Battle vs. Lucas

While the roles they play are similar, I’m with Battle on this. I don’t see them as very similar players. Battle’s more of a 3 shooter, taking roughly twice as many 3’s as Lucas. Lucas shoots more of his shots inside the arc. While Battle’s taken 90 more shots, 75 of those have been from 3. IMO, Lucas more of a true pg, Talor more of a combo. They both are critical to their teams. Allen had trouble at the point in Lucas’ absence, and Lucious started playing it.

Don’t like that MSU has lost 3 straight. They’ll be hungry on Saturday, and it will be tough frontcourt matchups for PSU. I do expect Talor will outscore Lucas for the 3rd straight time. Lucas will probably need defensive help from Allen and/or Lucious, like Walton provided in prior two contests.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/11/battle_lucas_matchup_pivotal_t.aspx

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:823”]While the roles they play are similar, I’m with Battle on this. I don’t see them as very similar players. Battle’s more of a 3 shooter, taking roughly twice as many 3’s as Lucas. Lucas shoots more of his shots inside the arc. While Battle’s taken 90 more shots, 75 of those have been from 3. IMO, Lucas more of a true pg, Talor more of a combo. They both are critical to their teams. Allen had trouble at the point in Lucas’ absence, and Lucious started playing it.

Don’t like that MSU has lost 3 straight. They’ll be hungry on Saturday, and it will be tough frontcourt matchups for PSU. I do expect Talor will outscore Lucas for the 3rd straight time. Lucas will probably need defensive help from Allen and/or Lucious, like Walton provided in prior two contests.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/11/battle_lucas_matchup_pivotal_t.aspx[/quote]I will take either one. Hey Kid just a side note Lucas will prob be outscored by Talor again because he doesn’t have to do all the scoring on his team. Just a thought ::slight_smile:

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:823"]While the roles they play are similar, I'm with Battle on this. I don't see them as very similar players. Battle's more of a 3 shooter, taking roughly twice as many 3's as Lucas. Lucas shoots more of his shots inside the arc. While Battle's taken 90 more shots, 75 of those have been from 3. IMO, Lucas more of a true pg, Talor more of a combo. They both are critical to their teams. Allen had trouble at the point in Lucas' absence, and Lucious started playing it.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/11/battle_lucas_matchup_pivotal_t.aspx[/quote]I will take either one. Hey Kid just a side note Lucas will prob be outscored by Talor again because he doesn’t have to do all the scoring on his team. Just a thought ::slight_smile:

You’re correct. Then again, teams can’t really focus on Lucas like they do on Battle. Tim Doyle’s comment that to stop PSU, you send 1, 2 even 3 people at Battle is about right. And teams switch coverage all the time. Hughes on Wisky played a very rough game on Battle, in his face all day. Then he gets his 4th foul, and they switch coverage.

I bet one of two things happens Saturday. Either Lucas doesn’t cover Battle, or after his 1st or 2nd foul he doesn’t cover him. I bet you see Lucious get more time than Allen just for this reason, to cover Battle, cause he’s not as important offensively, and he’s probably a bit quicker than Allen. Izzo doesn’t want Lucas on the bench due to fouls. IMO, it’s unlikely MSU doubles him. Battle’s had success there,(thought the game was away) vs them, so should be interesting game. MSU’s front line very good, probably better than most in the Big 10, so I see continuing issue there for PSU in this game.