Battle submits name to draft

Talor Battle will submit his name for 2010 NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent. Has until May 8 to pull name out to return for Sr year.

eh, typical i guess. just not for PSU players. :slight_smile:

http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Maginn-Grad-Penn-State-Junior-Talor-Battle/36HQhXzhq0eeDEVslw7iUA.cspx

“I’m just looking to see what’s happening for me out there,” Battle said by telephone today after a workout.

“He wants to test the waters,” added Battle’s high school coach Rich Hurley.

What, exactly, does this mean? I am not familiar with the process. Thanks.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:1102"]Talor Battle will submit his name for 2010 NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent. Has until May 8 to pull name out to return for Sr year.[/quote]

Probably that the NBA scouts will send him an evaluation. He’s just looking to get feedback from the league for what to improve upon during next season.

Makes sense to me.

[quote="NGameday, post:1, topic:1102"]Talor Battle will submit his name for 2010 NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent. Has until May 8 to pull name out to return for Sr year.[/quote]

Probably that the NBA scouts will send him an evaluation. He’s just looking to get feedback from the league for what to improve upon during next season.

exactly, it isn’t really a big deal on our end…Sean Lee did the same thing two years ago in the NFL

Good for him!

I hope he gets some great feedback.

I can’t wait to follow Talor in the NBA! Actually, I can wait … hopefully 1 more year. I know, I know, that is selfish, but if lovin’ Talor is wrong, I don’t wanna be right! ;D

I bet he gets drafted. It depends on the workouts, and I don’t see him not delivering. Does he ever not deliver? He led USA in scoring. How many of those guys are entering the draft? Brackins, Hayward, Varnado, Turner come to mind.

I’d say 50/50. Talor can play. He’s not in the mock draft, but neither is Delaney, but Willie Warren, Bledsoe and Sherron Collins as pg’s? 5 Kentucky guys in top 24. You think they might’ve won this year if that was true. Manny Harris ranked 44th.

I was just looking at the list of early entries and thinking it would be nice to someday see one of our kids test the waters and then I came here and saw the ticker and I got a real empty feeling in my stomach. I hope that Talor gets some great feedback but I also hopes he comes back another year.

The NBA has a Draft Advisory Board that advises NCAA undergrads where they are likely to be drafted, if at all. It consists of nine anonymous members but is supposedly three general managers and six player personnel directors. A few days before the last day that Battle can remove his name from the draft he will get an email from the NBA that has the report in it. That’s all that’s involved. There are no scheduled workouts or anything. The committee relies on what the scouts have been reporting all season. Once he receives the report, Battle will be able to make a decision one way or the other. As long as he continues going to class (and he doesn’t hire an agent), he’ll be able to play next year if he doesn’t declare.

First round is guaranteed money, correct?

Correct

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1102”]I bet he gets drafted. It depends on the workouts, and I don’t see him not delivering. Does he ever not deliver? He led USA in scoring. How many of those guys are entering the draft? Brackins, Hayward, Varnado, Turner come to mind.

I’d say 50/50. Talor can play. He’s not in the mock draft, but neither is Delaney, but Willie Warren, Bledsoe and Sherron Collins as pg’s? 5 Kentucky guys in top 24. You think they might’ve won this year if that was true. Manny Harris ranked 44th.[/quote]

Probably a good example of why players should leave when they can. Warren was a potential Top 10 pick last season. Now he maybe slips into the second round. That’s a lot of guaranteed money he lost.

KY had a flaw - their questionable shooting - that was their ultimate downfall. The players getting drafted are 2 PG, 2 C and a PF. They didn’t have much in the way of wing play.

This is a smart decision no Talor’s part. It’s a “no-risk” move on this part. He finds out how the League perceives him and he gets his name out there.

I’m setting myself a reminder in Outlook for May 7…“Contact Talor’s Mom to Verify He Has Removed Name From Draft” ;D

The NBA has a Draft Advisory Board that advises NCAA undergrads where they are likely to be drafted, if at all. It consists of nine anonymous members but is supposedly three general managers and six player personnel directors. A few days before the last day that Battle can remove his name from the draft he will get an email from the NBA that has the report in it. That’s all that’s involved. There are no scheduled workouts or anything. The committee relies on what the scouts have been reporting all season. Once he receives the report, Battle will be able to make a decision one way or the other. As long as he continues going to class (and he doesn’t hire an agent), he’ll be able to play next year if he doesn’t declare.

Maybe not any scheduled, but he hopes to get invited, so then they’ll be scheduled. It seems to be a very tall draft, not too many pg’s, lots of 6’8"+ guys. On a pg skill level, esp handle, quickness and NBA range, can’t be too many guys in front of Talor. How is someone like Malcolm Delaney not in front of UK’s Bledsoe? As much as everybody is enamored with KY and John Wall, it might’ve helped if they could shoot. That was one of the worst shooting displays in NCAA history. KY was 2-16 from 3 vs. Cornell and 4-32 vs. West Virginia, or 12.5% in each. And these guys are all pros? At least they were consistent shooting the same in each game. Patterson and Cousins are the steals on that team, IMO. Wall also had 4.0 TO’s per game this season. Taking him over Turner is nuts. He doesn’t shoot well, turns the ball over a lot, and had two monsters inside to feed the ball to. He can drive, and is sorta like Derrick Rose, but IMO, Turner’s got much more, and the big men available are better bets.

Battle is hoping to get invited for a few workouts, but his window is narrow. He has just one month to line up opportunities and, by NCAA rule, cannot miss a class, test or any other academic responsibility for that workout.

Maybe not any scheduled, but he hopes to get invited, so then they’ll be scheduled. It seems to be a very tall draft, not too many pg’s, lots of 6’8"+ guys. On a pg skill level, esp handle, quickness and NBA range, can’t be too many guys in front of Talor. How is someone like Malcolm Delaney not in front of UK’s Bledsoe? As much as everybody is enamored with KY and John Wall, it might’ve helped if they could shoot. That was one of the worst shooting displays in NCAA history. KY was 2-16 from 3 vs. Cornell and 4-32 vs. West Virginia, or 12.5% in each. And these guys are all pros? At least they were consistent shooting the same in each game. Patterson and Cousins are the steals on that team, IMO. Wall also had 4.0 TO’s per game this season. Taking him over Turner is nuts. He doesn’t shoot well, turns the ball over a lot, and had two monsters inside to feed the ball to. He can drive, and is sorta like Derrick Rose, but IMO, Turner’s got much more, and the big men available are better bets.

Battle is hoping to get invited for a few workouts, but his window is narrow. He has just one month to line up opportunities and, by NCAA rule, cannot miss a class, test or any other academic responsibility for that workout.

the story has now been reported by Mark Brennan at Scout.com

Battle Declares for NBA Draft

““I'm looking forward to going and working out for some teams around the country and competing against the top players in the country and see where I stand,” Battle said in a prepared statement. “I'll do that, get an evaluation of where I'm at, and then go from there.”

According to the experts, this is a weak draft for PGs. Very smart for Talor to put his name in the mix.

There are definitely scheduled events for NBA draft picks. I watched the draft combine on NBA TV last season. They had a lot of the potential top picks there. They did drills, tested quickness, vertical, scrimmaged, etc. That is also where the players real heights are measured. Always interesting to find out. They also have tournaments, one is the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. I think those might be for seniors only?

http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/players.php

I think there’s about a 90% chance he’ll be back at Penn State next year.
He just wants to give it a shot and see if he can get a first-round “promise.”

Smart move on his part, especially since there’s a very good chance there will be an NBA lockout in 2011-12. If you’re a 2nd-rnd pick or undrafted that year, you’ll likely have more trouble finding a team if there’s a lockout.

Here’s what I find amusing. How many PSU basketball players ever even considered leaving early for the NBA? None since '95 when I started following them, so I’m sure alot of casual fans will freakout. IMO much ado about nothing.