PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Back From the Game - Some Thoughts

Good to see us beat someone we should beat by a lot.

Good defensive pressure most of the game.

Good to see us shooting 50% from the field, 77% from the line and 40% on threes.

What I really liked was that we came out hard in the 2nd half and a five pt lead became 10 and then 20 and then 30. We had something like an 8 pt lead early on Laf and they came back. This time we kept building on the lead in the 2nd half.

Looks like Tim gets doubled (or at least off the ball helped) whenever he has the ball at or near the top of the key - which means that teams think he is our only legit offensive threat. Good to see five guys in double figures disprove that assertion.

Overall, I like the hustle and scrap in this team. They’re going to need it. Even after a three game losing streak, I see guys slapping hands all the way down the bench when they come out; diving for loose balls, etc. Very good sign.

I think I saw Jon Graham dressed for the game - maybe he’ll even get to play against Cornell. We’re going to need him.

Even though I haven’t seen it anywhere official, looks like Peter Alexis will redshirt this year - especially since Alan Wisnewski got into the game and Peter didn’t. If nothing else, Peter has a Big 10 body.

I sat right across from the PSU bench and it was a hoot listening to Pat yell throughout the game (in marked contrast to Ed). The Lions were playing D in front of him during the first half and he must have yelled out a dozen times “You’re not playing hard!!” He didn’t have much to complain about in the 2nd half.

I noticed that listed attendance in the Penn State boxscore was 7,202 ::slight_smile:

recogonized 5000 of them … same folks that carried Chicago’s 3rd Ward for JFK in 1960 … hard to believe they’re still alive ;D ;D

I’m sure my two empty seats were counted, even though I was in Maryland for a Christmas party.

I tried many times to give my tickets away to anyone who wanted them, without success.

We’ve been through this a zillion times. Attendance is not fannies in the seats even if you want it to be. Attendance is tickets distributed (basically tickets sold plus the passes they give out). Since season tickets are already sold, they are in every attendance figure whether the ticket holder goes or not. So yesterday’s attendance included ALL men’s season ticket holders PLUS all women’s season ticket holders PLUS any single game tickets sold at the $5 promotion PLUS the passes.

That’s the way that the business works. Get over it.

I was nice to see Lewis play 18 minutes and look solid.

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:2921"]I noticed that listed attendance in the Penn State boxscore was 7,202 ::)[/quote]

We’ve been through this a zillion times. Attendance is not fannies in the seats even if you want it to be. Attendance is tickets distributed (basically tickets sold plus the passes they give out). Since season tickets are already sold, they are in every attendance figure whether the ticket holder goes or not. So yesterday’s attendance included ALL men’s season ticket holders PLUS all women’s season ticket holders PLUS any single game tickets sold at the $5 promotion PLUS the passes.

Here’s a question for l you, Lar… How did they count the people who are season ticket holders for BOTH men and women? Did they get counted twice? That would seem a little disingenuous to me, although if they had double the tix, what’s to say they didn’t at least TRY to give one pair away to someone else?

That came through on tv a few times too…it was hilarious.

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:2921"]I noticed that listed attendance in the Penn State boxscore was 7,202 ::)[/quote]

Here’s a question for l you, Lar… How did they count the people who are season ticket holders for BOTH men and women? Did they get counted twice? That would seem a little disingenuous to me, although if they had double the tix, what’s to say they didn’t at least TRY to give one pair away to someone else?

They get counted twice. Why is it disengenuous? Both tickets were sold regardless of whether they were used or not. Once you accept the fact that attendance does not reflect fannies in the seat, it’s obvious that they should be counted twice.

They get counted twice. Why is it disengenuous? Both tickets were sold regardless of whether they were used or not. Once you accept the fact that attendance does not reflect fannies in the seat, it’s obvious that they should be counted twice.

I think it’s disengenuous by calling it attendance… For any other game, they call it attendance, but they’re really using sold tickets as their “counter” for the number… and as bad as an estimate as it is, well, it is what it is. To then count tickets sold twice, to the same person, as “attendance” is another, further, reach of the truth for me.

maybe I just feel like counting tickets sold is, in itself, disengenuous, so it wasn’t that far of a reach for me :wink:

So, let me get this straight…

(TOTAL number of season tix for the women's program) 
  • (TOTAL number of season tix sold for men’s program)
    + single game sales for the MSM game
    = only 7,202

REALLY ?!?!? :-[

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::slight_smile:

2 other points come to mind…

1.) If you are able to get into the Hartford game free, which was played after the home football game against Nebraska, with a ticket stub from the Nebraska game, should “attendence” for the Hartford game be listed as 112,378 ? Boy, those would be some long lines at the concession stands at the BJC !! :stuck_out_tongue:

2.) There was no announced “attendance” figure for the lady’s game against Wagner, the first game of the double header. I wonder why that is ?!?! ???

+1 :smiley:

[quote=“Skeeza, post:11, topic:2921”]So, let me get this straight…

= only 7,202

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::slight_smile: [/quote]

And who exactly expected the promotions group to have solved this already? Hoops attendance isn’t a problem that’s going to be fixed overnight.

Nice try. Unfortunately, the game was free to everyone. You didn’t need to present a football ticket stub so you can’t make your lame connection.

So, let me get this straight....
    = only 7,202

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::slight_smile:

And who exactly expected the promotions group to have solved this already? Hoops attendance isn’t a problem that’s going to be fixed overnight.

How about the idiots that hired them ?

Penn State Partners With IMG College Ticket Solutions

"IMG has a track record of great success on campuses across the nation, and we're confident that working together we can have an [i]immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often[/i]."

Would you care to debate the definition of “immediate impact”, Lar? ::slight_smile:

I got to the game around 3 PM - just as the women’s game was ending. What really surprised me was how many people left after the women’s game. I can understand if women with little girls left the game and weren’t interested in the men’s game, but I saw a bunch of guys leave the game. Most of the guys I saw leaving were with wives/significant others. I guess that just shows what a mountain Pat Chambers has to climb to get fan interest and tails in the seats for men’s games.

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:2921"]So, let me get this straight....
    = only 7,202

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::)[/quote]

"IMG has a track record of great success on campuses across the nation, and we're confident that working together we can have an [i]immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often[/i]."

Would you care to debate the definition of “immediate impact”, Lar? ::slight_smile:

“Impact” does not equal “answer”.

= only 7,202

That ticket promo group which was to be the answer to everything isn’t panning out like everyone thought it was going to !!! ::)[/quote]

“Impact” does not equal “no effect” either.

immediate impact on getting more Nittany Lion fans to more games more often

The statement is pretty straightforward, yet you still look for a back door on this one.

= only 7,202

The statement is pretty straightforward, yet you still look for a back door on this one.

Well, they never said it was going to be a positive impact. :wink:

= only 7,202

I’m not looking for any back door. The real point is you have no way of knowing if more people have showed up a result of the new agency or not, yet somehow you are proclaiming that you know they haven’t had an impact. ::slight_smile: