PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Battle 2nd team

WOW!!!

First team: Evan Turner, Demetri McCamey, Kalin Lucas, E’Twaun Moore and Robbie Hummel

Second: DeShawn Sims, John Shurna, Talor Battle, JaJuan Johnson, Trevon Hughes

Third:Manny Harris, Draymond Green, William Buford, Jason Bohannon, David Lighty (media) /Raymar Morgan (coaches)

With our record can’t say I’m surprised. It’s a product of Ws and Ls, if we were a middle of the pack BT team he would have made first team for sure.

I’ll bet that no coaches in the B10 would take McCamey over Battle.

I was expecting Battle to make first-team. Not sure I agree with E’Twaun Moore and Robbie Hummel BOTH making it over Battle.

That said, atleast they were consistent in honoring winning. Scorers like Battle, Manny Harris and John Shurna paid the price.

McCamey over Battle is a joke

I definitely think that Talor is one of the 5 best players in the league and should be first team, but when your team goes 3-15 in conference and you miss some key shots late in games (Ill, Wisc), then you are going to take a step back. I would have taken McCamey off and put on Hughes from Wisconsin. Winning teams get more players and that is the way it should be, at least in my opinion.

McCamey - 46.9% FG, 36.1% 3pt, 72% FT, 3.2rpg, 6.8 apg, 3.3 TOpg, 14.9 ppg
Battle - 42% FG, 35.5% 3pt, 70.2% FT, 5.4 rpg, 4.2 apg, 2.4 TOpg, 18.8 ppg

[quote=“Tom, post:8, topic:936”]McCamey - 46.9% FG, 36.1% 3pt, 72% FT, 3.2rpg, 6.8 apg, 3.3 TOpg, 14.9 ppg
Battle - 42% FG, 35.5% 3pt, 70.2% FT, 5.4 rpg, 4.2 apg, 2.4 TOpg, 18.8 ppg[/quote]

Here are the three of them side by side by side:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=demetri-mccamey&p1=talor-battle&p2=kalin-lucas

Winning does have a lot to do with it. Everyone seems to be hung up on just the numbers. Who outscored who and who out-rebounded who, etc. Maybe each of these players was chosen because they not only put up good numbers, but they also inspired their teammates to win. Their quality play made their teammates better.

When I posted that the team was better w/o Battle, my thought was (and has been for most of this season), that despite his wonderful talent, he doesn’t make the players around him better. The five players on the first team all have that ability, at least IMO. Only recently has Battle’s play seemed to result in his teammates playing better.

I imagine this will result in yet another lambasting. So be it. Having watched him play for the past three seasons, I have only recently seen his play result in improved play from those around him.

Interesting article in the Pittsburgh Post gazette that said Talor considered quiting the team at the end of January, when he was really frustrated with how the team was performing, I am guessing maybe after the Wisconsin loss at Wisconsin when we had the late game meltdown. I think since the end of January, he has done a better job of getting others involved. His assists are up and his scoring is down, maybe just slightly, but he seems to be taking better shots and make more of them. I think he maybe has learned that he needs to trust his teammates a little more and that he has some good ones. I will still take Talor over McCamey and Lucas.

I can’t stand this “trust your teammates” line. The announcer on BTN said it, and now it’s sticking. He’s freakin’ 3rd in assists, not 11th. He has more assists per game than Lucas, better assist/TO ratio, better on 3’s, better rebounder. Look, they voted for Lucas, so be it. But you don’t have to believe that baloney about “trust”. He has more assists per game than everybody but Turner and McCamey. Think about that, nobody on his team is scoring more than 10ppg, yet he’s 3rd in assists. Not easy to do. Just think if he could feed guys like Sims, Johnson, Tisdale, Sampson, Shurna. He might higher on the assist list…oh, wait, he’s already 3rd.

[quote="Donkey, post:11, topic:936"]Interesting article in the Pittsburgh Post gazette that said Talor considered quiting the team at the end of January, when he was really frustrated with how the team was performing, I am guessing maybe after the Wisconsin loss at Wisconsin when we had the late game meltdown. I think since the end of January, he has done a better job of getting others involved. His assists are up and his scoring is down, maybe just slightly, but he seems to be taking better shots and make more of them. I think he maybe has learned that he needs to trust his teammates a little more and that he has some good ones. I will still take Talor over McCamey and Lucas.[/quote]

I can’t stand this “trust your teammates” line. The announcer on BTN said it, and now it’s sticking. He’s freakin’ 3rd in assists, not 11th. He has more assists per game than Lucas, better assist/TO ratio, better on 3’s, better rebounder. Look, they voted for Lucas, so be it. But you don’t have to believe that baloney about “trust”. He has more assists per game than everybody but Turner and McCamey. Think about that, nobody on his team is scoring more than 10ppg, yet he’s 3rd in assists. Not easy to do. Just think if he could feed guys like Sims, Johnson, Tisdale, Sampson, Shurna. He might higher on the assist list…oh, wait, he’s already 3rd.

Post number 1234 for you has been a favorite of mine.well said.

[quote="Donkey, post:11, topic:936"]Interesting article in the Pittsburgh Post gazette that said Talor considered quiting the team at the end of January, when he was really frustrated with how the team was performing, I am guessing maybe after the Wisconsin loss at Wisconsin when we had the late game meltdown. I think since the end of January, he has done a better job of getting others involved. His assists are up and his scoring is down, maybe just slightly, but he seems to be taking better shots and make more of them. I think he maybe has learned that he needs to trust his teammates a little more and that he has some good ones. I will still take Talor over McCamey and Lucas.[/quote]

You are consistent, if anything. It’s all about Battle and to hell with anyone else. Throw the rest of the team under the bus, as long as Talor gets his numbers.

I guess everyone has to have their staunchest defender. Nice that Battle has you, no matter what the circumstance.

We all know kid is a Battle homer, but, jeez, kind of a reach to pick apart that post to try to prove your point.

Yeah, this trust thing, is IMO just a line thrown out there that somehow has taken legs. Sure his assists jumped up during our last 5-6 games. Have to feel, it has to do with the fact that we have suddenly been putting multiple players in double figures. For those of us who have watched, rooted and studied this team all seaon, have we suddenly said, “boy it is nice to see Talor doing more passing,”? No, because he has been doing it all along. The comments on the board, have more often been how it has been good to see Chris Babb and Jeff Brooks and to a lesser extent Andrew Jones step up their game and convert passes into baskets. Kind of hard to record assists when hardly anyone ever reached double figures besides Talor himself. Having said that, no doubt that as his teamates converted more attempts he may have become more confident in going to them. Arguably, it is a which came first chicken or the egg debate.

I respect kid and most of his opinions. When it comes to Battle though (and anything that relates to him), he seems to lose much of his objectivity (but then again, I imagine some people feel the same way about me and Ed).

FWIW, I have had this opinion about Battle since early in the season. The past 6-7 games however, he has seemed to do a better job of involving his teammates and making his teammates better, despite the comments from whichever announcer referenced him not trusting them.

You are consistent, if anything. It’s all about Battle and to hell with anyone else. Throw the rest of the team under the bus, as long as Talor gets his numbers.

I guess everyone has to have their staunchest defender. Nice that Battle has you, no matter what the circumstance.

No matter what the circumstance? I gave you the circumstance. Check his #'s vs. little Kalin. Tell me what Kalin’s better at. Oh, yes FTA’s. Hmmm, Summers, Allen, Roe, Green, Morgan. Q for you: how come Kalin doesn’t even have 4 assists per game and Talor does? Maybe he doesn’t trust his teammates. I wonder how many blue lines Izzo uses in practice to stop other players.

How many PSU players made 1st, 2nd, 3rd team or honorable mention out of 24 players? Or all defensive team? Iowa had 2 win Honorable Mention. Trust. Puhlease. How many times does he have to outplay Lucas before he’s considered better? Oh, so be it.

Look at this I copied from Lar’s Big Ten Geeks thread re the MSU game,

PSU had a chance at the end but Talor Battle couldn’t get the rebound cleanly and as a result did not get a shot off before the buzzer.

So, the smallest guy on the floor didn’t get an FTA defensive rebound cleanly, and that’s why they lost? He blew the chance? Wow.At least he jumped for it (check the videotape). You know, you’re right. He should’ve “trusted” the big guys to get the rebound. He should stop getting in their way. I hope he trusts them to rebound vs. Minny. We wouldn’t want him to blow another chance.

Wonder if Talor will be back. :wink: Knicks could do a lot better than Duhon. Knicks don’t have a 1st rounder. DeJuan Blair was a second rounder, and unlike #2 pick Thabeet, he’s doing well.

No matter what the circumstance? I gave you the circumstance. Check his #'s vs. little Kalin. Tell me what Kalin’s better at. Oh, yes FTA’s. Hmmm, Summers, Allen, Roe, Green, Morgan. Q for you: how come Kalin doesn’t even have 4 assists per game and Talor does? Maybe he doesn’t trust his teammates. I wonder how many blue lines Izzo uses in practice to stop other players.

How many PSU players made 1st, 2nd, 3rd team or honorable mention out of 24 players? Or all defensive team? Iowa had 2 win Honorable Mention. Trust. Puhlease. How many times does he have to outplay Lucas before he’s considered better? Oh, so be it.

PSU had a chance at the end but Talor Battle couldn’t get the rebound cleanly and as a result did not get a shot off before the buzzer.

So, the smallest guy on the floor didn’t get an FTA defensive rebound cleanly, and that’s why they lost? He blew the chance? Wow.At least he jumped for it (check the videotape). You know, you’re right. He should’ve “trusted” the big guys to get the rebound. He should stop getting in their way. I hope he trusts them to rebound vs. Minny. We wouldn’t want him to blow another chance.

Wonder if Talor will be back. :wink: Knicks could do a lot better than Duhon. Knicks don’t have a 1st rounder. DeJuan Blair was a second rounder, and unlike #2 pick Thabeet, he’s doing well.

Kid, you are more than a little hyper-sensitive here. Little Kalin? You do seem to have a ****-on for Kalin Lucas and his perceived superiority to Battle.

I also don’t know why you are annoyed at the wire story reporting the end of the game at MSU. You seem to think someone is taking a shot at Battle.

FTR, I didn’t say that Battle didn’t trust his teammates (although I have agreed with belief this for much of the season).

I believe he doesn’t make them any better.

Gees kid, the only thing they are doing is describing the action on the floor. They aren’t pointing blame anywhere. You are way way too sensitive regarding Battle.