Battle will be PSU all time assist leader?

Since the media guide came out recently for this season, I was browsing the all-time records for fun. It lead me to the discovery that last year, Talor Battle had the best season ever for assists for a Penn State player. Now granted he played more games then a lot past players, but he really didn’t seem to be an assist machine. It got me thinking, could he pull off maybe 2 more 160 -170 assist seasons? The record is 600 assists right now and Talor’s total is 288 before this season. So do you think Battle will get over 600 total career assists?

Its probably premature to think about this but I am itching for basketball discussions.

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:75”]Since the media guide came out recently for this season, I was browsing the all-time records for fun. It lead me to the discovery that last year, Talor Battle had the best season ever for assists for a Penn State player. Now granted he played more games then a lot past players, but he really didn’t seem to be an assist machine. It got me thinking, could he pull off maybe 2 more 160 -170 assist seasons? The record is 600 assists right now and Talor’s total is 288 before this season. So do you think Battle will get over 600 total career assists?

Its probably premature to think about this but I am itching for basketball discussions.[/quote]

Without looking it up, I think he had 189 this past year, so I’d expect at least 160+ each of the next two seasons. If he plays 4 years, he does it easily, IMO.

Kid, you are amazing!

Why? You don’t expect he’ll go backwards, do you? I figured with 150 views, it deserved a response. :wink:

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:75"]Since the media guide came out recently for this season, I was browsing the all-time records for fun. It lead me to the discovery that last year, Talor Battle had the best season ever for assists for a Penn State player. Now granted he played more games then a lot past players, but he really didn't seem to be an assist machine. It got me thinking, could he pull off maybe 2 more 160 -170 assist seasons? The record is 600 assists right now and Talor's total is 288 before this season. So do you think Battle will get over 600 total career assists?

Its probably premature to think about this but I am itching for basketball discussions.[/quote]

Without looking it up, I think he had 189 this past year, so I’d expect at least 160+ each of the next two seasons. If he plays 4 years, he does it easily, IMO.

Really kid, you think this is even a question? I’m just trying to imagine the monster year he’d have to have for him to leave early and give up playing with his brother for a year. How many dunks would it take? :wink: ;D

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:75"]Since the media guide came out recently for this season, I was browsing the all-time records for fun. It lead me to the discovery that last year, Talor Battle had the best season ever for assists for a Penn State player. Now granted he played more games then a lot past players, but he really didn't seem to be an assist machine. It got me thinking, could he pull off maybe 2 more 160 -170 assist seasons? The record is 600 assists right now and Talor's total is 288 before this season. So do you think Battle will get over 600 total career assists?

Really kid, you think this is even a question? I’m just trying to imagine the monster year he’d have to have for him to leave early and give up playing with his brother for a year. How many dunks would it take? :wink: ;D

See Geary Claxton for an alternate answer to that question.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:75"]Kid, you are amazing![/quote]

Why? You don’t expect he’ll go backwards, do you? I figured with 150 views, it deserved a response. :wink:

Amazing because you knew the correct assist amount without looking it up !
Battle will do fine this season but I’m not sure he will top 189. I don’t think we play 5 post season games this season.

Monster year? There’s 30 teams. He’s picked as 4th pg. Do the math. Scottie Reynolds and Kalin Lucas in front of him is debatable, so he may be considered higher. If he makes 2nd team All American, is that a monster year? Sure he’d like to play with Taran, but there’s big money involved. He was asked about it, and wasn’t definitive either way. I’d bet he plays 4 years, but who knows? If he’s better than Jonny Flynn(as I believe), should he stay?

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:75"]Kid, you are amazing![/quote]

Amazing because you knew the correct assist amount without looking it up !
Battle will do fine this season but I’m not sure he will top 189. I don’t think we play 5 post season games this season.

I’ve posted comparisons between him and Lucas and also Reynolds, and I have looked it up to compare and just remembered it, 189 assists, 92 TO’s, same as Lucas, much better than Reynolds in ratio.

No, but close. He won’t make the mark because 1) his minutes will decline and 2) because he’ll play more 2 guard than before.

JakkL brings up the point I was thinking, Frazier has been getting buzz so Battle has a back-up that can get him more rest and someone they can run the ball through to get Battle more off pick shots. Plus with Cornley gone, there is no one proven going to get the post up buckets that a lot assists come from.

Speaking of Bubby: twitpic.com: Battle on the cover of SportingNews

Beautiful. Congrats to Talor. It is a regional cover but it’s good to get some press anyway.

Here’s a better picture:

Good point. Didn’t really think of that. Don’t really agree on the minutes. They’ll decline, yes, but to 35mpg. Other guys do it, so he’ll be on the floor that much. But the 2nd point, yes, that could and probably will happen. If it does, I’d expect more scoring, so, then he catch Lisicky! :wink: Assuming he stays 4 years.

Speaking of Bubby: [url=http://twitpic.com/kdus1]twitpic.com: Battle on the cover of SportingNews[/url]

Beautiful. Congrats to Talor. It is a regional cover but it’s good to get some press anyway.

Here’s a better picture:

Still nice to see they’re calling PA “the hot new place for hoops.”

[quote="JakkL, post:9, topic:75"]No, but close. He won't make the mark because 1) his minutes will decline and 2) because he'll play more 2 guard than before.[/quote]

Good point. Didn’t really think of that. Don’t really agree on the minutes. They’ll decline, yes, but to 35mpg. Other guys do it, so he’ll be on the floor that much. But the 2nd point, yes, that could and probably will happen. If it does, I’d expect more scoring, so, then he catch Lisicky! :wink: Assuming he stays 4 years.

Hopefully BabbYard gets Battle about 100 assists by draining a ton of 3 balls off his passes. And Jones will be better inside. Actually, I think we will have more basketball talent on the floor this season than any of past dozen or so years (maybe longer). Hopefully the young talent can put it together quickly and we can be a force in the conference. Battle will still get his minutes, points and assists.

[quote="JakkL, post:9, topic:75"]No, but close. He won't make the mark because 1) his minutes will decline and 2) because he'll play more 2 guard than before.[/quote]

Hopefully BabbYard gets Battle about 100 assists by draining a ton of 3 balls off his passes. And Jones will be better inside. Actually, I think we will have more basketball talent on the floor this season than any of past dozen or so years (maybe longer). Hopefully the young talent can put it together quickly and we can be a force in the conference. Battle will still get his minutes, points and assists.

2001’s Crispin, Crispin, Ivory, Cline-Heard, and Smith would still get my nod over this year’s team. Four of those guys are still playing pro ball. But the drop off after the starting five was HUGE (and it showed the next season). I think this year’s team might have more depth.

I’m not ready to put this year’s group up against the 2001 guys just yet - but I might after next year.

FTR - I’d put the 1996 team of Earl, Lisicky, Gaudio, Sekunda, and Booth (with Jarrett Stephens on the bench) ahead of both (however, you did say the last dozen or so years which puts this team just outside of your criteria). All six of those guys had pro careers and at a higher level than the 2001 team.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:16, topic:75”]2001’s Crispin, Crispin, Ivory, Cline-Heard, and Smith would still get my nod over this year’s team. Four of those guys are still playing pro ball. But the drop off after the starting five was HUGE (and it showed the next season). I think this year’s team might have more depth.

I’m not ready to put this year’s group up against the 2001 guys just yet - but I might after next year.

FTR - I’d put the 1996 team of Earl, Lisicky, Gaudio, Sekunda, and Booth (with Jarrett Stephens on the bench) ahead of both (however, you did say the last dozen or so years which puts this team just outside of your criteria). All six of those guys had pro careers and at a higher level than the 2001 team.[/quote]

I agree with Lar putting the '96 team at the top. This year’s team I think can be close to the 2001 team. And I think in 2010, the team just might become the best one yet.

2001’s Crispin, Crispin, Ivory, Cline-Heard, and Smith would still get my nod over this year’s team. Four of those guys are still playing pro ball. But the drop off after the starting five was HUGE (and it showed the next season). I think this year’s team might have more depth.

FTR - I’d put the 1996 team of Earl, Lisicky, Gaudio, Sekunda, and Booth (with Jarrett Stephens on the bench) ahead of both (however, you did say the last dozen or so years which puts this team just outside of your criteria). All six of those guys had pro careers and at a higher level than the 2001 team.

I’d put the '96 team ahead also, which is why I said a dozen or so. I think this team has more overall talent than 2001 (yes, counting the bench – I think we have some talented frosh that might barely see the floor this year). I know that’s a long thin branch I’m on, but I just think this group has talented players. Time will tell.

I love all the optimism but I just can’t share it (for this year anyway). I think we’ll have a solid team with a lot of potential but most of is just potential. We lost 2 really good B10 ten players and 1 B10 shooter. I think we’ll be fine picking up Danny’s shooting but we also have to account for Stan’s shooting, penetration, and defense. Mel’s leadership, rebounds, inside play and general toughness. I think chemistry was big too. I think we have a great bunch of guys coming in but it’s still 5 NEW guys.

I feel like a broken record at this point but it’s just nuts to me that the talent on this team is being compared to the 2001 team. IMO, the talent on this team isn’t as good as the talent on LAST year’s team. Now, 2010-2011 could be a totally different story…

We don’t know who are defender is, whether or not Babb can be more than a shooter, whether or not Tim can step in immediately and play at this level (remember it even took Battle a little while to adjust), who is going to produce at teh PF, whether or not A Jones will build off his NIT play, who’s going to get the tough points inside…just a lot of unknowns. I do think we have a nice base of players who can fill the roles but I just can’t predict any post season play (NCAA, or NIT) until we see them on the floor.

It’s still nice to know the team will at least be competitive even if some of these guys don’t liev up to the potential. I’m realy hopeful we’ll be good (really good), I just hink it’s going to come a eyar later.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:19, topic:75”]I love all the optimism but I just can’t share it (for this year anyway). I think we’ll have a solid team with a lot of potential but most of is just potential. We lost 2 really good B10 ten players and 1 B10 shooter. I think we’ll be fine picking up Danny’s shooting but we also have to account for Stan’s shooting, penetration, and defense. Mel’s leadership, rebounds, inside play and general toughness. I think chemistry was big too. I think we have a great bunch of guys coming in but it’s still 5 NEW guys.

I feel like a broken record at this point but it’s just nuts to me that the talent on this team is being compared to the 2001 team. IMO, the talent on this team isn’t as good as the talent on LAST year’s team. Now, 2010-2011 could be a totally different story…

We don’t know who are defender is, whether or not Babb can be more than a shooter, whether or not Tim can step in immediately and play at this level (remember it even took Battle a little while to adjust), who is going to produce at teh PF, whether or not A Jones will build off his NIT play, who’s going to get the tough points inside…just a lot of unknowns. I do think we have a nice base of players who can fill the roles but I just can’t predict any post season play (NCAA, or NIT) until we see them on the floor.

It’s still nice to know the team will at least be competitive even if some of these guys don’t liev up to the potential. I’m realy hopeful we’ll be good (really good), I just hink it’s going to come a eyar later.[/quote]

I share some of your concerns, and it’s level headed to think along those lines, but it’s not as much fun! :wink: On Frazier, I would disagree. Yes, Battle had trouble, but it was really his shooting. As I expect little of Frazier as a scorer, as he barely even takes 3’s(which was huge part of Battle’s game), not sure he can disappoint there. Speed, ups and defense should be fine. Will he have trouble driving and scoring? Maybe some. Re Babb, I don’t expect less than Danny. He’s bigger and quicker, and while maybe he’s only a shooter, was Danny much more than that? At 6’5", kind of quick, I think he drives some, as I think he did either in the URI or GMU tourney game. On Cornley, I agree. This is a huge question mark. To expect DJ or Brooks to be much better scoringwise than they have been is nothing more than wishful thinking. May happen, just can’t expect it. IMO, Oliver, Edwards, Sasa, somebody new needs to be able to score inside, and be a go to guy in the crunch. This is what opens up the outside. Otherwise, I see a disappointing season. Exciting maybe, but with mediocre results.