Basketball culture is Nittany Lions' biggest opponent

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/story/1797721.html

That is a good article and is calling out the University. I think that should be more of the focus of our frustrations.

Nothing we don’t know about already, yet the article is a good one with viewpoints from both Feinstein and Davis. Two guys with their pulse on the national scene. Tough to hear for some of our tender ears, but truthful nonetheless.

Most of the Big Ten schools can point to their success in the NCAA tournament and their ability to get to the tourney on a semi-regular basis. PSU and NW are the only two exceptions and the only two schools to not see a Final Four (NW, any tourney for that matter) in most of our lifetimes. Except for you Lar ;D

I thought it was NOT a great article. One…the author looked about 22 years old. What would he know?? Seriously! 2…What does Feinstein know about PSU administration.
Does PSU have Admin. problems. Yes, Of Course. BUT many schools over come MANY draw backs in building winning teams. It does NOT always need a 2 Million a year coach.
I think, PSU would be a great coaching opportunity for a coach who has recruiting ability. It is a HUGE nationally know university with instant name recognation ANYWHERE. Nittany Apartments are almost athletic dorms and are GREAT college living areas. It is in drive time to NYC, Philly, Jersey, Baltimore, DC, Pgh, Cleveland and Albany. PSU is a sleeping giant to a coach who has a PERSONALITY (our last 3 did not) and can recruit. Plus, PSU is a great college experience!
People have to quit making excuses. Yes, Marquette is a “name” school now but did anyone think of how hard it was for Al McGuire to built a tiny Catholic school in a ice burg city in to a hoops power. I have heard several old interviews with McGuire; how he lived on the road recruiting. How many times he was in Pittsburgh recuiting Maurice Lucas in 1971. How many people could spell Marquette;or pronounce it. You think many of the kids McGuire recruited could pick out Wisconson on the map. Now those are serious drawbacks.
What about Georgetown . A ultra white yuppie super expensive super high stanard school that had a weak hoop tradition. Think one coach (Thompson) who could recruit did a good job? He wasn’t payed 2 Million a year when he took the job.
There are many many many other success stories.
It can be done.

It won’t be cheap. Up-and- coming coaches Anthony Grant (Alabama), Tony Bennett (Virginia) and Sean Miller (Arizona) were each awarded

I disagree with these comparisons also. All three of those schools have much better basketball history and recruiting bases than we do, those types of up and coming medium level coaches would probably struggle here for a good long awhile also.

We’re all a little bit ahead of the curve here as Penn State is not currently searching for a new MBB coach. But when that day comes, we’re gong to have to find a guy with a unique combination of personal charisma and communication skills, solid ethics, and a big enough ego to believe he’ll beat the odds and not be intimated by the shadow of Beaver Stadium.

The charisma component–for attracting and closing recruits and drawing media attention–is the part I’m having trouble identifying in prospective candidates.

Great article. He summed it up pretty well - it will cost us 2 million per year for a qualified Big Ten coach who can build this program nationally. I don’t see PSU rolling out that kind of money.

I think Curley is in a tough spot here. If he doesn’t have the cash to pay - what option is he left with? Fired Dechellis and hire another coach who is a total crap shoot?

[quote=“hoops19, post:7, topic:853”]Great article. He summed it up pretty well - it will cost us 2 million per year for a qualified Big Ten coach who can build this program nationally. I don’t see PSU rolling out that kind of money.

I think Curley is in a tough spot here. If he doesn’t have the cash to pay - what option is he left with? Fired Dechellis and hire another coach who is a total crap shoot?[/quote]

Once the Big Ten adds a 12th team, we should have more than enough additional cash flow to pay Joe’s replacement and a basketball coach the “going rate”. I’m hoping ED gets this thing fixed and he’s the one rewarded with the payday.

[quote="hoops19, post:7, topic:853"]Great article. He summed it up pretty well - it will cost us 2 million per year for a qualified Big Ten coach who can build this program nationally. I don't see PSU rolling out that kind of money.

I think Curley is in a tough spot here. If he doesn’t have the cash to pay - what option is he left with? Fired Dechellis and hire another coach who is a total crap shoot?[/quote]

Once the Big Ten adds a 12th team, we should have more than enough additional cash flow to pay Joe’s replacement and a basketball coach the “going rate”. I’m hoping ED gets this thing fixed and he’s the one rewarded with the payday.

He was just rewarded with a 3 year extension for winning the freaking NIT tournament and is now on the verge of leading his team to an 0-18(19) record. He should not see one more penny

[quote="hoops19, post:7, topic:853"]Great article. He summed it up pretty well - it will cost us 2 million per year for a qualified Big Ten coach who can build this program nationally. I don't see PSU rolling out that kind of money.

I never realized that being head basketball coach at Penn State University granted a person the opportunity for the charity of keeping his job until the payday train came in. ::slight_smile:

When will some of you people wake up to the realization that what Ed does is a JOB (for which he should be held accountable and therefore fired if he doesn’t do it well) and not a right (which should not be taken away under nearly any circumstance). ::slight_smile:

Agree - Ed should be out after the season. Great guy and a wonderful representative of the university who does things the right way. Unfortunately, just not enough wins and the program is just not at the level it needs to be. HOW DO YOU RECRUIT AFTER A 0-18 or 2-16 Big Ten season? You don’t - which is why coach needs to go.

He was just rewarded with a 3 year extension for winning the freaking NIT tournament and is now on the verge of leading his team to an 0-18(19) record. He should not see one more penny

See, this is the problem I have with some of you. I make a comment that I hope ED is the one that gets this fixed. And you come back with this. We’re not having a conversation. I didn’t make a single reference to his current job performance – just that I hope he gets this turned around. You aren’t responding to what I said. You are just repeating the same thing you’ve already said 500 times before.

I never realized that being head basketball coach at Penn State University granted a person the opportunity for the charity of keeping his job until the payday train came in. ::slight_smile:

When will some of you people wake up to the realization that what Ed does is a JOB (for which he should be held accountable and therefore fired if he doesn’t do it well) and not a right (which should not be taken away under nearly any circumstance). ::slight_smile:

They won’t. Some are just satisfied with watching the kiss cam, who want’s a pappa johns pizza?,and listening to living on a prayer (for the 1,000,000X) . I actually would like someday in my lifetime to travel to the BJC and watch a consistently competitive basketball team.

Again, I wish a guy well in his future job performance so he gets rewarded. I never said his current perfomance deserves the paycheck. You guys continue to craft comments however you want in order to get your sad point across.

See, this is the problem I have with some of you. I make a comment that I hope ED is the one that gets this fixed. And you come back with this. We’re not having a conversation. I didn’t make a single reference to his current job performance – just that I hope he gets this turned around. You aren’t responding to what I said. You are just repeating the same thing you’ve already said 500 times before.

My apologies. I hope Ed someday is the one worthy of that huge payday. Now back to reality

My apologies. I hope Ed someday is the one worthy of that huge payday. Now back to reality

Yeah, back to reality. I think, in reality, ED will be coaching next year at Penn State. So I’m hoping next year looks a lot like the 12-6 year we had 15 years ago. Nothing wrong with trying to stay positive.

Yeah, back to reality. I think, in reality, ED will be coaching next year at Penn State. So I’m hoping next year looks a lot like the 12-6 year we had 15 years ago. Nothing wrong with trying to stay positive.

12-6 ? I’ll one up you…I’m going for 18-0 next year. What the hell, right? :wink:

12-6 ? I’ll one up you…I’m going for 18-0 next year. What the hell, right? :wink:

HA!, you have me confused with JYD!

I haven’t finished my algorithmic modeling for next year’s predictions yet, but my early forecast was in the neighborhood of 17-1 or 18-0. :wink:

No, you chose to state “I’m hoping ED” is “the one rewarded with the payday”. That goes well beyond commenting Ed is the one to get this fixed (what exactly is “this” anyway? The current state of Penn State Basketball? Seems to me after seven seasons, Ed has had the opportunity to “get this fixed”, or are we still blaming poor performances, like his season’s 0-12 start, on Jerry Dunn?).

You speak of a more personal desire to see Ed succeed, no matter how long it takes, and regardless of the impact on the health of the program and the perception of the program nationwide (care to guess how many times the Lions were coined as “bottom feeders” over the past 5 days?). Care to guess how many more times it will happen over the next three weeks?