PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Big 10 coaching changes - consolidated thread

It was inevitable, but I hope Bruce can find a good job.

He deserved to be fired.

Who is the next Big10 head coach headed to the hot seat ? Tubby ?

I hope they get Shaka. Great coaches = great league.

Doc Sadler is as good as gone.

Personally, I think this is Carmody’s last season at Northwestern if they don’t get invited to the big dance.

I think that Northwestern, like Penn State, is a different animal.

Relatively speaking, NWstern has had some pretty good seasons recently, compared to their overall history. I cna’t see them letting go of the guy who has had them moving forward in the way they have. It’s not like Carmody has “lost” his team, like Weber.

Who is the next Big10 head coach headed to the hot seat ? Tubby ?

Doc Sadler is as good as gone.

Good call. Not sure how I forgot about Doc !

[quote=“TreysWay3, post:3, topic:3165”]Who is the next Big10 head coach headed to the hot seat ? Tubby ?[/quote]Tubby’s is probably a little warm, but losing his best player to injury will get him off of the hook this year. If he doesn’t make the tourney again next year it’ll get a lot warmer.

Personally, I think this is Carmody's last season at Northwestern if they don't get invited to the big dance.

I think that Northwestern, like Penn State, is a different animal.

Relatively speaking, NWstern has had some pretty good seasons recently, compared to their overall history. I cna’t see them letting go of the guy who has had them moving forward in the way they have. It’s not like Carmody has “lost” his team, like Weber.

IMO, no NCAA appearances in 12 years is time to go. I know they’ve never made it, but that should be the standard for the program. To get there. If he can’t get there in over a decade it’s time to try someone else.

We need a quick 4 yr rolling average graph for Carmody’s career!

I don’t think he is in trouble, but he may be next year. I think that they lose Shurna, Mirkovic and Curletti. i.e. all of their “bigs”. For a team that is awful rebounding to lose all of their bigs in one season doesn’t bode well for next year. They aren’t in a position to reload their bigs like MSU, tOSU, etc.

I am sorry that Bruce got canned. He wasn’t a phony. That counts for something.

I was a big Bruce fan. Sorry to see him go.

Sorry to see Bruce go but the Big Ten is brutal so good but not great coaches are going to get fired. I think Bruce should take a season or two off, maybe do some TV and then come back at nice mid-major that he could have a nice 6 to 8 year run as a successful head coach.

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:15, topic:3165”]Sorry to see Bruce go but the Big Ten is brutal so good but not great coaches are going to get fired. I think Bruce should take a season or two off, maybe do some TV and then come back at nice mid-major that he could have a nice 6 to 8 year run as a successful head coach.[/quote]Maybe he can take a year or 2 off and then come back as the HC of Navy ? :wink: I kid I kid

It certainly does Tim. Thanks for the kind words.

Never easy when a man like Weber loses his job, but that is the nature of the business.

Just scouring the Illini boards, I came across this beauty of a post.

I'd take a Bruce Weber, clean program, and no national championship over Calipari, dirty program, and a national...oh wait he doesn't have one does he!

Thanks Bruce for being one of the good guys.

I wholeheartedly echo that poster’s sentiments. Thanks Bruce for being one of the good guys.

I am sorry that Bruce got canned. He wasn't a phony. That counts for something.

I also liked him, but in my opinion there wasn’t much of a choice. I thought he was still recruiting pretty well (not up to Self’s standard that he set, but still pretty good), but he completely lost this team. A team with Leonard, Paul, and Richardson should not have been this bad, and the team showed little fight down the stretch. I thought Illinois fans were way too hard on him through the years, but this team underachieved as much as any team that I can ever remember in the Big Ten. He’s a good guy, and I’m sure will land at some mid-major and be successful once again.

Sometimes this business isn’t fair. Bruce pretty much fell on the sword when his team was underachieving, and the players still didn’t play to their potential. Pat Knight goes out and publicly rips his players, and they rally to play in the Southland title game tomorrow.

[quote="tjb, post:13, topic:3165"]I am sorry that Bruce got canned. He wasn't a phony. That counts for something.[/quote]

I also liked him, but in my opinion there wasn’t much of a choice. I thought he was still recruiting pretty well (not up to Self’s standard that he set, but still pretty good), but he completely lost this team. A team with Leonard, Paul, and Richardson should not have been this bad, and the team showed little fight down the stretch. I thought Illinois fans were way too hard on him through the years, but this team underachieved as much as any team that I can ever remember in the Big Ten. He’s a good guy, and I’m sure will land at some mid-major and be successful once again.

Sometimes this business isn’t fair. Bruce pretty much fell on the sword when his team was underachieving, and the players still didn’t play to their potential. Pat Knight goes out and publicly rips his players, and they rally to play in the Southland title game tomorrow.

I get you can make the argument that losing a team is a capital offense, but I wonder whether it should be.

If Illinois’ AD said, “This team was a mess, but I know this guy and he can coach so something else must be going on”, I would count myself an admirer.

[quote="tjb, post:13, topic:3165"]I am sorry that Bruce got canned. He wasn't a phony. That counts for something.[/quote]

Wouldn’t that give Illini fans reason to voice their concerns? :-\