Best part about tonights win vs. Michigan was Frazier

Frazier played a lot of minutes and you can see his confidence improving. I expected this to be a difficult year, but I was looking forward to seeing the freshmen develop.

Borovnjak hasn’t played and Edwards got hurt - ugh!

Frazier made several freshman mistakes tonight. I understand why Ed pulled him to settle him down, but IMO he should have gone right back into the game. Battle was out of gas and PSU couldn’t create anything on offense without Frazier.

I can tolerate the freshman mistakes. The only problem I have is that Frazier refuses to take perimeter shots. If he can’t get the whole way to the basket he goes into bailout mode. Defenders are going to give him a step because of his quickness. He would be great if he could beat a guy with his quick first step, then pull up for a 15’ jumper. Let’s hope that he works on that over the summer.

As we all know, I am not an Ed fan, but IF they had lost this one, it wouldn’t be on Ed. The mistakes and turnovers were all on the players. They moved the ball very well and actually had an offensive scheme that had been missing this year. Congrats to the players for a terrific effort.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:867”]Frazier played a lot of minutes and you can see his confidence improving. I expected this to be a difficult year, but I was looking forward to seeing the freshmen develop.

Frazier made several freshman mistakes tonight. I understand why Ed pulled him to settle him down, but IMO he should have gone right back into the game. Battle was out of gas and PSU couldn’t create anything on offense without Frazier.

I can tolerate the freshman mistakes. The only problem I have is that Frazier refuses to take perimeter shots. If he can’t get the whole way to the basket he goes into bailout mode. Defenders are going to give him a step because of his quickness. He would be great if he could beat a guy with his quick first step, then pull up for a 15’ jumper. Let’s hope that he works on that over the summer.[/quote]
Remember Mel didn’t have a 3 ball before the Sr season. He can work on that part of his game. And personally I really don’t mind the lack of an outside game. He is deadly driving. If he gets his FT % greater than 85% that is as good as a perimeter game.

Frazier played great and I don’t want to take away from that but Brooks was the man tonight. He was rebounding like Ed was holding a gun to his while whispering “Two Hands”.

We’ve known this all year that this team is only going to go as far as our big can take us. Talor is going to do his thing but having a post presence keeps the defense from cheating out on the shooters. It’s too bad that it has taken this long into the season for Brooks and Jones to realize this and part of it was the soft competition in OOC.

[quote=“bdroc, post:1, topic:867”]Frazier played a lot of minutes and you can see his confidence improving. I expected this to be a difficult year, but I was looking forward to seeing the freshmen develop.

I can tolerate the freshman mistakes. The only problem I have is that Frazier refuses to take perimeter shots. If he can’t get the whole way to the basket he goes into bailout mode. Defenders are going to give him a step because of his quickness. He would be great if he could beat a guy with his quick first step, then pull up for a 15’ jumper. Let’s hope that he works on that over the summer.[/quote]

I agree. Frazier is a major player on this team. He got two fouls double teaming Sims, and may have been a reason Sims couldn’t get going. It’s also obvious, that as well as Babb shoots, he cannot penetrate, so Tim has to be in there. Teams put their toughest, freshest legs on Talor, and this works when Tim’s not in. When he’s in, he blows by his cover and defenses break down. He made a few mistakes…so what. He changes the game. On his perimeter, he must not have any confidence, so at this point, no sense shooting them. Yes, summer work will help. And that’s a big part of Buie’s game. Next year, if they have Tim, Talor and Taran(the three T’s) on the floor, no team will be able to stay with those 3.

[quote=“byake, post:4, topic:867”]Frazier played great and I don’t want to take away from that but Brooks was the man tonight. He was rebounding like Ed was holding a gun to his while whispering “Two Hands”.

We’ve known this all year that this team is only going to go as far as our big can take us. Talor is going to do his thing but having a post presence keeps the defense from cheating out on the shooters. It’s too bad that it has taken this long into the season for Brooks and Jones to realize this and part of it was the soft competition in OOC.[/quote]

That’s true and I’m really glad they won tonight. Unfortunately, each of the last 3 seasons Jones, Brooks, and Jackson have not played well until the last few games. Jackson has been an exception to that pattern this year. It’s been very disappointing that it takes so much of the season for those guys to hit their stride.

[quote="bdroc, post:1, topic:867"]Frazier played a lot of minutes and you can see his confidence improving. I expected this to be a difficult year, but I was looking forward to seeing the freshmen develop.

Remember Mel didn’t have a 3 ball before the Sr season. He can work on that part of his game. And personally I really don’t mind the lack of an outside game. He is deadly driving. If he gets his FT % greater than 85% that is as good as a perimeter game.

But Mel wasn’t a guard.

[quote=“byake, post:4, topic:867”]Frazier played great and I don’t want to take away from that but Brooks was the man tonight. He was rebounding like Ed was holding a gun to his while whispering “Two Hands”.

We’ve known this all year that this team is only going to go as far as our big can take us. Talor is going to do his thing but having a post presence keeps the defense from cheating out on the shooters. It’s too bad that it has taken this long into the season for Brooks and Jones to realize this and part of it was the soft competition in OOC.[/quote]

Nice to see Brooks make a key shot late but I just can’t share the love for his game. He had 4 rebounds tonight, not great for a player with his size and athleticism. Frazier had 4 rebounds even though he played 7 fewer minutes. Brooks’ defense is pretty bad too. Good thing Michigan missed wide open 3s when he was slow to pop out.

PSU must have lost 6 points tonight when Ott/Jones/Brooks couldn’t handle the entry pass on pick and roll plays. Twice when they did catch it they were called for traveling. They’re just not very strong under the basket.

[quote="bdroc, post:1, topic:867"]Frazier played a lot of minutes and you can see his confidence improving. I expected this to be a difficult year, but I was looking forward to seeing the freshmen develop.

But Mel wasn’t a guard.

There are lots of guards who aren’t long range shooters. There aren’t a lot of guards with Frazier’s speed or leaping ability. He can develop a 3 point range shot.

[quote="byake, post:4, topic:867"]Frazier played great and I don't want to take away from that but Brooks was the man tonight. He was rebounding like Ed was holding a gun to his while whispering "Two Hands".

Nice to see Brooks make a key shot late but I just can’t share the love for his game. He had 4 rebounds tonight, not great for a player with his size and athleticism. Frazier had 4 rebounds even though he played 7 fewer minutes. Brooks’ defense is pretty bad too. Good thing Michigan missed wide open 3s when he was slow to pop out.

PSU must have lost 6 points tonight when Ott/Jones/Brooks couldn’t handle the entry pass on pick and roll plays. Twice when they did catch it they were called for traveling. They’re just not very strong under the basket.

True but by the same logic how many trips to the line did we miss out on due to the poor officiating tonight. Normally I’m pretty even keel in terms of officiating but tonight was bad.

I don’t think it was ED’s fault we lost the first Michigan game. In fact, I think if we win that game, we win several more. I give ED all the credit in the world for holding this team together when a lot of coaches could have easily lost his players for the season. I think that will help this team next year. That and adding Buie and Marshall along with a more polished Frazier and Edwards. We’ll be fine despite what I used to read here all the time before I rediscovered the ignore button.

But Mel wasn’t a guard.

There are lots of guards who aren’t long range shooters. There aren’t a lot of guards with Frazier’s speed or leaping ability. He can develop a 3 point range shot.

I don’t really call a 15’ jumper a long range shot. I like some of the things Frazier can do but for him to be a really good player the kid has to learn how to shoot, and hopefully before his senior season.

But Mel wasn’t a guard.

I don’t really call a 15’ jumper a long range shot. I like some of the things Frazier can do but for him to be a really good player the kid has to learn how to shoot, and hopefully before his senior season.

Your right, a foul line shot is hardly a long range shot. I look forward to Frazier developing that “mid range” shot.

[quote="hoopla, post:2, topic:867"]As we all know, I am not an Ed fan, but IF they had lost this one, it wouldn't be on Ed. The mistakes and turnovers were all on the players. They moved the ball very well and actually had an offensive scheme that had been missing this year. Congrats to the players for a terrific effort.[/quote]

I don’t think it was ED’s fault we lost the first Michigan game. In fact, I think if we win that game, we win several more. I give ED all the credit in the world for holding this team together when a lot of coaches could have easily lost his players for the season. I think that will help this team next year. That and adding Buie and Marshall along with a more polished Frazier and Edwards. We’ll be fine despite what I used to read here all the time before I rediscovered the ignore button.

Well I certainly think they played better last night, but I disagree about next year. Winning a couple of games against the lower half of the B10 is nice, but it doesn’t mean we can compete for the NCAA tourney. The fact that we might improve a bit next year goes without question, but the rest of the B10 seems to be recruiting better than ever. Those facts will keep us in the lower tier.

Frazier played his best BigTen11 game. Congrats to him!

Frazier needs to be a heady ball handler right now, and next year too. He doesn’t need a reliable 3pt shot yet. I’d be more than happy with him just cutting down on his mistakes (that’ll come with experience) and being that reliable ball handler.

I agree he doesn’t need to be a three point scorer now or next year. However, he does need to be able to score in the mid range. Because he is not confident in his shot some of his turnovers are a result of driving and having nowhere to go with the ball. He needs to have the confidence in his mid-range jumper to a) be a better player himself; b)create more for his teammates.

I just finished watching the game (wasn’t home last night). I was very impressed by Babb’s hustle. That hustle save on the baseline that led to a Battle bucket was awesome. And he made two other big plays down the stretch that helped preserve the win. Also impressed that we don’t have to count on Battle to score 20+ to have a chance. Looks like the team is finally coming together. It’s a shame this season will still go down as a bad season due to the final record (unless we can run the Big Ten tourney). I think this team has played well and has shown a lot of heart.

Big Ten Geeks noted that Frazier led the team in plus/minus (+9) for the game.

Lions’ Frazier finding niche

http://www.centredaily.com/2010/02/23/1810069/lions-frazier-finding-niche.html

Freshman Frazier adjusts to college through roadtrips

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/23/freshman_frazier_adjusts_to_co.aspx