Auburn fires Jeff Lebo after 6 seasons

15-17 this year, 6-10 SEC.

4 losing seasons in 6 years. Only 1 NIT in 2009

96-93 overall.

Curley has a vision though

Now the firings are rolling in. Boise state fired their head coach after a 15-17 record. He was there for 8 seasons and had a record of 142-112. Oh yeah and he was their 2nd winningest coach in their history. Nice to see some schools be proactive. Interesting that the auburn coach got fired. I always considered them grouped in with us- a big football school that was trying to get a good basketball team going. I sure hope this “vision” includes nothing less than an NCAA appearance for next season. Anything less than that will be unacceptable to me.

[quote=“psu_DC, post:1, topic:967”]15-17 this year, 6-10 SEC.

96-93 overall.

Curley has a vision though[/quote]
Yes, and it is of $$$$$$.

Seriously, what do you expect?

It reminds me of the five stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and, finally, acceptance. You still have a ways to go to reach stage 5. :wink:

The program makes $$$, there are no violations or embarrassments to be seen (aside from Pringle’s library incident), the team competes in most every game, and Ed is a damn likable guy.

Why on earth would Curley ever make a change?

Besides, in a few days, the basketball season will be a forgotten memory to all but the most fervent PSU fan, and even those 100 or so people will say “Oh, well” soon enough too.

That one is actually sort of strange. With the small population in their state, and playing in a small conference, I’d think 142-112 would be enough to hang on. Apparently it’s not quite enough for their AD- they want to go to the NCAA more. What a thought. I’m in a very bad mood after reading Curley’s comments. It would not be good if he threw Ed under the bus, but this fairly lengthy endorsement may come back to haunt him pretty soon.

15-17 this year, 6-10 SEC.

96-93 overall.

Curley has a vision though

It reminds me of the five stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and, finally, acceptance. You still have a ways to go to reach stage 5. :wink:

The program makes $$$, there are no violations or embarrassments to be seen (aside from Pringle’s library incident), the team competes in most every game, and Ed is a damn likable guy.

Besides, in a few days, the basketball season will be a forgotten memory to all but the most fervent PSU fan, and even those 100 or so people will say “Oh, well” soon enough too.

It would not take an enormous investment for it to make more $$$ - by winning and generating interest. That is where I just lose Curley’s thought process. He seems more like an accountant than an AD. Yet the university had to make a huge investment in the BJC to join the Big Ten, and that was related to basketball. Thus, it seems to be a total case of mismanagement to not be looking for the amount of investment that maximizes revenue from this program. Merely finishing in the black is not the goal of any good management type that is worth his/her paycheck.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:967"]15-17 this year, 6-10 SEC.

96-93 overall.

Curley has a vision though[/quote]

It would not take an enormous investment for it to make more $$$ - by winning and generating interest. That is where I just lose Curley’s thought process. He seems more like an accountant than an AD. Yet the university had to make a huge investment in the BJC to join the Big Ten, and that was related to basketball. Thus, it seems to be a total case of mismanagement to not be looking for the amount of investment that maximizes revenue from this program. Merely finishing in the black is not the goal of any good management type that is worth his/her paycheck.

Given my limited knowledge of the budget, the expenditures, the income, the personnel, and what it would take to make a change, I understand where I think Curley’s thought process is coming from.

That may make me as ignorant, as stupid, as uncaring, or as dense as Curley is to some of you; but to me, it makes perfect sense.

In a way, I feel sorry for Ed on one hand, while on the other I am envious of him.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:967"]15-17 this year, 6-10 SEC.[/quote] Yes, and it is of $$$$$$.

Given my limited knowledge of the budget, the expenditures, the income, the personnel, and what it would take to make a change, I understand where I think Curley’s thought process is coming from.

That may make me as ignorant, as stupid, as uncaring, or as dense as Curley is to some of you; but to me, it makes perfect sense.

In a way, I feel sorry for Ed on one hand, while on the other I am envious of him.

I doubt Curley has ever asked a top consulting firm to help him quantify the revenue increase that may come from a investing to build a competitive Big Ten program - coach, facilities, travel, recruiting cost - everything weighed against the forecast benefits from each investment. That’s the way you make the decision if it’s all about revenue. I can guarantee you that the maximum revenue doesn’t come from last place finishes and a 3/4 empty arena all year long, with 3-4 weeknight ESPN games. He doesn’t know where to start or who to hire for this kind of a study. He also wouldn’t understand the results.

I also understand where Curley’s thought process is coming from. From a guy who sticks his head in the sand when the subject of men’s basketball comes up. He is essentially in denial that he is supposed to be managing a Big Ten program in this revenue sport.

[quote="psu_DC, post:1, topic:967"]15-17 this year, 6-10 SEC.[/quote] Yes, and it is of $$$$$$.

I doubt Curley has ever asked a top consulting firm to help him quantify the revenue increase that may come from a investing to build a competitive Big Ten program - coach, facilities, travel, recruiting cost - everything weighed against the forecast benefits from each investment. That’s the way you make the decision if it’s all about revenue. I can guarantee you that the maximum revenue doesn’t come from last place finishes and a 3/4 empty arena all year long, with 3-4 weeknight ESPN games. He doesn’t know where to start or who to hire for this kind of a study. He also wouldn’t understand the results.

You may be right, but I doubt he would figure this out from reading what we post here.

Do you think he is reading posts here? No Way! Although he did respond to a text message rather than waiting to make a more formal statement - which seemed a little odd to me.

Curley is being absurd. There should be an evaluation meeting next week or something with the coach before he comes out and says he is OK with where the program is going. It certainly was not the type of season where you can feel comfortable giving a ringing endorsement the morning after the last game.

Where does he think this is going? Everybody that follows this program knows he’s going to have to fire Ed after next year. The post scoring isn’t going to show up between now and then, it’s just going to get even more perimeter oriented with Buie. Do you think a team like that will go to the NCAA out of a loaded Big Ten? All Curley is doing right now is defending his own bad decision on the extension he gave Ed last year. I wonder what Spanier thinks about his AD sending text messages to newspaper reporters?

[quote="bballguy, post:2, topic:967"]Now the firings are rolling in. Boise state fired their head coach after a 15-17 record. He was there for 8 seasons and had a record of 142-112.[/quote]

That one is actually sort of strange. With the small population in their state, and playing in a small conference, I’d think 142-112 would be enough to hang on. Apparently it’s not quite enough for their AD- they want to go to the NCAA more. What a thought. I’m in a very bad mood after reading Curley’s comments. It would not be good if he threw Ed under the bus, but this fairly lengthy endorsement may come back to haunt him pretty soon.

I really think Boise St. is trying to get into the act when all the conference shake ups are happening. They want the basketball program to be on a elite (top 25 level) when it all hits the fan so they will get scooped up by atleast the MWC if lucky the PAC 10

[quote="bballguy, post:2, topic:967"]Now the firings are rolling in. Boise state fired their head coach after a 15-17 record. He was there for 8 seasons and had a record of 142-112.[/quote]

I really think Boise St. is trying to get into the act when all the conference shake ups are happening. They want the basketball program to be on a elite (top 25 level) when it all hits the fan so they will get scooped up by atleast the MVC if lucky the PAC 10

I agree. They are posturing and want to be a big time university, sports and all, and it’s just starting to happen. They are where Penn State was years ago.

Speaking of Penn State years ago - Bryce Jordan had a vision for the University that involved the Big Ten, and he understood the role of sports in that arrangement. I don’t think he would have liked this AD

You may be right, but I doubt he would figure this out from reading what we post here.

Do you think he is reading posts here? No Way! Although he did respond to a text message rather than waiting to make a more formal statement - which seemed a little odd to me.

Curley is being absurd. There should be an evaluation meeting next week or something with the coach before he comes out and says he is OK with where the program is going. It certainly was not the type of season where you can feel comfortable giving a ringing endorsement the morning after the last game.

Where does he think this is going? Everybody that follows this program knows he’s going to have to fire Ed after next year. The post scoring isn’t going to show up between now and then, it’s just going to get even more perimeter oriented with Buie. Do you think a team like that will go to the NCAA out of a loaded Big Ten? All Curley is doing right now is defending his own bad decision on the extension he gave Ed last year. I wonder what Spanier thinks about his AD sending text messages to newspaper reporters?

No, I don’t think he read posts here. I was being facetious.

That being said, what makes you think he is going to have to fire Ed after next year, unless it is for non-permitted use of university communication devices. :wink:

Just for comparison’s sake:

Lebo = 6 years / 96-92(16-15 per) OVERALL / 35-61(6-10 per) SEC
DeChellis = 7 years / 95-123(13-17 per) OVERALL / 34-93(5-13) B10/11

Wasn’t Lebo one of those vaunted “big name” coaches that everyone wanted here?

Yep, I think he was.

[quote="Tom, post:14, topic:967"]Wasn't Lebo one of those vaunted "big name" coaches that everyone wanted here?[/quote]

Yep, I think he was.

He wasn’t a big name. He pretty much had a similar resume to ED. People wanted him because he was a well-known local who was fondly remembered from his playing days.

Yes, and I will admit, I was one of those who mentioned him.

I think people wanted Leno for a couple of reasons. He was a hot shot young coach, had Pa ties and was tied to Dean Smith.

I actually wanted Conan O’Brien. And if not him, I want David Letterman. :wink:

I think people wanted [b]Leno [/b]for a couple of reasons. He was a hot shot young coach, had Pa ties and was tied to Dean Smith.
I actually wanted Conan O'Brien. And if not him, I want David Letterman. ;)

yeah, kudos to Auburn for making the decision NBC couldn’t. Leno just isn’t funny and his brand of comedy is awful