Benched Jones finds support

collegian.psu.edu story

Also: collegian.psu.edu: Lions creating points off defense

Glad to hear Cornley offered support via Facebook. Who knew? ;D

As usual, I couldn’t watch the game on Tuesday, so I listened to Steve and Dick. There were several instances when Andrew Jones was in the game that Dick remarked that Illinois wasn’t guarding him which means they were probably double teaming the ball and daring PSU to throw the ball to Andrew.

Andrew’s lack of point production seems to stem from the fact that he’s not aggressive with the ball. His lack of rebounding seems to stem from the fact that he’s not aggressive on the boards. His lack of playing time stems from the fact that when he is aggressive on defense, he picks up two quick fouls and he’s riding the pines. Until he solves these issues, AO will get the majority of the minutes.

Oh I don’t know Santini. I don’t think Andrew lacks aggressiveness. I not sure exactly what you mean by the word but I equate it with hustle. I believe Andrew is a "hustle guy."
Offense - Well Andrew is just not a good offensive player. Basically it is footwork. But it is also many other little things. While the inside/mid range game came natural to Mel. It is “foreign” to Andrew. It will take time. But progress is sometimes slow in this venue.
Defense - I think Andrew tries his heart out. Again he is not quite a “natural” basketball player. He is NOT able to “play fast but don’t hurry.” Thus he over reacts, over reads and creates bad fouls. etc etc
Summary - We all know Andrew got a late start in basketball. He is progressing BUT progress in a tough league against top players is not always a straight upward line. Expectations are a funny thing. Some kids are burdened with expectations and thus try too hard and don’t play relaxed. At the end of Andrew’s PSU career he will be in the high upper top half of scholorship big guys at PSU. I think people are judging him unfairly based on over stated expectations.

I somewhat agree with what you spew tundra. A lot of expectation has been thrown AJ’s way and he just hasn’t played up to those expectations.

I really feel that if ED sticks with Ott as his starter at the 5 that this could be a good thing for Jones if he accepts his role off the bench. The expectations can then be lowered a little and any energy and production he can give off the bench (possibly against backup centers) would be a bonus.

I’m not as worried about Jones as I am with Brooks. To me it’s always seemed that kids who don’t have the god given abilities to play a particular sport are the one’s who work the hardest at their craft to raise their game. Whereas, those who have been blessed with the talent sometimes look to get by on talent alone. I don’t want to paint Brooks in that light, but it’s just been my feeling all along that Jones is the former case with Brooks being the latter.

Good point illni. I am also concerned about how Brooks will handle things.
In talking about bigs. I want to mention Gary McGhee at ~itt. He is a junior this season and has done well. Big strong 6-10. BUT prior to this season he was the “ultimate stiff.” Many ~itters were calling for the removal of his ship. The improvement I have seen of McGhee over the last 2 summers (public summer league) has been very steady.
Bigs sometimes “just take time.” Some take more time than others.

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:648”]Oh I don’t know Santini. I don’t think Andrew lacks aggressiveness. I not sure exactly what you mean by the word but I equate it with hustle. I believe Andrew is a "hustle guy."
Offense - Well Andrew is just not a good offensive player. Basically it is footwork. But it is also many other little things. While the inside/mid range game came natural to Mel. It is “foreign” to Andrew. It will take time. But progress is sometimes slow in this venue.
Defense - I think Andrew tries his heart out. Again he is not quite a “natural” basketball player. He is NOT able to “play fast but don’t hurry.” Thus he over reacts, over reads and creates bad fouls. etc etc
Summary - We all know Andrew got a late start in basketball. He is progressing BUT progress in a tough league against top players is not always a straight upward line. Expectations are a funny thing. Some kids are burdened with expectations and thus try too hard and don’t play relaxed. At the end of Andrew’s PSU career he will be in the high upper top half of scholorship big guys at PSU. I think people are judging him unfairly based on over stated expectations. [/quote]

Agree on the footwork. Kind of makes you wonder what Lewis Preston is doing there. This is exactly what they teach in big men camps. One thing I notice is the pivot foot he uses. Pete Newell, who founded and ran the Big Man Camps, which were attended by pros and college players, said that your closer to the basket foot should be your pivot foot and you should work to get an inside shot. AJ almost never does this. When he gets the ball, he pivots away, and takes little jump shots. Fundamentally, not good. But not hard to teach, so not sure why it hasn’t been fixed. It’s basically the difference between going up strong vs. defender vs. backing away to create space. Need to do the former, AJ does the latter.

NI- agree on Brooks. IMO, he could help inside with his athleticism, but doesn’t seem to want to. If you look at his screens he set the other night, I’d have sat him just on the poor quality of those. IMO, screens should be good enough, that they can lead (if desired) to a pick 'n roll. Good, solid picks that create major space and time for a teammate. It’s a waste of time setting screens guys can just run around with little effort. The whole offense breaks down when this happens.