PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Back From the Game - Some Thoughts

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:2921"]So, let me get this straight....
(TOTAL number of season tix for the women's program) 
  • (TOTAL number of season tix sold for men’s program)
    + single game sales for the MSM game
    = only 7,202

REALLY ?!?!? :-[

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::)[/quote]

And who exactly expected the promotions group to have solved this already? Hoops attendance isn’t a problem that’s going to be fixed overnight.

How about the idiots that hired them ?

Penn State Partners With IMG College Ticket Solutions

"IMG has a track record of great success on campuses across the nation, and we're confident that working together we can have an [i]immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often[/i]."

Would you care to debate the definition of “immediate impact”, Lar? ::slight_smile:

“Impact” does not equal “answer”.

“Impact” does not equal “no effect” either.

immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often

The statement is pretty straightforward, yet you still look for a back door on this one.

I’m not looking for any back door. The real point is you have no way of knowing if more people have showed up a result of the new agency or not, yet somehow you are proclaiming that you know they haven’t had an impact. ::slight_smile:

Lar,

This thing that gets people to shake their head over the way you operate is you never can just give a good ole “touche’” to someone who has one-upped you with a good comeback. You always have to argue your point till it just gets old. If I were to say the sun is rising in the East, you would come back and say that “really it’s rising in the East-South-East today” and you would go on to prove it somehow.
Well good for you.

i thought the point that Skeeza brought up about “immediate impact” was fairly black and white and didn’t need any further debate. But once again, you proved that you can’t let the littlest of things rest.

Sorry…though I still love ya Lar :slight_smile:

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:2921"]So, let me get this straight....
(TOTAL number of season tix for the women's program) 
  • (TOTAL number of season tix sold for men’s program)
    + single game sales for the MSM game
    = only 7,202

REALLY ?!?!? :-[

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::)[/quote]

And who exactly expected the promotions group to have solved this already? Hoops attendance isn’t a problem that’s going to be fixed overnight.

How about the idiots that hired them ?

Penn State Partners With IMG College Ticket Solutions

"IMG has a track record of great success on campuses across the nation, and we're confident that working together we can have an [i]immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often[/i]."

Would you care to debate the definition of “immediate impact”, Lar? ::slight_smile:

“Impact” does not equal “answer”.

“Impact” does not equal “no effect” either.

immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often

The statement is pretty straightforward, yet you still look for a back door on this one.

I’m not looking for any back door. The real point is you have no way of knowing if more people have showed up a result of the new agency or not, yet somehow you are proclaiming that you know they haven’t had an impact. ::slight_smile:

Lar,

This thing that gets people to shake their head over the way you operate is you never can just give a good ole “touche’” to someone who has one-upped you with a good comeback. You always have to argue your point till it just gets old. If I were to say the sun is rising in the East, you would come back and say that “really it’s rising in the East-South-East today” and you would go on to prove it somehow.
Well good for you.

i thought the point that Skeeza brought up about “immediate impact” was fairly black and white and didn’t need any further debate. But once again, you proved that you can’t let the littlest of things rest.

But, but, but you seem like the type of guy that LOVES everybody, NittanyIllini! ;D
BTW, GOD BLESS you for that, you are a better man than me! :smiley:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:21, topic:2921”]This thing that gets people to shake their head over the way you operate is you never can just give a good ole “touche’” to someone who has one-upped you with a good comeback. You always have to argue your point till it just gets old. If I were to say the sun is rising in the East, you would come back and say that “really it’s rising in the East-South-East today” and you would go on to prove it somehow.
Well good for you.

Sorry…though I still love ya Lar :)[/quote]

When I see a good comeback, I acknowledge it. Skeeza’s wasn’t one of them (surely you didn’t think I’d let your point pass, did you? :wink: ).

This thing that gets people to shake their head over the way you operate is you never can just give a good ole "touche'" to someone who has one-upped you with a good comeback. You always have to argue your point till it just gets old. If I were to say the sun is rising in the East, you would come back and say that "really it's rising in the East-South-East today" and you would go on to prove it somehow. Well good for you.

When I see a good comeback, I acknowledge it. Skeeza’s wasn’t one of them (surely you didn’t think I’d let your point pass, did you? :wink: ).

Of course I knew you’d be all over my response with a response of your own.

To each their own I guess…I liked Skeeza’s response.

And yes, Cappy, I try to go through life with a smile on my face. After traveling the world and seeing what most people have to deal with on a daily basis, we are extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to be free and to voice our opinions on something as trivial as Penn State basketball, without having anyone (sans Lar) violate us. :smiley:

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:21, topic:2921"]This thing that gets people to shake their head over the way you operate is you never can just give a good ole "touche'" to someone who has one-upped you with a good comeback. You always have to argue your point till it just gets old. If I were to say the sun is rising in the East, you would come back and say that "really it's rising in the East-South-East today" and you would go on to prove it somehow. Well good for you.

Sorry…though I still love ya Lar :)[/quote]

Of course I knew you’d be all over my response with a response of your own.

And yes, Cappy, I try to go through life with a smile on my face. After traveling the world and seeing what most people have to deal with on a daily basis, we are extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to be free and to voice our opinions on something as trivial as Penn State basketball, without having anyone (sans Lar) violate us. :smiley:

I see both sides of this fight. I see where skeeza is coming from – attendance this season is as bad as ever (or it seems that way). On Lar’s side-- how much worse would it be without the IMPACT of the new ticket marketing group? We don’t really know either way.

In all seriousness…I can recall that when I went to PSU (mid 80’s), all the games were free for students (am I correct?). Had they charged for us to get in, a lot of us might not have gone to the games to see Dwight Gibson, Craig Collins, Carl Chrabas, Jim Newcomer and the like. Not exactly the golden age of PSU hoops (if there is one) but as I recall they still got some lively crowds, albeit in a much smaller and more intimate venue.

Why charge students? You want fannies in the seats, then open the door to the students and stop nickel and diming their azzes.

Liked Gibson a lot … a little past my time, but enjoyed going back up to see him. I believe Collins was our breakthrough to the Philly recruiting market.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:24, topic:2921”]Of course I knew you’d be all over my response with a response of your own.

And yes, Cappy, I try to go through life with a smile on my face. After traveling the world and seeing what most people have to deal with on a daily basis, we are extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to be free and to voice our opinions on something as trivial as Penn State basketball, without having anyone (sans Lar) violate us. :D[/quote]

Hey now, save that kind of talk for the Sandusky thread! :o

:wink:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:26, topic:2921”]In all seriousness…I can recall that when I went to PSU (mid 80’s), all the games were free for students (am I correct?). Had they charged for us to get in, a lot of us might not have gone to the games to see Dwight Gibson, Craig Collins, Carl Chrabas, Jim Newcomer and the like. Not exactly the golden age of PSU hoops (if there is one) but as I recall they still got some lively crowds, albeit in a much smaller and more intimate venue.

Why charge students? You want fannies in the seats, then open the door to the students and stop nickel and diming their azzes.[/quote]

The post in the other thread about all the people that got up and left after the womens game on Sunday reminded me of those days. They had double headers back then too. There would be 6000 or so at the start of the womens game, 2000 or so when the mens game started.

…and back to hoops.

I took the fam to the game and had a ball! We got to watch PSU play really well (at least in the second half), my son got a free sub from a hot cheerleader, and we got free big mac’s on the way home. (and a “thank you” to the gentleman who noticed how excited we were and gave us his ticket for his big mac)

My notes:

• I literally laughed out loud when we got called for two moving screens (can’t remember who on here has a pet peeve with that).
  • Liking Marshall’s game. For the most part seems to know when to shoot the J, or drive to the rim. Good vision for teammates.
  • Timmy rocks. Too bad a few floaters and layup eeked out or he would’ve had maybe 6 more points.
  • FINALLY Cam and Billy hit some open 3’s. Need to have that in a penetrate and dish offense.
  • Glover plays a solid game, but has little confidence in his offense. I wish his layup wasn’t blocked late in the game - that was a real nice play.
  • Trey’s got game and a nice J. One of my favorite plays of the night was from Trey in the corner, a fake and drive past his defender then a baseline pass to Cam (or Marshall - can’t remember) for an open 3 on the opposite corner.
  • Travis shows great speed and quickness for someone his size. If/when he can stay out of foul trouble for dumb stuff, he’ll fill the box score.

Overall I was really glad the guys played the way they know they can. We were “on” on all level’s in the second half - Defense, rebounding, hustle, shooting - and I hope that carries over against Cornell. I think we’re gonna start to see more and more stretches where we’re “on” - as opposed to game-long droughts. I really think it’s a mental/confidence thing, and we’re getting there.

I’m the moving screen “pet peeve” guy. These 2 violations were just a little sloppy by our players. Good teaching tools!!

If i remember from the TV broadcast, I think they said MSM only had 6 scholarship players on their roster.

Did I hear that right?

oh yeaaahhh. ha ha. The first one was practically inevitable. Two post players up top for Timmy to pick whoever he wanted to use for a pick and drive on either side. Can’t throw that hip out there. Timmy probably should’ve gotten closer to the guys that were already set and use the screen better. PC’ll probably (hopefully) teach that during the film session.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:32, topic:2921”]If i remember from the TV broadcast, I think they said MSM only had 6 scholarship players on their roster.

Did I hear that right?[/quote]
I thought I heard that also!!

Tundra I am with you on that. I used to go ballistic last year watching 4 year guys making the same stupid mistakes every game.