PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Battle on Portsmouth Invitational Roster

Battle belonged at the 2 this year. But someone had to have told him something about what he’d be asked to do at Portsmouth for him to waver, because it’s PG or bust for the NBA

Josh Harrellson withdrew from the tournament.

Based on what, Tim being better at the 1? I think it’s fair to ask if Talor and Jermaine may have been better than Tim and Talor. I don’t know, and Tim stepped up, but switching to the 2 didn’t help Talor. Maybe saved his energy and got him more points, but that’s cause the team didn’t have enough scorers to take the pressure off him at the 1. Jordan Taylor wasn’t double teamed, nor Lucas or Moore. And IMO, Talor penetrated and dished better than Tim, but dish to who? That was an issue. So, it was really a move to open things up for Talor, and it did, but not sure it was an overall good move.

Wonder why. You think his showing vs. OSU got him more confidence making it unnecessary? That’s going to hurt that team tremendously. He was phenomenal in the tourney.

Based on this team needing Battle more at the 2 than the 1 this year

Full list of additions and subtractions:

Dropped out-
chris wright (dayton), marshon brooks (providence), Lavoy Allen (temple), Jon Diebler (osu), Austin Freeman (gtown), Justin Harper (richmond), Josh Harrellson (UK), Cory Higgins (colorado, Matt Howard (butler)

Add-
Dallas Lauderdale (OSU), Alex Tyus (Florida), Andrew Warren (bradley), Joe Trapani (Boston College), DJ Gay (SDState), Jeremiah Rivers (Indiana), Cam Long (George Mason), Delvon Johnson (Arkansas), Luke Sikma (Portland), Lace Darius Dunn (Baylor)

Theres probably someone I missed that dropped out since the numbers don’t add up, oh well.

Based on what, Tim being better at the 1?

You can’t really say that for sure. Yes, assists, rebounds, defense all important, but I actually thought there should have been more 3G play, but that did get complicated by Taran’s situation. I really think early on Ed might’ve tried Jermaine/Taran with Talor. Tim got much,much better, but early on, that wasn’t clear, and given minutes, Jermaine/Taran may have stepped up as well. Taran was 4th in scoring when he was suspended. I’m not knocking Tim, but those two may have been better scorers, and overall points may have been higher, and Talor was the best 1 on the team. Ed obviously trusted Tim more at the 1, than those two at the 2. Maybe right, but I’m not so sure.

[b]Full list of additions and subtractions:[/b]

Dropped out-
chris wright (dayton), marshon brooks (providence), Lavoy Allen (temple), Jon Diebler (osu), Austin Freeman (gtown), Justin Harper (richmond), Josh Harrellson (UK), Cory Higgins (colorado, Matt Howard (butler)

Add-
Dallas Lauderdale (OSU), Alex Tyus (Florida), Andrew Warren (bradley), Joe Trapani (Boston College), DJ Gay (SDState), Jeremiah Rivers (Indiana), Cam Long (George Mason), Delvon Johnson (Arkansas), Luke Sikma (Portland), Lace Darius Dunn (Baylor)

Theres probably someone I missed that dropped out since the numbers don’t add up, oh well.

Some big drops on Talor’s team, with Freeman and Harrelson. Hope he gets Tyus or even Lauderdale. I don’t know the other bigs so well. Trapani was at Vermont, they beat BC, and BC recruited him, a few years back. He’s pretty good as well, but IMO, Tyus got great this year.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:23, topic:2295"]Based on what, Tim being better at the 1?[/quote]

You can’t really say that for sure.

Right. And had Bowman played 40 minutes per game, he might have averaged 30 points per game. But we can’t say that for sure either. I’m guessing the coaching staff felt our best option in the backcourt was Tim and Talor, or they would have gone a different direction. Practice time probably gave them that idea. But practice isn’t the game, so you are right, we can’t say that for sure. But we can’t change the past, so we’ll never know.

I think it would be interesting to see Talor distribute to a complete group. Over his career we had too many pieces of the puzzle that were challenged offensively to be able to really run a complete offense.

These guys are all getting agents now who are advising them on whether their cause needs to be helped or can only be hurt by participating in these kinds of events.

[quote=“tjb, post:28, topic:2295”]I think it would be interesting to see Talor distribute to a complete group. Over his career we had too many pieces of the puzzle that were challenged offensively to be able to really run a complete offense.
These guys are all getting agents now who are advising them on whether their cause needs to be helped or can only be hurt by participating in these kinds of events.[/quote]

Ah…come tjb. 3 other PSU players practically started the entire 4 years with Talor!! Check the PSU record book for games played!! In this 4 year span we probaly have had less turnover than any college team!

But his best year, assist-wise, was when he had a reliable post player (Cornley) and a reliable jump shooter (Pringle) to help him out for a full season.

That’s something he didn’t have the other three years (noting Claxton got hurt half way through the season)

[b]I think it would be interesting to see Talor distribute to a complete group. Over his career we had too many pieces of the puzzle that were challenged offensively to be able to really run a complete offense. [/b] These guys are all getting agents now who are advising them on whether their cause needs to be helped or can only be hurt by participating in these kinds of events.

Ah…come tjb. 3 other PSU players practically started the entire 4 years with Talor!! Check the PSU record book for games played!! In this 4 year span we probaly have had less turnover than any college team!

Player turnover has nothing to do with their individual abilities and that is what tjb was stressing. DJ and AJ were limited to face up jump shots. Jeff was an enigma until this season. Offensively, we were not a dynamic team.

[quote=“Tom, post:30, topic:2295”]But his best year, assist-wise, was when he had a reliable post player (Cornley) and a reliable jump shooter (Pringle) to help him out for a full season.

That’s something he didn’t have the other three years (noting Claxton got hurt half way through the season)[/quote]

The other thing to note is that this season he wasn’t running the point when Tim was in the game. Tim wound up having one of the best assist rates in the country (43rd by kenpom i believe) and TB played off the ball a ton.

So there’s even more to his assist numbers than just the fact that his surrounding cast changed - his role with the team also changed.

[quote="tjb, post:28, topic:2295"][b]I think it would be interesting to see Talor distribute to a complete group. Over his career we had too many pieces of the puzzle that were challenged offensively to be able to really run a complete offense. [/b] These guys are all getting agents now who are advising them on whether their cause needs to be helped or can only be hurt by participating in these kinds of events.[/quote]

Player turnover has nothing to do with their individual abilities and that is what tjb was stressing. DJ and AJ were limited to face up jump shots. Jeff was an enigma until this season. Offensively, we were not a dynamic team.

And yet we were still one of the top 30 most efficient offenses in the country this year.

If you want to hold anything against him stat-wise, the only case you can really make is that we played in one of the top 5 slowest paces in the country - meaning he had less chances to rack up numbers like APG or PPG. But our offense was pretty darn good at putting the ball through the hoop on a per possession basis, even if you didn’t like the way it looked when we did it.

As of 2:30, Jeremy Hazell was still on Seton Hall campus, so I wonder if hes going to play…

Ryan Feldman (@thehoopsreport) will be tweeting from the event tonight. I recommend following.

Seconded

[quote="noobd, post:35, topic:2295"]Ryan Feldman (@thehoopsreport) will be tweeting from the event tonight. I recommend following.[/quote]

Seconded

Bastard answered your tweet, but not mine! You would think Hazell dropping out would warrant a reply/tweet. :-\

Skeen dropped out. Understandable

Good catch. Thanks. You must be right on Hazell as well.

[quote="noobd, post:35, topic:2295"]Ryan Feldman (@thehoopsreport) will be tweeting from the event tonight. I recommend following.[/quote]

Seconded

Bastard answered your tweet, but not mine! You would think Hazell dropping out would warrant a reply/tweet. :-</blockquote>

lol…well he did answer it indirectly