Battle relates his workout experience to SI

Talor and five others talk about their experiences with the new pre-draft format.

Love the NCAA… >:(

Just looking out for the players best interests…yeah right!

In defense of the NCAA…they probaly have all of their best minds working the Reggie Bush case ???

If the deadline was later, we might not have the luxury of watching Battle in B&W next season. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:1163”]If the deadline was later, we might not have the luxury of watching Battle in B&W next season. :P[/quote]It’s doubtful that he would go from not being on anyone’s draftboard to getting drafted. I think the advice he received was correct. Get stronger and improve his handle. He really needs to rework his FT form tho. I hope the NCAA moves their pullout date back a week for next year. Clearly this setup doesn’t work for a lot of the kids including Talor. If he does what they tell him he’ll get drafted next year. He has the right mindset. He’s tough. I’m glad we have back for one more year.

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1163"]If the deadline was later, we might not have the luxury of watching Battle in B&W next season. :P[/quote]It's doubtful that he would go from not being on anyone's draftboard to getting drafted. I think the advice he received was correct. Get stronger and improve his handle. He really needs to rework his FT form tho. I hope the NCAA moves their pullout date back a week for next year. Clearly this setup doesn't work for a lot of the kids including Talor. If he does what they tell him he'll get drafted next year. He has the right mindset. He's tough. I'm glad we have back for one more year.

Agree. The system needs “tweaked.” Maybe back the date a couple of weeks. Then they could also back the LOI final date a couple of weeks.
I think a player in Talor’s position should be able to show his stuff in 5-5 full court scrimmages against his peers several times in front of pro scouts before the “cut off” date. Works out are “nice” but not good enough. Remember the NBA geniuses dubbed Darko M. a sure fire SUPER STAR based on “workouts.”

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1163"]If the deadline was later, we might not have the luxury of watching Battle in B&W next season. :P[/quote]It's doubtful that he would go from not being on anyone's draftboard to getting drafted. I think the advice he received was correct. Get stronger and improve his handle. He really needs to rework his FT form tho. I hope the NCAA moves their pullout date back a week for next year. Clearly this setup doesn't work for a lot of the kids including Talor. If he does what they tell him he'll get drafted next year. He has the right mindset. He's tough. I'm glad we have back for one more year.

I agree. I was just giving the Battle debaters some fodder to argue over - hence the smilie. :slight_smile:

“Afterward, they told you your strengths and weaknesses and were pretty straightforward about it on a professional level; they said I needed to get bigger, work on my ball handling and that it was in my best interests to go back to school.”

kid, are you out there?

[quote=“djones, post:7, topic:1163”]“Afterward, they told you your strengths and weaknesses and were pretty straightforward about it on a professional level; they said I needed to get bigger, work on my ball handling and that it was in my best interests to go back to school.”

kid, are you out there?[/quote]

Yes, read it but don’t buy it. C’mon, look at the numbers. Maybe they thought his speed and shooting were so great, they had to tell him something. :wink: He does need to get stronger, just hope it doesn’t sacrifice speed. If he strengthens, but doesn’t add too much weight, should be okay. Chris Paul and Jameer Nelson are the same height or shorter, but bulked up, esp Nelson.

You know who either needs to seriously work on his ball handling or handle the ball less? LeBron James. That was pitiful. If you use a sum of the parts type of analysis, he’s #1 player. But ball handling? Please. Shooting 3’s? NFW. Curry was 7th in shooting, 18th in attempts. LeBron was 109th in shooting, 17th in attempts. Big problem. Why does his coach let him do both with abandon? Can’t control him. Too big a star. He needs to focus on what he’s good at. Going to the hole, getting to the line, playing D and rebounding. There’s nobody better at those things, lots of guys better at the others. LeBron’s career starting to resemble Wilt’s. Great numbers, bad post season results.

[quote="djones, post:7, topic:1163"][i]"Afterward, they told you your strengths and weaknesses and were pretty straightforward about it on a professional level; they said I needed to get bigger, [b]work on my ball handling [/b] and that it was in my best interests to go back to school."[/i]

Yes, read it but don’t buy it. C’mon, look at the numbers. Maybe they thought his speed and shooting were so great, they had to tell him something. :wink: He does need to get stronger, just hope it doesn’t sacrifice speed. If he strengthens, but doesn’t add too much weight, should be okay. Chris Paul and Jameer Nelson are the same height or shorter, but bulked up, esp Nelson.

You know who either needs to seriously work on his ball handling or handle the ball less? LeBron James. That was pitiful. If you use a sum of the parts type of analysis, he’s #1 player. But ball handling? Please. Shooting 3’s? NFW. Curry was 7th in shooting, 18th in attempts. LeBron was 109th in shooting, 17th in attempts. Big problem. Why does his coach let him do both with abandon? Can’t control him. Too big a star. He needs to focus on what he’s good at. Going to the hole, getting to the line, playing D and rebounding. There’s nobody better at those things, lots of guys better at the others. LeBron’s career starting to resemble Wilt’s. Great numbers, bad post season results.

or maybe Michael Jordan’s.

Michael Jordan -
ALL NBA 1st team - 24 years old
League MVP - 25 years old
NBA championship - 27 years old

LeBron James -
ALL NBA 1st team - 22 years old
NBA championship - ? (but he’s only 26 years old)

Wilt Chamberlain -
League MVP - 24 years old
NBA championship - 31 years old

[quote="djones, post:7, topic:1163"][i]"Afterward, they told you your strengths and weaknesses and were pretty straightforward about it on a professional level; they said I needed to get bigger, [b]work on my ball handling [/b] and that it was in my best interests to go back to school."[/i]

or maybe Michael Jordan’s.

Michael Jordan -
NBA championship - 27 years old

LeBron James -
ALL NBA 1st team - 22 years old
NBA championship - ? (but he’s only 26 years old)

Wilt Chamberlain -
League MVP - 24 years old
NBA championship - 31 years old

I put Jordan in a different class. He never played that badly in elimination loss. Wilt often did. And Jordan started his pro career two years later than LeBron. Jordan also had to face the Pistons and Celtics in the East. Much more concentrated talent than LeBron is facing. And the Cavs were heavy favorites vs. the Celts, primarily due to him. Don’t believe the Jordan Bulls were favorites in their playoff losses. LeBron didn’t deliver. Good stats, bad game. Eyeballs, Lar, but also TO’s. This Celtic team is kind of old, and had a better road record this year than at home. Jordan would’ve had 47 vs. this Celtic team.

This is a Battle thread. Battle handle > LeBron handle. So there. :wink:

This is a Battle thread. Battle handle > LeBron handle. So there. :wink:
[/quote]

I have a feeling this thread is going to get interesting :o

I called kid out for diverting the Jonathan Graham thread into a Seton Hall discussion. I’m just going to assume he’s doing the same to me here regarding LeBron James and Michael Jordan. Then I’ll ignore the rest of the comment.

[/quote]

Everybody can always be recommended to improve their strength. Curry naysayers were saying he’d never make it, not strong enough. But Talor’s handle? Improving it can’t hurt. I just don’t see it as weak vs. guys in the draft. If there are 10 guys entering the draft with better handles, I don’t know who they are. Certainly not John Wall nor Lance Stephenson. They’re bigger and stronger and more able to finish in the paint vs. NBA bigs, no doubt, but better handle? Or better shooters? NFW. Look at the numbers. I see Stephenson as a bust. I first saw him in '07. Just not impressed. You see a kid play for 3 years and he hasn’t been able to shoot any time you see him, well I just don’t expect that will change. Born Ready baloney not a good sign.

Everybody has weaknesses. If Talor improves his strength and doesn’t lose any speed, don’t see why he shouldn’t be an NBA starter. I think we’ll see early next season. He certainly isn’t going to wait for the season to start before getting stronger. Seems to be a determined kid. I bet he and Taran come in at the peak of their conditioning and game. Talor almost has to, as there’s no way you can do the work necessary during the season.

[b]This is a Battle thread. Battle handle > LeBron handle. So there.[/b] ;)

Everybody can always be recommended to improve their strength. Curry naysayers were saying he’d never make it, not strong enough. But Talor’s handle? Improving it can’t hurt. I just don’t see it as weak vs. guys in the draft. If there are 10 guys entering the draft with better handles, I don’t know who they are. Certainly not John Wall nor Lance Stephenson. They’re bigger and stronger and more able to finish in the paint vs. NBA bigs, no doubt, but better handle? Or better shooters? NFW. Look at the numbers. I see Stephenson as a bust. I first saw him in '07. Just not impressed. You see a kid play for 3 years and he hasn’t been able to shoot any time you see him, well I just don’t expect that will change. Born Ready baloney not a good sign.

Everybody has weaknesses. If Talor improves his strength and doesn’t lose any speed, don’t see why he shouldn’t be an NBA starter. I think we’ll see early next season. He certainly isn’t going to wait for the season to start before getting stronger. Seems to be a determined kid. I bet he and Taran come in at the peak of their conditioning and game. Talor almost has to, as there’s no way you can do the work necessary during the season.

Yes, because he’s spent 3 years in a strength program… i’m sure the 4th year is what’s going to turn him into a muscle machine. He’s got a small frame, he’s not ever going to have great strength - chances are, he’s close to having maxed out how strong he’ll ever be.

And I love how you just dismiss the ballhandling thing HAHA truly love it.

If they said this about John Wall you’d be freaking out and bringing that to everyone’s attention left and right… but because you think he has the greatest A/T ration since the game was invented they CAN’T be right.

Just another case of you completely ignoring reality when it conflicts with what you’ve already made your mind up about.

“But the numbers… THE NUMBERS!!!”… We know. Believe it or not, your misguided use of “numbers when they’re convenient” can’t even help you here. Everyone told you that the scouts didn’t get a rat’s *** about THOSE kinds of numbers, it’s all about potential at the next level - not how you’ve played against a bunch of guys who mostly will never play again in a couple of years.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1163”]I put Jordan in a different class. He never played that badly in elimination loss.Wilt often did. And Jordan started his pro career two years later than LeBron. Jordan also had to face the Pistons and Celtics in the East. Much more concentrated talent than LeBron is facing. And the Cavs were heavy favorites vs. the Celts, primarily due to him. Don’t believe the Jordan Bulls were favorites in their playoff losses. LeBron didn’t deliver. Good stats, bad game. Eyeballs, Lar, but also TO’s. This Celtic team is kind of old, and had a better road record this year than at home. Jordan would’ve had 47 vs. this Celtic team.

This is a Battle thread. Battle handle > LeBron handle. So there. ;)[/quote]

Jordan played like crap several times against the Pistons. Of course that was when he was a one man team. Stop Jordan and you stop the Bulls.

47 against the Celtics? Hmmmm. I’m going with 63. That Celtic team was > this Celtic team.

Craftsy, check your meds. :wink:

Take note folks - I think this is as close as we’ll ever get to hearing this guy admit he’s wrong. A special day in PSU hoops, you may never see it again.

Craftsy, check your meds. ;)

Take note folks - I think this is as close as we’ll ever get to hearing this guy admit he’s wrong. A special day in PSU hoops, you may never see it again.

Huh? You’re delerious. I’ve been wrong. Twice. I thought Sasa would average 10ppg this past season and bet on it. Curry saved me so it was a wash. The second time I was wrong was I believed you knew what you were talking about. :wink:

He can handle. They had to tell him something to work on. Posters said Curry needed to get stronger. I’m sure he heard that too. Small frame? What the heck does that mean? Smaller than Lucas? What’s the difference in his frame and muscle bound Jameer Nelson? Are Nelson’s bones bigger? How about Chris Paul? Augustin? TJ Ford? Nate Robinson? Boykins?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:16, topic:1163"]Craftsy, check your meds. ;)[/quote]

Huh? You’re delerious. I’ve been wrong. Twice. I thought Sasa would average 10ppg this past season and bet on it. Curry saved me so it was a wash. The second time I was wrong was I believed you knew what you were talking about. :wink:

He can handle. They had to tell him something to work on. Posters said Curry needed to get stronger. I’m sure he heard that too. Small frame? What the heck does that mean? Smaller than Lucas? What’s the difference in his frame and muscle bound Jameer Nelson? Are Nelson’s bones bigger? How about Chris Paul? Augustin? TJ Ford? Nate Robinson? Boykins?

kid, you continuously crack me up :smiley:

Of course, sometimes I’m laughing with you and sometimes I’m laughing “at” you. In this post, it is both at the same time! First paragraph is hilarious - I’m laughing with you. Second paragraph I’m laughing at you. “They had to tell him something to work on”? Come on now. These are professional talent evaluators that don’t believe he would be drafted. There has to be a reason that they don’t think he’ll be drafted - they aren’t just making something up to have something to say to avoid those awkward pauses in conversations.

I think Battle is phenomenal, but he isn’t perfect. And there is no shame in admitting he might have areas where he could improve. I’d bet he’d tell you the same thing himself.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:16, topic:1163"]Craftsy, check your meds. ;)[/quote]

Um, the first time you were wrong (that i can remember) was the two dunks per game boast. And that should count as one wrong for every game Battle did not have two dunks (has he even had one game with two dunks?).