PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Be Happy

;D I guess I can only speak for myself BUT I am overjoyed with our coaching vacancy. I think it gives PSU a chance to expand the program in a number of ways. At this point “having a chance” is huge news by PSU standards. I have seen nothing in the search that has lessened my happiness. I was not a Larry Brown fan. In fact (besides Brown) I see very little confirmed news. This is fine. I don’t want a “reality TV” search.

So…Maybe I am rambling a little BUT I am just trying to encourage all PSU fans to “lighten up” a little in all threads and try to enjoy the moment.
Hope and higher expectations rule the day…
Let’s worry about reality later!! :slight_smile: To borrow a phase…“Don’t worry, be happy!” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m happy about it too Tundra. It seems like a great opportunity to get this thing right. I’d be thrilled with Chambers or Jeter as PSU coach. However, I also see some names that scare the crap out of me, and look like potentially even worse ideas than Dunn or DeChellis. PSU connections should be out the window on this one

I’ll say again my personal favorite would be Chambers. He’s a probable future Big East coach if we don’t get him first. Even though he’s relatively unrpoven, I’d open up the wallet a bit to get him here, $1-$1.1M - which would still be low among Big Ten coaches but more than we paid DeChellis.

[quote=“psuarva, post:2, topic:2434”]I’m happy about it too Tundra. It seems like a great opportunity to get this thing right. I’d be thrilled with Chambers or Jeter as PSU coach. However, I also see some names that scare the crap out of me, and look like potentially even worse ideas than Dunn or DeChellis. PSU connections should be out the window on this one

I’ll say again my personal favorite would be Chambers. He’s a probable future Big East coach if we don’t get him first. Even though he’s relatively unrpoven, I’d open up the wallet a bit to get him here, $1-$1.1M - which would still be low among Big Ten coaches but more than we paid DeChellis.[/quote]

If you don’t mind my asking, what names have you seen that scare the crap out of you?

[quote="psuarva, post:2, topic:2434"]I'm happy about it too Tundra. It seems like a great opportunity to get this thing right. I'd be thrilled with Chambers or Jeter as PSU coach. However, I also see some names that scare the crap out of me, and look like potentially even worse ideas than Dunn or DeChellis. PSU connections should be out the window on this one

I’ll say again my personal favorite would be Chambers. He’s a probable future Big East coach if we don’t get him first. Even though he’s relatively unrpoven, I’d open up the wallet a bit to get him here, $1-$1.1M - which would still be low among Big Ten coaches but more than we paid DeChellis.[/quote]

If you don’t mind my asking, what names have you seen that scare the crap out of you?

Pera, because nothing indicates that he deserves a high level head coaching job right now. I fear he is only being considered because he graduated from Penn State, and for no other reason. Lebo, who is already off the list, but was apparently considered.

Don’t get me wrong, Pera may be a great coach. But I think his next stop needs to be head coach at Cal-State Fullerton or something like that. He is the second assistant at ASU and his previous career was a high school coach. A jump to the Big Ten seems absurd.

[quote="psuarva, post:2, topic:2434"]I'm happy about it too Tundra. It seems like a great opportunity to get this thing right. I'd be thrilled with Chambers or Jeter as PSU coach. However, I also see some names that scare the crap out of me, and look like potentially even worse ideas than Dunn or DeChellis. PSU connections should be out the window on this one

Pera, because nothing indicates that he deserves a high level head coaching job right now. I fear he is only being considered because he graduated from Penn State, and for no other reason. Lebo, who is already off the list, but was apparently considered.

Don’t get me wrong, Pera may be a great coach. But I think his next stop needs to be head coach at Cal-State Fullerton or something like that. He is the second assistant at ASU and his previous career was a high school coach. A jump to the Big Ten seems absurd.

I would add Bruiser Flint to the “scares the crap outta me” list. 4 NITs in 10 years at Drexel? Never a postseason victory or a NCAA birth? I just really don’t think his resume is what we should be hiring, at all.

I would add Bruiser Flint to the “scares the crap outta me” list. 4 NITs in 10 years at Drexel? Never a postseason victory or a NCAA birth? I just really don’t think his resume is what we should be hiring, at all.

agreed. I don’t think Flint is someone we should consider very strongly. But at least he has made it beyond the assistant level.

I was just checking out Flint’s recent recruiting. Some people I have seen on other boards give him a lot of credit for having Philly connections - he only has ONE recruit on the roster from even near Philly! ED can compete with that Philly pipeline…

I agree with both on the scare the crap names. Bruiser flint would be like hiring Tommy Amaker, he is good at the level he is at but I can’t see him making PSU better then what the last 8 years have been. Pera would give fans a total Dechellis flashback and it would probably be very ugly reaction.

With the combination of Bruiser’s bench antics and lack of getting into the NCAA, I think Drexel would probably be glad if we took him. I think it would be far worse than hiring Tommy Amaker (who might actually be an OK choice if others fall through). I hope Pera’s name just stops appearing.

Every March and April there’s a list of hot coaching candidates that will fill the 20 or 30 openings on the spring coaching carousel. Our search has started after the 2011 coaching carousel has mostly stopped spinning. The task before Curley is to identify the guys who will be on next spring’s hot candidate list, and hire one of them now. I’m optimistic that we can do that.

Yeah, maybe we can, but I doubt Curley can :wink:

I'm optimistic that we can do that.
Yeah, maybe [b]we[/b] can, but I doubt Curley can ;)

Between the people on this message board I think we converge on a great candidate. Curley still has to prove he can find a good basketball coach. He failed miserably the last 2 times.

The only thing I’m happy about is PSU getting some pub. Even if it’s in the form of being called out for lack of commitment from the school for men’s basketball, I feel (hope) that it may cause the next coach’s salary and expectations to be more competitive.

Remember 12-6-2000?? That was the date PSU hoops routed ~itt 88-74. Joe Crispin had 36. I also was overjoyed on this date. There was NO DOUBT at that point in time that the PSU hoop program was in better shape that ~itt!! NO DOUBT
PSU went to the sweet 16 that season.
It was Ben Howland’s (an unknown coach at the time) 2nd year at ~itt. ~itt was 7-9 in conference that season. The year before they were 5-11 in conference.

I mention this just to prove how things can change…Hope is eternal!! Now could be the beginning of a PSU charge toward the top!!

If only you could take your own advice, now and in the past few years gone by. Irony, how does it work?