PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Basketball season

I can’t wait for this basketball season.

Plannin this Mohegan Sun trip has me feelin the same way.

It’s gonna be a fun season regardless of the final record. We’ll be seeing a lot of new faces, a lot of old faces in new roles and some guys coming off injury finally getting to see the court.

I’m ready for the season to start

It is going to be a lot of fun. And it is going to be bigtime rollercoaster ride. I love rollercoasters. I am not expecting a lot in the W-L column but I think it will be an exciting team.

All I ask is at the end of the season that this young team is escalating up during the ride without the pending doom of a big fall.

Hopefully a merry-go-round is in the near future.

I"m excited. I think Trey Lewis is going to be an incredibly exciting player, can’t wait to see what he can do! It’s going to be weird having some big men down low too. Graham, Sasa, Alexis and Ackerman give us some nice size and I loved Graham’s aggression when I saw him play.

Hopefully Billy can find his stroke and play some 3/4!

[quote=“BeerNitLion, post:5, topic:2603”]It is going to be a lot of fun. And it is going to be bigtime rollercoaster ride. I love rollercoasters. I am not expecting a lot in the W-L column but I think it will be an exciting team.

All I ask is at the end of the season that this young team is escalating up during the ride without the pending doom of a big fall.

Hopefully a merry-go-round is in the near future.[/quote]

Exactly.

I don’t expect a whole lot of winning, but I am looking forward to seeing who comes out at the end of the season as being true gamers.

Yeah, if we can only get this other Penn State sport and its season out of the way, so the real season can begin.

I’ve always been excited with fresh teams without any expectations. Those are the ones that make the finest memories.

Take the 1991 Atlanta Braves. Their feat will rarely if ever be duplicated in my mind. Twenty years to the day, the Braves are still contending year-in and year-out and it all started that one summer for a franchise that saw little post season play in its prior history.

This season for PSU, though maybe not in the win column, could be that type of year. Though I’m thinking we might need to give it a year before the team truly hits its stride.

Really glad Tim F is running point for 2 more years.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think we’ve got some talent on the team and will surprise some folks. Not going to make any predictions, but am hopeful the team improves through the course of the year…

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:8, topic:2603”]Yeah, if we can only get this other Penn State sport and its season out of the way, so the real season can begin.

I’ve always been excited with fresh teams without any expectations. Those are the ones that make the finest memories.

Take the 1991 Atlanta Braves. Their feat will rarely if ever be duplicated in my mind. Twenty years to the day, the Braves are still contending year-in and year-out and it all started that one summer for a franchise that saw little post season play in its prior history.

This season for PSU, though maybe not in the win column, could be that type of year. Though I’m thinking we might need to give it a year before the team truly hits its stride.[/quote]

I’d rather not. As a Pirate fan, I hate the 91 & 92 Atlanta Braves. You can keep them.

I applaud TJB for trying to start a thread about basketball. I’m sure he had the best of intentions. :slight_smile:

I'd rather not. As a Pirate fan, I hate the 91 & 92 Atlanta Braves. You can keep them.

I applaud TJB for trying to start a thread about basketball. I’m sure he had the best of intentions. :slight_smile:

I for one am excited about this year. Looking forward to seeing how Sasa comes back, how Graham plays, does Marshall play more like he did vs Purdue, what the offense looks like under Chambers, does Tim play like he did in the Big 10 Tourney, and what the freshmen bring to the table.

I wish we had some reports from pick up games to kow how the new guys look. I’m optimistic for this season and hoping for the NIT. I don’t think NCAA is realistic because we’ll be so raw. I’m optimistic because I think Frazier will add a little more to his offense. I expect Trey to play a lot at the 2 with Marshall at the 2 & 3. I think we will be ok down low with Sasa, Graham and Billy at the 4 & 5. I think the real key is getting quality time and points from Travis at the 3.

Well, maybe we will have a prayer this year with Billy/Graham down low ;D

OK, I’ll stop.

Didn’t we have a kid on this forum last year who was giving us reports from pick-up games at the IM building over the summer?

Yes. In prior years we’d get little bits and pieces on the team during the 2nd summer and fall semesters. I wish that someone who plays pickup games with the players would give us a rundown.

I may have missed this, but is the schedule out yet? If so, can someone post a link? Thanks.

Just the non-con schedule out so far…

2011-12 NITTANY LION NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Sat., Nov. 5 vs. SLIPPERY ROCK (exibition)
Sat., Nov. 12 vs. HARTFORD
Mon., Nov. 14 vs. RADFORD (Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament)
Wed., Nov. 16 vs. LONG ISLAND (Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament)
Sat., Nov. 19 vs. Kentucky (BHOF Tip-Off Tournament) 12:00 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncansville, Conn.
Sun., Nov. 20 vs. South Florida/Old Dominion (BHOF Tip-Off Tournament) 2:00 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncansville, Conn.
Wed., Nov. 23 vs. YOUNGSTOWN STATE
Sat., Nov. 26 at Saint Joseph’s
Wed., Nov. 30 at Boston College (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)
Sun., Dec. 4 vs. MISSISSIPPI
Wed., Dec. 7 vs. LAFAYETTE
Sat., Dec. 10 at Duquesne (Consol Energy Center)
Sun., Dec. 18 vs. MOUNT ST. MARY’S
Wed., Dec. 21 vs. CORNELL