PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Battle Named To Wooden Award Top 50 List For Second Year

Top returning scorer in Big Ten among nation’s high 10 Big 10 players on list

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/100410aaa.html

Go Bubby and go PSU! Bring on the hoops season! :slight_smile:
Doesn’t practice start soon?

Here’s a question. Has there ever been a Wooden Award winner who didn’t get drafted in the NBA draft?

Where’s Buie? If John Wall can make the list as a freshman, there is no reason that Taran shouldn’t be on it. [/Kidcoyote Impersonation]

They’ve all been drafted. In fact, Danny Ainge is the only one to not go in the first round.

Sure you’re not Craftsy in drag? IMO, he’s got a shot at 1st team all freshmen Big 10. 11 frosh are 4 or 5 star, so that’ll be tough, but doable. He’ll get more minutes than some guys rated higher, so maybe. I don’t know if there’s an all defensive freshmen team, but he’d be a lock to make that. Best defensive guard I ever saw in HS. If you were disappointed in Talor’s play as a freshmen, you’ll be disappointed in his play. How’s that?

Don’t exaggerate what I say/said. Read what I write, and criticize me on that if you like, not something you dream up.

[quote="State4Life, post:3, topic:1381"]Where's Buie? If John Wall can make the list as a freshman, there is no reason that Taran shouldn't be on it. [/Kidcoyote Impersonation][/quote]

Sure you’re not Craftsy in drag? IMO, he’s got a shot at 1st team all freshmen Big 10. 11 frosh are 4 or 5 star, so that’ll be tough, but doable. He’ll get more minutes than some guys rated higher, so maybe. I don’t know if there’s an all defensive freshmen team, but he’d be a lock to make that. Best defensive guard I ever saw in HS. If you were disappointed in Talor’s play as a freshmen, you’ll be disappointed in his play. How’s that?

Don’t exaggerate what I say/said. Read what I write, and criticize me on that if you like, not something you dream up.

kinda redundant, seeing how there are no second or third team freshman All-BIG TEN :wink:

[quote="State4Life, post:3, topic:1381"]Where's Buie? If John Wall can make the list as a freshman, there is no reason that Taran shouldn't be on it. [/Kidcoyote Impersonation][/quote]

Kid, I was only playing around. I like reading your posts, no disrespect intended.

Kid, I was only playing around. I like reading your posts, no disrespect intended.

Gotcha. My gut tells me he’ll excel, but a bit differently than Talor. Plays bigger, more inside points, better D, better rebounder. Runs the floor very well. Loves to finish at the hole. Likes to sneak inside for offensive putbacks(even espn mentioned that). It’ll be interesting to see how going to the hole works in the Big 10. Not a guy to stand at the arc waiting for the ball to shoot, yet he hit 5 or 6 treys in a game twice, so he’s alright there, but IMO, much more likely to beat you off the dribble and pull up, or drive. I don’t expect he’ll be giving the ball back to Talor with 3 seconds left on the clock because he can’t get a clean, comfortable look. He’ll create his own shot.

Just to tick off Big East fav noobd a little, here’s a Big East/Big Ten breakdown of the Wooden Award list

Big East (7)

Corey Fisher, Villanova
Austin Freeman, Georgetown
Asthon Gibbs, Pitt
Jeremy Hazell, Seton Hall
Kris Joseph, Syracuse
Brandon Triche, Syracuse
Kemba Walker, UConn

Big Ten (10)

Talor Battle, Penn State
William Buford, Ohio State
Robbie Hummel, Purdue
JaJuan Johnson, Purdue
Jon Leuer, Wisconsin
Kalin Lucas, Michigan St
Demetri McCamey, Illinois
E’Twuan Moore, Purdue
John Shurma, Northwestern
Durrell Summers, Michigan St

For completeness sake (assuming I’ve counted right), the other big six majors are ACC (8), SEC (3), Big 12 (7), and Pac10 (6).

[quote=“UncleLar, post:9, topic:1381”]Just to tick off Big East fav noobd a little, here’s a Big East/Big Ten breakdown of the Wooden Award list

Big East (7)

Corey Fisher, Villanova
Asthon Gibbs, Pitt
Kris Joseph, Syracuse
Brandon Triche, Syracuse
Kemba Walker, UConn

Big Ten (10)

Talor Battle, Penn State
Robbie Hummel, Purdue
JaJuan Johnson, Purdue
Jon Leuer, Wisconsin
Kalin Lucas, Michigan St
E’Twuan Moore, Purdue

For completeness sake (assuming I’ve counted right), the other big six majors are ACC (8), SEC (3), Big 12 (7), and Pac10 (6).[/quote]

Wait a minute. You mean that great conference with almost 50% MORE schools than the Big Ten has 30% LESS players on the watch list? Incredible.

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:1381"]Just to tick off Big East fav noobd a little, here's a Big East/Big Ten breakdown of the Wooden Award list

Big East (7)

Corey Fisher, Villanova
Asthon Gibbs, Pitt
Kris Joseph, Syracuse
Brandon Triche, Syracuse
Kemba Walker, UConn

Big Ten (10)

Talor Battle, Penn State
Robbie Hummel, Purdue
JaJuan Johnson, Purdue
Jon Leuer, Wisconsin
Kalin Lucas, Michigan St
E’Twuan Moore, Purdue

For completeness sake (assuming I’ve counted right), the other big six majors are ACC (8), SEC (3), Big 12 (7), and Pac10 (6).[/quote]

Wait a minute. You mean that great conference with almost 50% MORE schools than the Big Ten has 30% LESS players on the watch list? Incredible.

Actually the Big 10 has 43% more players on the watch list as the Big East. ;D

Not only does the Big 10 have more players, I like the players better. I don’t see Fisher, Walker or Triche being legit contenders. I see Triche as the best of the 3, smooth player, kind of reminds me of Walt Frazier, but as a soph? Don’t see it. Kind of smallish, the Big E entries. Only non-guard is Joseph. My frosh of the year in the Big E is Nate Lubick of G’Town. I guess Sullinger is the heavy favorite in the Big 10 for ROTY.

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:1381"]Just to tick off Big East fav noobd a little, here's a Big East/Big Ten breakdown of the Wooden Award list

Big East (7)

Corey Fisher, Villanova
Asthon Gibbs, Pitt
Kris Joseph, Syracuse
Brandon Triche, Syracuse
Kemba Walker, UConn

Big Ten (10)

Talor Battle, Penn State
Robbie Hummel, Purdue
JaJuan Johnson, Purdue
Jon Leuer, Wisconsin
Kalin Lucas, Michigan St
E’Twuan Moore, Purdue

Actually the Big 10 has 43% more players on the watch list as the Big East. ;D

If you look at it that way, it seems even more impressive. I like it. :smiley:

In fairness to the Big East, who I generally will bash every chance I can get, this is a very UP year for the Big 10 - we had a lot of 4 year players all wind up sticking around for 4 years for one reason or another.

The Big East lost something like 5-6 underclassmen to the NBA draft last year, and possibly a few others that didn’t get drafted which I can’t remember? Plus another 3-4 seniors drafted I do believe.

Unless I’m overlooking somebody on this list, I only see one guy drafted from the entire big 10 last year in Evan Turner, who was also just a junior. So - they did have a pretty good load of talent take off from last season that our conference did not, and they seem to have quite a few stars still left.

Be interesting to see what the draft tally is for 2011 in each conference.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:14, topic:1381”]In fairness to the Big East, who I generally will bash every chance I can get, this is a very UP year for the Big 10 - we had a lot of 4 year players all wind up sticking around for 4 years for one reason or another.

The Big East lost something like 5-6 underclassmen to the NBA draft last year, and possibly a few others that didn’t get drafted which I can’t remember? Plus another 3-4 seniors drafted I do believe.

Unless I’m overlooking somebody on this list, I only see one guy drafted from the entire big 10 last year in Evan Turner, who was also just a junior. So - they did have a pretty good load of talent take off from last season that our conference did not, and they seem to have quite a few stars still left.

Be interesting to see what the draft tally is for 2011 in each conference.[/quote]

Crafty, I don’t think that what you are pointing out is very unusuall for these conferences from year to year. It almost seems to be part of the conference culture.

The BIG TEN has kids who are staying to course (well, except for Ohio State). BIG EAST has the kids who jump to the NBA. Probably goes back to the recruiting trail and the types of kids that are targeted by each conference.

Again, just a thought. I wouldn’t mind seeing a breakdown of this, as far as kids being drafted, their year of eligibility, etc, for each conference.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:14, topic:1381"]In fairness to the Big East, who I generally will bash every chance I can get, this is a very UP year for the Big 10 - we had a lot of 4 year players all wind up sticking around for 4 years for one reason or another.

Be interesting to see what the draft tally is for 2011 in each conference.[/quote]

Crafty, I don’t think that what you are pointing out is very unusuall for these conferences from year to year. It almost seems to be part of the conference culture.

The BIG TEN has kids who are staying to course (well, except for Ohio State). BIG EAST has the kids who jump to the NBA. Probably goes back to the recruiting trail and the types of kids that are targeted by each conference.

Again, just a thought. I wouldn’t mind seeing a breakdown of this, as far as kids being drafted, their year of eligibility, etc, for each conference.

Yeah, without doing any looking into it my guess is the Big 10 has more 4 and 5 year players also. I definitely understand what you’re referring to.

Discussion about Luke Winn’s (from SI) Wooden List

Not a ton of love for Talor but at least he’s on there.

Luke looks like he is 17 years old. :stuck_out_tongue: