberti - 2012 - SG - McDonald, PA, South Fayette HS[/li] [li]Savon Goodman - 2012 - G/F - 6-5, 190 - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][li]Alex Murphy - 2012 - PF 6-8 - South Kingston, RI, St. Mark’s[/li][li]Miles Overton - 2013 - SG 6’3" - Philadelphia Academy of the New Church[/li][/ul]

Missing anyone?[/quote]

Marcus Gilbert - Malcom’s brother