Back from the classic

All seats were general admission and since we were in the losers bracket, and the crowds were light we could sit anywhere. I had not sat this close to the floor since our undergrad days in Rec Hall, which was 20 years before the Big Ten and somehow watching those early 70’s teams play Juniata and such just isn’t the same. Man these kids today are so physically and athletically head and shoulders better. A lot of fun being that close.

We sat just to the center court area of the PSU bench. So we were close enough to hear all the bench chatter. I never realized how constant ALL the coach’s are in yelling out instruction. Every trip (especially on defense) they are all coaching and shouting out instruction. In some cases it is probably overkill, as with them all barking instruction, that sometimes is directed toward different players it has to be difficult for the players to filter all the messages out. At one point in the Davidson game with them all shouting Talor let them know they (the team) had it covered when he dribbled over by the bench and quietly said, “were cool, were cool.“

Many times I have felt that Ed has been too passive in working the officials, but being that close gave me a different perspective. Ed must have communicated his disagreement on calls no less than ten times in the Tulane game and a few times he really got on them. Yeah, because he is not demonstrative about his objections it’s only something you would realize if you are right in the bench area.

Jeff Brooks improvement is just great to see. Offensively it is easy to see that his confidence has taken a big uptick and he is taking it to the basket with some assertiveness, which is something we haven’t seen in his first two seasons. Still not as physically strong as he needs to be as a down low defender. In the second half today I thought he reverted to the arc and that is not where he needs to be.

Tim Frazier is going to have a great career. Athleticism and quickness, just jump off the page and IMO his shooting is not the huge deficit that we had heard about. He has looked bad in some situations where he no longer can beat defenders with the ease he did high school. He is still trying to adjust to the faster, bigger opponent, but he will adjust and the mistakes will lessen. His vertical is off the charts, kid has a lot of upside.

I’m not sure what made Billy Edwards knee unplayable on Thursday and Friday and able to go 18 minutes today but I was glad to get to see him. Rusty for sure, and it showed when he didn’t finish some close in shots that I am sure he will when he gets rid of the cobwebs. Not at all shy and what’s great is that HE DOES TAKE IT TOT THE BASKET. Also I thought he showed presence and poise for a first time gamer.

Sasa is another freshman with good upside. It’s been mentioned here that he shows a good basketball IQ. I agree with that. He should be a solid role player for us this year, who can come in and play steady and without many mistakes. I was disappointed that he didn’t see the floor in the second half today.

Almost every game in this tournament came down to the last 90 seconds of play and the separation on these teams is less than it appears.
We have a bunch of new players and players playing different rolls. There is still a lot of settling into roles going on. This team is going to get better. With the improved Big Ten it might be hard to always see it. This team is going to need something that this board is often short on and that is patience.

Thanks for the input, sounds like you had a good experience there despite the team’s performance.

Thanks for the positive report. I am sure I will get negative karma for saying so, but it is nice to read positive things. I know those two losses were tough, but it is a long season, and I am really excited to see our team play, they are a great group of talented Nittany Lions. I am lucky to have seats behind the PSU bench and it is interesting to hear what the players say to each other and what the coaches say to the players. If you do not have great seats, sneek down during the nonconference games and sit behind the PSU bench (first or second row, there should be a few open seats). I am looking forward to seeing Bill play in a game. I saw him play in practice and really liked how he moved and shot. On the note of seeing the team practice, if you join the hoops club you get to sit in on a practice. I highly recommend anyone who is not in the hoop club to join, that practice is worth the dues alone. Go State!

Duff,

Sorry I could not join you in Charleston today. Nice to hear you salvaged the trip with a win and a neat PSU hoop experience. Great report on the team. I agree, patience is the key. Welcome home.

Nit’ini

Thanks Duff.

Good stuff, thanks

Oh and as a Paternoviller that stands right behind the football bench I can vouch that you hear and see a lot more coaching than what you might see from other parts of the stadium so I’m not suprised that ED is the same way. I love Preston for his fire, its great to see such passion

[quote=“Duff, post:1, topic:329”]Almost every game in this tournament came down to the last 90 seconds of play and the separation on these teams is less than it appears.
We have a bunch of new players and players playing different rolls. There is still a lot of settling into roles going on. This team is going to get better. With the improved Big Ten it might be hard to always see it. This team is going to need something that this board is often short on and that is patience.[/quote]

Duff - thanks for the report. I got the impression listening to Steve and Dick that if we had merely had poor shooting games instead of awful shooting games, we could have won all three games. Your report verified this.

I remain very optimistic about this year’s team and expect we’ll be pretty good by the end of the season.

Duff, goog stuff.

Now, I noticed no comments about Jones, Ott, Babb.

Would you think, seeing these guys, the starting lineuep should be DJ, Brooks, $Bill, Battle and Fraizer?

I already felt I was being verbose, so I decided to stop where I did instead of making it a ramble.

Since you ask, I’ll offer my thoughts.

I remember a recent post on Andrew where his intensity was questioned. Someone responded that his intensity is not an issue.
I agree with the latter. Andrew has intensity, you can see him work hard he just dosn’t get the results many of us would like to see, but I respect how hard he works. IMO the post people I saw on the 6 teams that I watched in this tournament were quicker and more athletic.
They say you can’t teach soft hands and several times Andrew would be getting a ball in the right spot but wasn’t able to get a clean catch and by the time the momentary bobble was over the play had passed him. If Ed can get Jeff to play more back to the basket it could pay some dividends for Andrew too.

It is academic that the increased playing time for Tim Frazier and now Bill Edwards will cost Chris Babb court time. Edwards took the ball to the basket and in his 18 minute Davidson baptism more than Chris has done in two years. The staff might have got on Chris for his aversion to penetrate because in the Davidson game he penetrated the perimeter on several occassions. Even then, that was as deep as he penetrated, so there was no shot taken and he passed, it suggested that he knows they want him to do more than just spot up. If your going to be pretty much strictly a spot up shooter (ala Lisicky or Morrison) you’ve got to shoot better than Chris has been.

I thought Andrew Ott had some nice minutes for us in the Tulane game (2 points 5 boards in 10 minutes). In the Davidson game he trailed and got beat back down the floor (not because and lack of effort) in the first half. Ed immediately pulled him, and that was it for the day.
Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P7510/M16 Tablet Pc Computers
Descargar Series

[quote=“Duff, post:10, topic:329”]I already felt I was being verbose, so I decided to stop where I did instead of making it a ramble.

Since you ask, I’ll offer my thoughts.

I remember a recent post on Andrew where his intensity was questioned. Someone responded that his intensity is not an issue.
I agree with the latter. Andrew has intensity, you can see him work hard he just dosn’t get the results many of us would like to see, but I respect how hard he works. IMO the post people I saw on the 6 teams that I watched in this tournament were quicker and more athletic.
They say you can’t teach soft hands and several times Andrew would be getting a ball in the right spot but wasn’t able to get a clean catch and by the time the momentary bobble was over the play had passed him. If Ed can get Jeff to play more back to the basket it could pay some dividends for Andrew too.

It is academic that the increased playing time for Tim Frazier and now Bill Edwards will cost Chris Babb court time. Edwards took the ball to the basket and in his 18 minute Davidson baptism than Chris has done in two years. The staff might have got on Chris for his aversion to penetrate because in the Davidson game he penetrated the perimeter on several occassions. Even then that was as deep as he penetrated, so there was no shot taken and he passed, it suggested that he knows they want him to do more than just spot up. If your going to be pretty much strictly a spot up shooter (ala Lisicky or Morrison) you’ve got to shoot better than Chris has been.

I thought Andrew Ott had some nice minutes for us in the Tulane game (2 points 5 boards in 10 minutes). In the Davidson he got beat trailed and got beat back down the floor (not because and lack of effort) in the first half. Ed immediately pulled him, and that was it for the day.[/quote]

Ott does have an issue with his hands and his speed. But if we could get him the ball in the right places he could give us solid mins.Hope it works out that way

Thanks again btw, good stuff