PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Attendance is Everything

Here’s an interesting look at attendance as it relates to “football school” vs “basketball school”

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1818

Great find, Tom! That’s a very interesting study.

A couple of thoughts/observations

1. I think you see a lot more empty gyms than football stadiums. Even bad teams can draw nice crowds on a fall saturday. Try getting people in your gym during December break with no-one on campus and you’re playing a campus chumpcake.
  2. Some of the 2-sport dominant teams are really hoops schools with small football stadiums that are easier to full. A lot o the ACC fall into this category UNC, Wake and UVA are examples I can think of… although UNC football has been trying to make strides lately.
  3. Some of the “football” schools suffer from being large universities with large areans that are tough to fill… PSU is squarely in this category.
  4. The basketball only list is very interesting, isn’t it… Finding Pitt there brings a little smile to my face, although I think they are skewed from haveing Heinz field count as their home field.

Interesting way to look at it, although percent of capacity is somewhat sketchy. I might have gone with raw numbers.

In any case, this shows the Big 10 with 9 schools either both dominant or basketball dominant, and Nebraska is knocking on the door as both:

Football dominant: Penn State and Nebraska
Basketball dominant: Indiana and Illinois
Neither: Northwestern
Both: Everyone else

The Big 10 is a great conference in which to be a college athlete.

Does this situation meet the “science model” test??

It seems there are very different ways “attendence” figures are gathered! This has been discussed before. Remember the “tickets distributed” discussion. What is “distributed??” “Distributed” - FREE tickets can be everywhere!!
I been told same teams still use a “visual estimate” for it’s announced football attendence. Want to bet on how accurate that figure is??

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:2581”]Does this situation meet the “science model” test??

It seems there are very different ways “attendence” figures are gathered! This has been discussed before. Remember the “tickets distributed” discussion. What is “distributed??” “Distributed” - FREE tickets can be everywhere!!
I been told same teams still use a “visual estimate” for it’s announced football attendence. Want to bet on how accurate that figure is?? [/quote]

I agree - fannies in the seats is the number.

Big 10 would probably skew way more into the upper right quadrant on that basis.

So if PSU played all its games in Rec Hall and pulled 7,000 a game, would they be included in the “two sport dominance” quadrant?

Yup. Which is why tjb thinks “fannies in the seat” are a better measure.

Perhaps Coach Chambers should have “Attitude” bracelets for the players and “Attendance” bracelets for the fans.

This is funny [I]and[/I] someone should do it.

Just institute attendance points for games. Football should do the same thing.

Put some reward or punishment in for attendance.

My $.02 :

1.) Like tbj and MarkH say, to call Kansas a “football dominance” school because they sell about 92% of the seats in a rinky-dink stadium that seats 50,071 is a JOKE !!!

2.) LET’S PUT AN END TO THIS NONSENSE !!! I don’t care if Pitt plays in Heinz field, there is NO REASON why they have low attendance or low percentage of seats sold. Heinz field is not HUGE !!! It seats 65,050 !!!

For the sake of reference, that would rank behind 7(SEVEN) BIG TEN stadiums, or roughly the size of PURDUE’s football field. What if Purdue was only selling at 70% capacity? Would we be discussing the size of their stadium? No, we would be saying how pathetic their football program is, which is exactly what we should be saying in regards to Pitt’s football program. 70% of 65K is 45.5K, which is around or less than HALF of the attendance or either Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Nebraska.

That should give a LOT more persepective on the Pitt attendance issue, rather than just saying “they play in a big NFL stadium, so their poor attendance doesn’t count”.

I would be surprised if Pitt football attendance averages more than 25K a game. Other than a game with ND or a high amount of people essentially their to see the other team, Pitt attendance is bad. Most games I flick past, there are huge areas of nobody in the seats.

Why not weight the attendance figures against how the facility ranks seat-wise.

That way averaging 7000k filled seats for a 7000k venue gets weighted differently than averaging 12k seats filled at a 15k venue

[quote=“Tom, post:13, topic:2581”]Why not weight the attendance figures against how the facility ranks seat-wise.

That way averaging 7000k filled seats for a 7000k venue gets weighted differently than averaging 12k seats filled at a 15k venue[/quote]

7000k - what is that, 7 million? Anyone with a stadium that big should probably be given a little leeway in terms of percent full :wink:

Pitt averaged 52,000 last year.

By game:

New Hampshire 50120
Miami 58115
FIU 45207
Rutgers 50425
Louisville 48562
WVU 60562

Case in point of tickets sold vs. tickets distributed vs. butts in seats.

[quote="Cletus11, post:12, topic:2581"]I would be surprised if Pitt football attendance averages more than 25K a game. Other than a game with ND or a high amount of people essentially their to see the other team, Pitt attendance is bad. Most games I flick past, there are huge areas of nobody in the seats.[/quote]

Pitt averaged 52,000 last year.

By game:

New Hampshire 50120
Miami 58115
FIU 45207
Rutgers 50425
Louisville 48562
WVU 60562

The fact that they only played 6 homes games tells us all we need to know !!!

[quote="Cletus11, post:12, topic:2581"]I would be surprised if Pitt football attendance averages more than 25K a game. Other than a game with ND or a high amount of people essentially their to see the other team, Pitt attendance is bad. Most games I flick past, there are huge areas of nobody in the seats.[/quote]

It would be intersting to know who only counts “butts in seats” anymore? I bet it isn’t very many.

It would be intersting to know who only counts “butts in seats” anymore? I bet it isn’t very many.

I am not aware of anyone who does, although undoubtedly there’s somebody.

Pitt averaged 52,000 last year. By game:

New Hampshire 50120
Miami 58115
FIU 45207
Rutgers 50425
Louisville 48562
WVU 60562

The fact that they only played 6 homes games tells us all we need to know !!!

Bridge for sale near 3 Rivers. Nameing rights included in sale price. Buy now!
Those figures just show how silly this thread has become.