Battle returning to PSU; opts out of NBA draft

http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Maginns-Battle-Opts-Out-of-NBA-Draft/B-lB2Gcd80-Q-0lmnGuCOQ.cspx

Good. Hopefully he can have a great senior year and become a first rounder.

Thank you Talor. Great birthday present.

Does that mean he won’t workout for the Trailblazers tomorrow?

Seems likely(that he won’t), but I’d love to see his quickness and agility numbers, as determined by an NBA team. If I had to wager, I’d bet Devan Downey is at or near the top of those numbers now. I thought Talor would be near the top. Of course, the shorter guys have a big edge. Sherron Collins should be up there too.

[quote="blue2blue, post:4, topic:1144"]Does that mean he won't workout for the Trailblazers tomorrow?[/quote]

Seems likely(that he won’t), but I’d love to see his quickness and agility numbers, as determined by an NBA team. If I had to wager, I’d bet Devan Downey is at or near the top of those numbers now. I thought Talor would be near the top. Of course, the shorter guys have a big edge. Sherron Collins should be up there too.

If they’ll still let him work out I wouldn’t be suprised if he did. If he doesn’t get some sort of evaluation, the whole thing is sorta of a waste.

Good news for the Lions. I’m not surprised.

according to FOS, Battle has not opted out yet…

That makes more sense to me … if you have a workout lined up, why opt out before the workout?

Nate Bauer from BWI is reporting the same thing.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/05/06/battle_coming_back_for_senior.aspx

Interesting, and smart. GM’s really need to be creative. With someone like Talor, or any player in a similar position, it’d be smart for GM’s to commit to a second round pick. I get the feeling that the teams want to wait til the last minute, see everybody, go over results ad nauseum, yada yada. That’s what supposedly happened last year, and it hurts the guys who don’t hire an agent.

If you go to the Indiana Pacers site, there’s a Bird video, where he is talking about pg’s, and how TJ Ford being hurt, was costly to the team. They have AJ Price, but he didn’t even mention his name in the video, so I guess he doesn’t think he can do it. I don’t know. Here’s a little blip on the Pacers situation from April 30:

[i] (AP)—Indiana Pacers point guard T.J. Ford(notes) will pick up the player option on the final year of his contract and return to the team next season.

Bob Myers, Ford’s agent, said the paperwork is in process. Ford is owed $8.5 million next year.

Ford joined the team via a trade with Toronto two years ago. He averaged a career-high 14.9 points his first season with the Pacers, despite splitting time with Jarrett Jack(notes).

Pacers coach Jim O’Brien had high hopes for Ford heading into this season, but he struggled. O’Brien benched him for a month at midseason in favor of Earl Watson(notes) and rookie A.J. Price(notes).

After O’Brien started playing Ford again, he suffered a left groin injury and didn’t play after March 12. He averaged 10.3 points in 47 games.[/i]

Bird likes gamers.

“Battle is still on his way to Portland, Ore., to work out with the NBA’s Trail Blazers on Friday and will still complete that workout,…”

So does Talor have to pay the travel expenses etc.? Or does a kid that declares get some leeway such that maybe the NBA team can pay his way.

State College to Portland plus lodging etc has to be several hundred maybe a thousand plus.

Just wondering.

[quote=“Speed, post:13, topic:1144”]“Battle is still on his way to Portland, Ore., to work out with the NBA’s Trail Blazers on Friday and will still complete that workout,…”

So does Talor have to pay the travel expenses etc.? Or does a kid that declares get some leeway such that maybe the NBA team can pay his way.

State College to Portland plus lodging etc has to be several hundred maybe a thousand plus.

Just wondering.[/quote]
Travel and expenses should be covered by the pro team.

McCamey ducking Talor??

http://www.journalstandard.com/sports/x1381027237/McCamey-to-attend-pre-draft-workout-with-Houston-Rockets

[quote=“Speed, post:13, topic:1144”]“Battle is still on his way to Portland, Ore., to work out with the NBA’s Trail Blazers on Friday and will still complete that workout,…”

Just wondering.[/quote]

As long as he doesn’t stay more than 48 hours, the team can pay “actual and necessary” expenses without it impacting his eligibility. If he stays for longer than 48 hours, he must pay his own way to keep his eligibility.

http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Battle-Plays-Well-in-Trailblazer-Workout-Will/7cXd5PZUB0edNhjlk1cAqA.cspx

36 of 50 not too shabby. He does need to get stronger. When you look at some NBA’ers his height, like Chris Paul and Jameer Nelson, and even DJ Augustin, they’re a bit beefier, Nelson by a lot, the others a little less so. Just hope it doesn’t slow him down. It’s going to be fun seeing him back. I’d bet anything he’s going to look significantly stronger prior to the season starting, as it can’t be done during the season. It’d be great if other returning players came back ready for bear as well. He’s going to have a great season, and be a 1st rounder. Watching him play with Taran will be a blast, and I think you’ll see Taran make 1st or 2nd team all Big 10. I’d like to see the team ink a big man.

[quote="Tom, post:17, topic:1144"][url=http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Battle-Plays-Well-in-Trailblazer-Workout-Will/7cXd5PZUB0edNhjlk1cAqA.cspx]http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Battle-Plays-Well-in-Trailblazer-Workout-Will/7cXd5PZUB0edNhjlk1cAqA.cspx[/url][/quote]

36 of 50 not too shabby. He does need to get stronger. When you look at some NBA’ers his height, like Chris Paul and Jameer Nelson, and even DJ Augustin, they’re a bit beefier, Nelson by a lot, the others a little less so. Just hope it doesn’t slow him down. It’s going to be fun seeing him back. I’d bet anything he’s going to look significantly stronger prior to the season starting, as it can’t be done during the season. It’d be great if other returning players came back ready for bear as well. He’s going to have a great season, and be a 1st rounder. Watching him play with Taran will be a blast, and I think you’ll see Taran make 1st or 2nd team all Big 10. I’d like to see the team ink a big man.

We need to start keeping a list of all your claims for Taran

36 of 50 is really good. I think I heard Dirk or maybe Keith Van Horn hit 47 of 50 during a pre-draft workout. That is just nuts. 36 is certainly impressive.

[quote="Tom, post:17, topic:1144"][url=http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Battle-Plays-Well-in-Trailblazer-Workout-Will/7cXd5PZUB0edNhjlk1cAqA.cspx]http://www.fox23news.com/sports/custom/localsports/story/Battle-Plays-Well-in-Trailblazer-Workout-Will/7cXd5PZUB0edNhjlk1cAqA.cspx[/url][/quote]

We need to start keeping a list of all your claims for Taran

36 of 50 is really good. I think I heard Dirk or maybe Keith Van Horn hit 47 of 50 during a pre-draft workout. That is just nuts. 36 is certainly impressive.

Go ahead on the claims. I wish we had the anti-Curry claims. I could use a good laugh. On Taran, I saw him outplay Lance Stephenson, beat Kevin Jones, play solidly vs. Brandon Triche(Syracuse). Unfortunately, vs. Lincoln, Maginn had a big man who played like a “perimeter player”, and Lincoln’s two big men shot 14-18, beating Maginn in NYS Federation finals in '08.

If you were disappointed in Talor, you’ll be disappointed in Taran. How’s that? Different game, same tenacity. He’ll start by conference time, probably sooner with Babb leaving. espn said he could be an “elite” defender, to which I wholeheartedly agree. Keep a list of their claims too. He’s not a good defender, he’s scary. Full court press scary. He’ll shut guys down. I will bet that posters here will soon agree he’s one of best pressure defenders they’ve ever seen. As good as I’ve ever seen in HS, and I see lots of guys now at major DI programs, primarily Big East.

Soo, here’s my predictions.

1st or second team all Big 10 freshmen team
top 3 scorers on PSU his frosh year. May be 4th, as I don’t know Bowman, and he might be really good, but other than Talor, no more than one other returning player will beat him out.
top 2 in steals. This will be tough with Talor, Frazier and maybe Bowman, but Taran may be #1, so I’ll take that chance.
9ppg
top 3 in FTA’s. Like Talor, not afraid to go inside. Will get pounded and will keep doing it. Fearless.