PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Best dunk ever?

Mitchell Watt at Buffalo’s Midnight Madness dunk contest.

Certainly the most imaginative one that I’ve seen in a long time.

[flash=200,200]http://video.yahoo.com/watch/8435239/22525887[/flash]

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1410”]Mitchell Watt at Buffalo’s Midnight Madness dunk contest.

[flash=200,200]http://video.yahoo.com/watch/8435239/22525887[/flash][/quote]

Thanks Lar… Great to see a fine program like Buffalo has a Midnight Madness showcase when Penn State Doesn’t :-[

Cool stuff, but I’ve seen it a dozen or so times before… most of which from the same 2 guys.

A couple of guys that used to be on the track and field team at PSU used to play ball at the IM building semi-frequently and were pretty decent players, but mostly just had fun jumping down the throats of everybody on the court - blocking shots, throwing alley-oops and hammering home fast breaks on top of unsuspecting opponents. They were both white, I should add, and probably around 6’2" or so I’d say. I also want to say that at least one of them was an all-american at some point, but I can’t remember that for sure - i just know my friend’s sister was buddies with them, whatever that meant at the time.

ANYHOW…

They were both great at doing this and would do it from the three point line or farther out sometimes. It was an incredible skill to be able to rainbow it that perfectly from 20 feet out, but then to go up and be able to tomahawk or reverse dunk it also just showed top to bottom skills of an all around great athlete. It was very cool, they always blew me away with the things they did but that was the best one they used to do between games.

I also believe I saw this in either and And1 mixtape back in the day, or a youtube video of a competition somewhere along the line. It’s a good dunk, I think it’d blow people away at an NBA contest just because it hasn’t been seen there… but it’s not too tough for anybody with some foot skills and a vertical, which is most basketball players. :slight_smile:

Former soccer player?

Plans are already in the works for next year.

I would vote for misspent youth playing lots and lots of hacky sack.

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1410"]Mitchell Watt at Buffalo's Midnight Madness dunk contest.

[flash=200,200]http://video.yahoo.com/watch/8435239/22525887[/flash][/quote]

Thanks Lar… Great to see a fine program like Buffalo has a Midnight Madness showcase when Penn State Doesn’t :-[

For the record, even very healthy programs don’t all go along with the MM deal. There was some interesting discussion on it from Jim Boeheim and Brad Stevens this week, summed up here in this little blog post from CBN on espn:

Boeheim not a fan of Midnight Madness October, 18, 2010 OCT 18 2:59 PM ET EmailPrintComments By Eamonn Brennan (Fair warning: This is the last post I'll write about this weekend's Midnight Madness festivities. Probably.)

This weekend, Butler coach Brad Stevens chose to eschew Midnight Madness altogether, instead taking his team to Franklin, Ind., for a two-day minicamp retreat. As someone who thoroughly loves Midnight Madness, this kind of attitude is kind of a bummer. What’s wrong with a little mindless fun?

But it’s also understandable: If you’re more serious about improving the on-court product than marketing it, then Midnight Madness is a waste of a practice. Will that waste sink your season? No. But the attitude is what really matters.

It’s no surprise, then, that Stevens isn’t the only coach with antipathy toward the enterprise. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim also counts himself among the Madness-haters:
“We don’t bring kids [recruits] in, not usually,” Boeheim said. “I’m not a big proponent of Midnight Madness. I don’t like it. I never have. It’s a wasted day, and I’m not a big fan of it. We do it, the players like it a little bit, the fans like it, but I’m not a big fan of it.”

Matt Norlander, who landed the interview with Boeheim, said the coach sounded “defeated” when he gave this quote, and that sounds perfectly appropriate. You can see why Boeheim would find the whole process exhausting. It chips away at the beginning of practice, it promotes a cardinal atmosphere, and when you’re the type of personality required of a legendary basketball coach – dominated by the notion that every moment is an opportunity to get better – Midnight Madness must feel like a grotesque waste.

But, hey, guess what? We love it! So just go with it, OK? Thanks.

[quote="the man behind the mask, post:2, topic:1410"]Thanks Lar.... Great to see a fine program like Buffalo has a Midnight Madness showcase when Penn State Doesn't :-[[/quote]

Plans are already in the works for next year.

I know… we’ve done it before. But still…